Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rain Gear
Supervillian Offline
Break-In Period

Alexandria, VA
RE: Rain Gear
I wish the demo took place in a ginormous downpour in some mountainous back roads in WV, with the rain suit buried under a water bottle, jumper cables, sunscreen, peanuts, spare gloves, maglight, and maps. That would give me a basis from which to compare!

"...he crossed that line between everyday villainy and cartoonish super-villainy..."
02-27-2017 06:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
paulw Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
(12-30-2016 06:45 AM)Stichill Wrote:  Nice!

I had a set of Frogg Toggs that served me well, but I melted one of the pant legs on a Guzzi V7 pipe in Europe last year. Replaced them with an Olympia Horizon rain jacket and pants. The material packs down very compactly and is self-storing with a built-in pocket. Very comfortable and breathes well.

Interesting. I bought a set last year and found them pretty much useless. Within 10-20 minutes my crotch was wet and withing 30 minutes the shoulder were also wet. They have now been delegated to the garbage and I have, for now, gone back to me 15 year old set of Dry Rider gear.
05-14-2017 05:37 AM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I am sure a 60 to 70 MPH head wind would push the rain through all those forward facing zippers.

I bought a good motorcycle rain suit in the early 80s. I was leading about 50 members of our touring club down highway 401 towards Toronto through a car wash like rain storm. At Oshawa it was just like I passed through the car wash exit curtain. It was suddenly sunny and dry.

I pulled over about a 1/4 of a mile up to watch everyone else exit the car wash. As I stood up, all the water that had gathered in the crotch of the rain suit found its way in. Not a comfortable feeling. Fortunately it was a warm and sunny day after that, so at 70 MPH it didn't take long to dry off.

I now wear a Columbia rain suit I bought for fishing. Great gear that is truly waterproof. As it has a hood I can wear under my helmet, water does not trickle down my neck and into my clothing. It also breathes, so I don't get wet from the inside out during hot weather.
05-14-2017 10:59 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(05-14-2017 05:37 AM)paulw Wrote:  

I had a set of Frogg Toggs that served me well, but I melted one of the pant legs on a Guzzi V7 pipe in Europe last year. Replaced them with an Olympia Horizon rain jacket and pants. The material packs down very compactly and is self-storing with a built-in pocket. Very comfortable and breathes well.

Interesting. I bought a set last year and found them pretty much useless. Within 10-20 minutes my crotch was wet and withing 30 minutes the shoulder were also wet. They have now been delegated to the garbage and I have, for now, gone back to me 15 year old set of Dry Rider gear.

paul..of Frogg Toggs or Oympia Horizon rain gear?

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
05-14-2017 05:54 PM
chync Offline
Running Like a Top

Charlotte North Carolina
Not sure if the Frogg Toggs wearers are talking about the older material or the newer stuff. I just bought a pair made of the newer material and they now have a heat resistant panel on the inner leg to help prevent melting on a hot engine or muffler. I haven't been able to test them yet but they look pretty heavy duty. The zipper covers all have a stiff double flap kind of thing that at least looks like it may have a chance of keeping water out. But they didn't go on real fast for me over my gear. I was looking at another one piece suit that did go on fast but a guy that reviewed it said his crotch ended up wet so I bought the Frogg Toggs instead. I'm ready to for for a wet ride if it will rain on a weekend for me.
05-14-2017 06:17 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
I bought some Frogg Toggs last year and could not possibly have been more disappointed. The difference between wearing and not wearing them was very hard to discern.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2017 07:53 PM by Cormanus.)
05-14-2017 07:52 PM
paulw Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
(05-14-2017 05:54 PM)The ferret Wrote:  
(05-14-2017 05:37 AM)paulw Wrote:  

paul..of Frogg Toggs or Oympia Horizon rain gear?

I should have been clearer. I was speaking of the Frogg Toggs.
05-18-2017 07:42 AM
offroadfx4 Offline
High Mileage

Indiana
Has anyone tried the over boot rain things like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Hilitchi-Waterpro...D3JC98WBM4

I have some frog toggs, haven't been in the rain yet, but they are bright yellow like the sun, I think they may actually prevent rain from happening ;-)

Also which "Lobster Claw" over gloves are best brand for a cheap price?

2018 BMW K1600GT
2014 Honda CB1100 STD
1984 Kawasaki GPZ750
1978 Yamaha YZ125
1976 Honda CB750 (cost $1776 new)
1973 Honda CB350
1970 Honda 50 Mini Trail
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2017 08:37 PM by offroadfx4.)
06-28-2017 08:35 PM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
When Penny and I travelled long distances on the Goldwing we had fabric lined rubber lineman gloves (gauntlets) in the saddlebags that would fit over our riding gloves. Ugly yellow things that we bought at Home Depot, but they kept our hands warm and our gloves dry in the rain. Worked well in cold weather too because they broke the wind.

We also had cheap fleece lined rubber boots in a waterproof bag strapped to the luggage rack on top of the trunk. With the rain suit over them our feet stayed dry and warm, while our leather riding boots stayed dry in the waterproof bag. You could walk through puddles in muddy restaurant parking lots with the rubber ones.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2017 09:07 PM by Nortoon.)
06-28-2017 09:05 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Offroad, I saw some blokes with the overboots during the Ride Down Under. They seemed to think they were OK and I thought I should get some as my boots always fill with water. I bought some From George Toggs and was bitterly disappointed by them. Might as well not have bothered putting them on.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2017 04:13 AM by Cormanus.)
06-29-2017 04:13 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Brake Pads... Simplified
I bought all my pads from my Honda deale . . .peterbaron — 12:21 AM
Brake Pads... Simplified
i think those come from the same fac . . .Yata-Garasu — 10:28 PM
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.