Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The time has come for me to sell, seeking advice.
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
RE: The time has come for me to sell, seeking advice.
The S2000 is indeed a blast and I'm going to have fun getting to know it better. I have little doubt that I'll grow quite attached to it. Being able to hit the road for jaunts with my wife beside me is the icing on the cake (although it seems she gets a bit scared when the VTECH kicks in, lol).

The Hawk GT was simply lust at first site for me. (I still have the photo from the original brochure serving as my desktop image on my MacBook.) It's a cool bike, and I can enjoy it for short periods of time. But when it comes right down to it, I prefer the ergonomics of the CB1100 which is why I end up riding it most of the time. I've kept my Hawk stock with the exception of a Penske shock in the back and RaceTech springs with Gold Valve Emulators up front. I also added a stainless steel brake line up front. I actually acquired a full Supertrapp exhaust for it (found one for a great price), but I never ended up sticking it on the bike. I really liked the looks of the stock unit and was happy enough with the exhaust note that I just left well enough alone.

A problem for me right now is that there are currently seven Hawks for sale in the Portland and Seattle areas combined. That is a lot when you consider that typically there is just one or maybe two (if any) typically listed at any given time. Most guys around here are currently looking for $3500, and some looking for quite a bit more. I don't think that they'll end up getting that amount, but it wasn't more than a few years ago that most were listed somewhere around $2700 on average. As I was working on the garage this evening I was thinking that I might try to spread the word about my Hawk with folks i know locally before posting it up on Craigslist (or ebay for that matter). Sadly, I just don't have that many moto-buddies.

SV650s are great bikes, and yes they can outperform a Hawk, but they sure don't have nearly as much appeal to me as the Hawk does. So it goes.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
06-24-2017 11:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hondahawkrider Offline
Running Like a Top

Maryland
(06-24-2017 11:49 PM)Guth Wrote:  The S2000 is indeed a blast and I'm going to have fun getting to know it better. I have little doubt that I'll grow quite attached to it. Being able to hit the road for jaunts with my wife beside me is the icing on the cake (although it seems she gets a bit scared when the VTECH kicks in, lol).

The Hawk GT was simply lust at first site for me. (I still have the photo from the original brochure serving as my desktop image on my MacBook.) It's a cool bike, and I can enjoy it for short periods of time. But when it comes right down to it, I prefer the ergonomics of the CB1100 which is why I end up riding it most of the time. I've kept my Hawk stock with the exception of a Penske shock in the back and RaceTech springs with Gold Valve Emulators up front. I also added a stainless steel brake line up front. I actually acquired a full Supertrapp exhaust for it (found one for a great price), but I never ended up sticking it on the bike. I really liked the looks of the stock unit and was happy enough with the exhaust note that I just left well enough alone.

A problem for me right now is that there are currently seven Hawks for sale in the Portland and Seattle areas combined. That is a lot when you consider that typically there is just one or maybe two (if any) typically listed at any given time. Most guys around here are currently looking for $3500, and some looking for quite a bit more. I don't think that they'll end up getting that amount, but it wasn't more than a few years ago that most were listed somewhere around $2700 on average. As I was working on the garage this evening I was thinking that I might try to spread the word about my Hawk with folks i know locally before posting it up on Craigslist (or ebay for that matter). Sadly, I just don't have that many moto-buddies.

SV650s are great bikes, and yes they can outperform a Hawk, but they sure don't have nearly as much appeal to me as the Hawk does. So it goes.

I had both.. Sold the sv and had the gt for a long time. I prefer the gt. The only reason I mentioned it was that sv's can be had for same $ and offer more so unless you want a gt, most go sv.

So you have a full supertrapp ...... Hmmmmmmm. I need to go lie down and wait for this feeling to pass...

One of the reasons I like the cb1100 is it reminds me a lot of my gt.. Naked, small fairing, lot of fun in a great package. Kinda what you expect a motorcycle to be, just pure raw fun... Srsly I gotta go lie down now..

