Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Old School CB's
ClassicVW Offline
High Mileage

New Jersey, USA
RE: Old School CB's
(06-05-2017 07:05 AM)The ferret Wrote:  your FIRST bike was a CB 750. That is a lot of first bike!

I've posted it before, but I was a skinny 20 yr old who walked into my Honda dealership looking to buy my first street bike. My experience was on a 1964 Sears Allstate Vespa copy that me and several friends rode, mostly in mall parking lots where the malls were closed on Sundays and also off road!

I was drooling over the CB750 when the salesman came over and informed me it would be too much bike for a young beginner and he could not sell one to me. I did buy a CB360 and two years later moved up to the CB550F.

--George
[i]"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day that you find out why" [/i]-- Mark Twain
06-06-2017 03:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
use2b Offline
High Mileage

Perdido Key Florida
that was a lot of bike for a beginner when my first bike was a yamaguchi 50

The best part about growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old.
former owner of the baddest 2013 CB1100 ever ;] now a plush ride -2014 Goldwing Valkyrie GL1800C
06-06-2017 03:55 AM
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
(06-05-2017 06:29 PM)cb100077 Wrote:  Attaching picture....

I've never seen a '94-'95 CB1000 before, I don't think they brought them to Canada (correct me if I'm wrong?).

Very strong resemblance for sure.

That is one of the things I like about the new CB1100, it incorporates elements of all the CB generations instead of just being a modern copy of one specific old design. My apologies if I offend the purists.
06-06-2017 08:14 AM
c-breezy Offline
Running Like a Top

Irvine, CA
Awesome pic Guaza!
06-06-2017 08:30 AM
mattvoyle Offline
1st Service Completed

Los Angeles
(06-06-2017 03:45 AM)ClassicVW Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 07:05 AM)The ferret Wrote:  your FIRST bike was a CB 750. That is a lot of first bike!

I've posted it before, but I was a skinny 20 yr old who walked into my Honda dealership looking to buy my first street bike. My experience was on a 1964 Sears Allstate Vespa copy that me and several friends rode, mostly in mall parking lots where the malls were closed on Sundays and also off road!

I was drooling over the CB750 when the salesman came over and informed me it would be too much bike for a young beginner and he could not sell one to me. I did buy a CB360 and two years later moved up to the CB550F.

My first bike was the cb1100, which I very quickly learned to respect after getting just a little bit in over my head.

It would be awesome to see modern, smaller CBs exported to the states but I guess Honda thinks Americans wont buy anything smaller than a liter or something.

-
Very old school cool, Guaza!
06-06-2017 01:58 PM
Guaza14 Offline
1st Service Completed

California
It’s like coming full circle with the CB1100 for me. Thanks to everyone for positive feedback.
06-06-2017 11:18 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(06-06-2017 01:58 PM)mattvoyle Wrote:  My first bike was the cb1100, which I very quickly learned to respect after getting just a little bit in over my head.

It would be awesome to see modern, smaller CBs exported to the states but I guess Honda thinks Americans wont buy anything smaller than a liter or something.

A number of people have bought the CB1100 as their first bike and opinion on the forum has been divided as to the wisdom of that decision. My view, for what it's worth, is that 1100 ccs is a lot of bike for a novice rider. You would not be allowed to ride such a large bike on the road in Australia for at least a couple of years after obtaining your first open licence. I think the same is true in much of Europe too.

As to a smaller bike, I was going to tell you that Honda imports a lovely CB400 four cylinder bike to Australia and even give you a link so you could drool over it. But I went looking and it's no longer shown on Honda's Australian web site which means they've dropped it. They're still available in two models in Japan. We are getting the new CB600F tuned down to make it legal for learners. It's not nearly such a pretty bike as the CB400, but it's OK.
06-07-2017 12:29 AM
mattvoyle Offline
1st Service Completed

Los Angeles
(06-07-2017 12:29 AM)Cormanus Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 01:58 PM)mattvoyle Wrote:  My first bike was the cb1100, which I very quickly learned to respect after getting just a little bit in over my head.

A number of people have bought the CB1100 as their first bike and opinion on the forum has been divided as to the wisdom of that decision. My view, for what it's worth, is that 1100 ccs is a lot of bike for a novice rider. You would not be allowed to ride such a large bike on the road in Australia for at least a couple of years after obtaining your first open licence. I think the same is true in much of Europe too.

As to a smaller bike, I was going to tell you that Honda imports a lovely CB400 four cylinder bike to Australia and even give you a link so you could drool over it. But I went looking and it's no longer shown on Honda's Australian web site which means they've dropped it. They're still available in two models in Japan. We are getting the new CB600F tuned down to make it legal for learners. It's not nearly such a pretty bike as the CB400, but it's OK.

I'd agree that it's probably a wiser decision to start on a smaller bike, but here in 'MURICA we like to blow stuff up first and think of the consequences later.

That being said, even for how big our 1100 is, its still pretty tame compared to the typical liter+ sportbike. Beer
06-07-2017 12:46 AM
PowerDubs Offline
Road Warrior

NWNJ
Old School CB's
Very tame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

104whp / 75wtq ... for now.
06-07-2017 09:22 AM
Wisedrum Offline
High Mileage

Germany
(06-07-2017 12:29 AM)Cormanus Wrote:  You would not be allowed to ride such a large bike on the road in Australia for at least a couple of years after obtaining your first open licence. I think the same is true in much of Europe too.

In Germany you must have a certain age, I think it's 25, to drive all kind of bikes immediately after getting your driving license. If you're younger, let's say 18, you start in the 48HP class and will grade up to the open ones after 2 years.

Don't know, if the CB is a good bike to start with. Too long ago, that I started motorbike riding.
So, yes and no. You should have a somehow good physical condition, because it's kind of heavy and has relative thin wheels. What feels good once in motion takes some experience and getting used to when the CB stands still or is being tried to be put on the main stand or being moved back and forth by yourself without the engine running or helping. The engine is certainly not the strongest one on earth but far away from being weak and can create some surprising excitment while being reved even for an more experienced rider. It depends on which gear he is in. But if a beginner is careful and takes his time to grow and develope with the Honda, the process will be mastered and he will enjoy a lovely bike for lots of years to come.

Wisedrum
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2017 12:14 PM by Wisedrum.)
06-07-2017 12:02 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
What did you do to/with your other bike?
:blush:Lord Popgun — 05:28 PM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
I put Spring air in my bike tires… : . . .Nachodaddy — 04:46 PM
Nice bike Gold! My first bike was a . . .GoldOxide — 04:34 PM
Nice bike Gold! My first bike was almos . . .Lord Popgun — 03:56 PM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
I put Spring air in my bike tires… :DLord Popgun — 03:55 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
There could always be worse headlines . . .Gone in 60 — 03:10 PM
Todays weather
Today was overcast and it reached about . . .GoldOxide — 02:53 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That is very pretty! I'm a bit chal . . .GoldOxide — 02:46 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,531
» Latest member: Tom the mod
» Forum threads: 15,992