Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Starting on a CB1100 as a first bike
omarj Offline
Break-In Period

USA
Hi Gang,

I'm new to the forums, and just wanted to ask the question has anyone started on a CB1100 as their first bike?

I recall reading a thread earlier where a similar question was posed, however it was from a returning rider after many years had passed that he/she decided to pick up motorcycling again.

I've read numerous articles that recommend people to not start on a liter bike whatsoever, however if I understand correctly the CB1100 is fast, but not as fast as what's considered a sports bike.

Now the reason for me wanting to start on a CB1100 is that to me it's a gorgeous bike, and it has something that just draws me to it. I know a lot of people recommend to start on a used 650/300 as a starter, but that doesn't make much economical sense to me. I'd rather just go out and buy a brand bike then having to use money to learn on something where ultimately I'd have to take extra time to sell it, and then pick up the CB1100.

However, I do understand the argument as well where it's better to start on a used bike then to drop/damage a new bike.

Ultimately I felt that it was best to ask the forum users here what their thoughts are as the question I had was tied to a specific bike, vs just categorizing liter bikes. Again from my understanding even though the CB1100 is a fast bike, it's not as powerful as compared to the liter bikes most people are referring to.

A little bit of information about me is that I'm a fresh rider, recently got my license with addition to taking the MSF course. I currently live in the Bay Area(California), and my expectation of riding this motorcycle is not to ride fast, but to just enjoy riding. Speed/Power isn't really my thing, again I really just want to enjoy the ride.

As a side note, alternatives people have told me to get instead of a CB1100 or a used bike is to look into the Rebel 500.

Any thoughts, criticism, or additional input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
06-23-2017 10:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nhawk7504 Offline
Running Like a Top

Boston
RE: Starting on a CB1100 as a first bike
Hi Omarj.
Yeah the Rebel 500 would be great as a starter bike.
You could start on the CB1100 if you have the strength to hold the bike up at stops. Its heavy but plenty of Japanese riders bought one.
It has VERY powerful front brakes. It has LOTS of torque so it goes from a start very quickly. But one can ride it slow as it was designed by just easing the throttle open quietly for sure.
It's always best to start on a small bike just to get used to riding in traffic. But if I was just starting out and knew for sure that my goal was a CB1100, I might buy one as a first bike and get a friend to cruise me around as a passenger and show me how the bike works. I used to always ride on the back of my friend's bikes when I was just starting out.
Welcome!

(06-23-2017 10:25 AM)omarj Wrote:  Hi Gang,

I'm new to the forums, and just wanted to ask the question has anyone started on a CB1100 as their first bike?

I recall reading a thread earlier where a similar question was posed, however it was from a returning rider after many years had passed that he/she decided to pick up motorcycling again.

I've read numerous articles that recommend people to not start on a liter bike whatsoever, however if I understand correctly the CB1100 is fast, but not as fast as what's considered a sports bike.

Now the reason for me wanting to start on a CB1100 is that to me it's a gorgeous bike, and it has something that just draws me to it. I know a lot of people recommend to start on a used 650/300 as a starter, but that doesn't make much economical sense to me. I'd rather just go out and buy a brand bike then having to use money to learn on something where ultimately I'd have to take extra time to sell it, and then pick up the CB1100.

However, I do understand the argument as well where it's better to start on a used bike then to drop/damage a new bike.

Ultimately I felt that it was best to ask the forum users here what their thoughts are as the question I had was tied to a specific bike, vs just categorizing liter bikes. Again from my understanding even though the CB1100 is a fast bike, it's not as powerful as compared to the liter bikes most people are referring to.

A little bit of information about me is that I'm a fresh rider, recently got my license with addition to taking the MSF course. I currently live in the Bay Area(California), and my expectation of riding this motorcycle is not to ride fast, but to just enjoy riding. Speed/Power isn't really my thing, again I really just want to enjoy the ride.

As a side note, alternatives people have told me to get instead of a CB1100 or a used bike is to look into the Rebel 500.

Any thoughts, criticism, or additional input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
06-23-2017 11:31 AM
LikeAfox Offline
1st Service Completed

Philadelphia, PA
The internet is full of people making strawmen arguments as to why they should not heed the ancient wisdom of starting on something cheap/easy/light. I'm not going to rehash this stupid argument again, not going to address your bullet points, a simple google search will tell what does and does not make a good starter bike. A cb1100 will cross every t under "do not buy" column. Whatever your reasoning may be, it's incorrect. Looks like you've done some homework and already know this.