[u]'13 cb1100[/u] came with black grab rails, headlight & side covers, hagofuku front/rear fenders, and cats eye blinkers.[u]Added by me[/u]: Staintune Slip-on, Moriwaki sliders, Sport Trunk Seat, Lucas black taillight
06-25-2017 12:07 AM
curlyjoe Offline
High Mileage

Massachusetts
Guth, the dealers around here will buy used bikes. It can't hurt to see how much they will give you and it's painless compared to selling it on your own.

The S2000 looks great!

2013 CB1100 ABS
2008 ST1300
06-25-2017 03:57 AM
ride4now Offline
High Mileage

Florida / Georgia USA
Guth, it's been decades since I sold a bike outright... I've either kept them or traded them. Good luck to you on whatever way you do it. It sounds like our wives are similar... my wife, who rode with me when we were younger won't even think about it now. And I hope you have better luck with yours in the convertible. We had a Corvette and a Mustang convertible in years past and she wouldn't let me put the top down when we rode in it. Something about the wind, the sun, and her hair getting messed up. Good luck!

‘22 BMW R1250 GSA
‘14 Honda CB1100 DLX
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
‘70 Kawasaki H1 500
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2017 11:33 AM by ride4now.)
06-25-2017 11:27 AM
Ole Offline
High Mileage

Evansville Wisconsin
I have had very good luck selling bikes over on ADVrider flea market. 300,000 sets of motorcyclist eyeballs never hurts. Good luck with your sale Guth.
06-25-2017 11:55 AM
jedd Offline
Running Like a Top

Austin, TX
I don't have much to offer in terms of selling the hawk gt,
but congrats on getting your son on off to college.
My oldest is in his 3rd yr at UT Austin, and my youngest is leaving us
come fall as he enters college.
So we too are about to experience that empty nest syndrome.
06-25-2017 12:22 PM
COCB1100 Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
The time has come for me to sell, seeking advice.
(06-24-2017 04:43 PM)Guth Wrote:  I pretty much knew when we found the car that the Hawk would have to go. Honestly, I think I'm okay with that choice. As I keep toiling away in the garage, it just becomes that much more obvious there are additional reasons that it's time to move it along to someone else. Besides, when I have been riding, it's pretty much been on the CB anyway, which I'll still have.

If I find the right buyer, the suspension changes could fetch a few more dollars as I've got a Penske shock on the bike. I could play with the fork setup and see if I could get it to balance out with the stock shock. In which case I would have absolutely no problem selling the Penske on it's own. But that's more time/work so I'd have to think about it. The photos of the Hawk will be able to tell most of the story. It's good to go — the new owner won't need to do much more than put gas in it and enjoy it.

The thing is, I can't recall ever selling a vehicle of any sort on my own before. I sold my old Toyota truck to my brother years ago. My '67 Camaro was stolen. Every other vehicle that I've owned was traded in on something else. So I haven't had to deal with posting an advertisement and deal with strangers regarding an object that I'm rather fond of. Therefore my posting here. I'm sure that there are some general do's an don'ts when it comes to selling a bike.

(06-24-2017 02:53 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  Now ... what's the sports car?

Looking good in that S2K. Funny how your motorcycle (CB1100) is the more relaxed between your droptop and bike. It's not often that can be said.... Hahahaha. Those motors are amazing in terms of specific output and the revs they could reach, particularly the first generation before they bumped displacement and lowered the redline. No wonder your wife gets nervous when it's spinning at the speeds to get on the more lumpy VTEC cam, since it screams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06-25-2017 04:18 PM
Jonz Offline
1st Service Completed

Astoria, OR
I hadn't sold a bike in 32 years when I let go of my Kawasaki and found my new love,CB1100. I looked on line "How to sell a motorcycle" (or something like that). Cash in my hand, proof of endorsment, and safety gear before a test ride. It went pretty well, I really miss the shaft drive though. Maybe you can get visitation or up-dates with pics of great rides.

Jon Z
06-25-2017 06:01 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Thanks all. Did you list it on craigslist Jonz?

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
06-28-2017 12:08 AM
nhawk7504 Offline
Running Like a Top

Boston
Looks awesome Guth!
06-28-2017 09:02 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Brake Pads... Simplified
I use oem pads and I replaced mine at 19 . . .The ferret — 06:39 AM
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.
And yet many young folks do ride them. . . .TooSlo — 06:29 AM