Maybe some idiot will show up and tell you it's okay because whatever reasons. People convince themselves that driving without seatbelt is okay too. Some don't wear protective gear. Some think that drinking their own pee in the morning is the healthiest way to go. But collective riding experience of millions of riders, backed by insurance statistics, make for a pretty ironclad argument. You're welcome to disregard all that and do what you wish.

Now for actual advise.
Take MSF first and foremost.
Buy proper protective gear. Don't buy anything online because you want it to fit well, especially the helmet.
Buy a standard motorcycle, like a ninja 250. Ride it for 2 years, sell it for the exact amount of money you bought it for. It's your throwaway bike, but keep it mechanically sound.
Don't buy anything brand new because it will lose value. Also because you will cuss it up in some way or another and it will lose more value. So get something that already has scratches for bottom barrel price.
Go to demo events, ride any bike you can get your hands on. If your friends have motorcycles, try to ride em. Bikes, not friends.
Your opinion on what you actually like is subject to a wild fluctuation. In 2 years you'll have a much better idea of what kind of riding you like to do. And there is a range of bikes tailored to every type.

I'll add that a CB 1100 is a vanity standard cruiser bike that shines on short trips and is great for suburban sprawl. A jack of all trades and master of none. You like it because of it's looks, which is cool. But you don't learn to play guitar on a 12 string, I mean you welcome to it, but it won't crush your leg when you forget your kickstand on a hill. I suck at analogies Big Grin

Good luck
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2017 03:09 PM by Cormanus.)
06-23-2017 11:44 AM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
I wouldn't do it. It's not the power (the CB isn't even that powerful), it's the weight. Learn on something you can easily maneuver and control, then move up to a CB or other heavy bike when you have some miles and experience behind you. There's no shame in that. You might even discover that small bikes can be a lot more fun than big bikes.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2017 11:58 AM by LongRanger.)
06-23-2017 11:57 AM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Hello just wanted to say Howdy and welcome to the forum

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
06-23-2017 12:54 PM
Aka Tsubasa Offline
1st Service Completed

Minnesota
One of my friends first bike period was a 76 CB750. He did fine. If you are a big guy that can muscle a 550 lb bike then cautiously go for the CB1100. Just don't be angry if there is a learning mistake or two and your bike gets damaged.
06-23-2017 01:19 PM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(06-23-2017 11:44 AM)LikeAfox Wrote:  I'll add that a CB 1100 is a vanity standard cruiser

Good luck

a what??? That's a description I've never heard before. ROFL

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
06-23-2017 01:25 PM
Pete Erickson Away
1st Service Completed

Vancouver, WA
I came back to motorcycles after 20+years on bicycles in 2009. I bought a 2009 Moto Guzzi 750 Classic. Still have it. My buddy saw how much fun I was having and decided that he wanted a motorcycle also. Took the MSF class and purchased a big Honda Shadow cruiser. He had never ridden before. The weight of the bike scared him so much that in less than a year, he was riding a CanAm Spyder. I had tried to talk him into something smaller and lighter, but he wanted a BIG bike.

Start with something small, gain some confidence and skill, and then move up to the CB1100.
06-23-2017 01:41 PM
Elipten Offline
Road Warrior

San Antonio, TX
I have been riding since a kid on a mini bike and am now 61. Like many here there is lots of experience. You think it is not powerful but that is in reference to today's bikes that have 3 to 4 times the power of super bikes of 40 years ago!

Do not kid yourself! It is heavy bike and faster than a corvette! Experience will teach control, balance moderation of power and riding technique. Then comes street smarts. You are not near ready just completing the MSF class.

I am going through the same thing with a friend and as I told him no bigger than 500cc and approx 400lbs.

You will drop it probably and other beginner mistakes

You can find those that will support you desired outcome either way. But if ou were m friend I would tell you NO.

You accidentally pull the throttle on the CB you can lose control, pop the wheel up and etc

The gents here are experienced so they just have the control inherently and don't think about it.

Do what you want, you are an adult, be responsible.

But I say start with 300-500cc and when you have at least 5-10k miles and a couple of years then think about it. I would want you to have more to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Current inventory

2014 CB1100 DLX
1990 BMW K75RT
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2017 02:36 PM by Elipten.)
06-23-2017 02:33 PM
baxtercat Offline
1st Service Completed

Rhode Isand USA
I agree with the above. I started in 2014 on a Yamaha SR400, which is light, easy to handle, dead reliable and has the same throw-back UJM vibe as the CB1100 that I purchased this year. The Yamaha is now my commuter/around town bike, and the Honda is for getting out of town. So the learning curve was not for me much of a compromise.
06-23-2017 02:59 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,749

Full Statistics

>