Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
About to pull the trigger on a new 2014
stormbytes Offline
Break-In Period

NYC
About to pull the trigger on a new 2014
Hey everyone ! Just joined up in anticipation of pulling the trigger on a black 2014 sometime this weekend. Still have final numbers to work out with the dealer and some jitters about buying without a test ride (dealer's policy). But she's a beauty and with 4 cyl I can't imagine any lack of power. I'm coming to Honda from the hot lights and flare of Ducati (and an aching back side!). Finally decided to shop with my head instead of the ego! Anyhow... thanks for having me! Looking forward to tips and insights from everyone on the threads.
07-20-2017 06:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
RE: About to pull the trigger on a new 2014
G'day stormbytes and welcome to the forum. Make yourself at home and hunt around. There's plenty of good information here, particularly on how to overcome what many regard as a very uncomfortable seat!
07-20-2017 06:54 PM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Welcome Stormbytes!

The CB is a great bike, but it is not a Ducati. Or a sport bike really. It is a great bike, and will get up and go, but it is not a 4 cyl. Ducati. Other Honda's are.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
07-20-2017 07:12 PM
kennyw Offline
High Mileage

Gold Bar
Personally, I would find another dealer that allows test rides. Take any numbers from the current deal to the next dealer and ask them to match or beat it.

KennyW
07-20-2017 09:22 PM
stormbytes Offline
Break-In Period

NYC
(07-20-2017 09:22 PM)kennyw Wrote:  Personally, I would find another dealer that allows test rides. Take any numbers from the current deal to the next dealer and ask them to match or beat it.

I would stop short of calling it a steal, but the numbers work. I've also managed to get a 5-year Honda service plan at an equally fair price. I wouldn't say no to a test drive, but it's not a deal breaker. It's common for dealers to not allow motorcycle test rides. Will have to go at it on faith Smile It does seem like a sweet ride and I love the look .

(07-20-2017 07:12 PM)popgun Wrote:  Welcome Stormbytes!

The CB is a great bike, but it is not a Ducati. Or a sport bike really. It is a great bike, and will get up and go, but it is not a 4 cyl. Ducati. Other Honda's are.

My duc was a 2-cyl Monster 696. It had a lot of power but was in no sense a comfortable ride. A the time I was a beginner and thought that I needed to get used to riding the 'real bikes". I sold the bike having barely ridden it. This time, now in my early 40's I'm shopping with my head, leaving out the ego and image. The CB1100 seems very comfortable, and while I haven't test-ridden it, 4-cyl 1140cc seems like it would have more than enough power. I'm looking for a long term keeper here and I'm pretty sure I found her. Can't be worse than the Monster.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2017 11:06 PM by stormbytes.)
07-20-2017 11:01 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Stormbytes, the main criticism levelled at the CB1100 by motorcycle jounalists is that it's 88 hp is a bit pathetic compared to the power developed by other litre bikes. It would be a better (or, perhaps, more appealing) bike, they imply, if it generated upwards of 14 hp and went like a cut cat. Your Monster may have given it a bit of a run in the right conditions.

On the other hand hand, those of us who like it know it is capable of a respectable quarter mile and has a flat torque band which allows it to pull smoothly from almost any speed in almost any gear. I tour on mine and find it has more than adequate power for all-day riding at speed limits and higher if you're inclined to be naughty. It roars up hills and generates more than enough oomph to overtake in all circumstances I've come across. By the way, others around here say it's not a great touring bike. They may be right, but it works OK for me.

Summary? Just because it's 1145 ccs doesn't necessarily mean it's a power house compared to other sports bikes. But it's comfortable, capable, light—when it gets moving—and, in my opinion, has a most unforgiving seat after an hour or so. An Air Hawk cushion has worked for me as an inexpensive cure for that problem.
07-20-2017 11:36 PM
Lord Popgun Offline

Virginia Beach
And I'm sure you know that Cormanus meant 114hp and not 14hp... Smile

2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
07-21-2017 04:11 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Thank you popgun. Rolleyes

I actually meant 140 hp!
07-21-2017 04:39 AM
Lord Popgun Offline

Virginia Beach
Well thats even better!! Excited

2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
07-21-2017 04:44 AM
stormbytes Offline
Break-In Period

NYC
(07-20-2017 11:36 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  On the other hand hand, those of us who like it know it is capable of a respectable quarter mile and has a flat torque band which allows it to pull smoothly from almost any speed in almost any gear. I tour on mine and find it has more than adequate power for all-day riding at speed limits and higher if you're inclined to be naughty.

Nowadays I'm really just wanting comfortable, upright seating, good all-around power and classic looks. The Monster was a nice looking motorcycle. It had great pick up when rev'd but always wanted to stay in the 4000+ range or it would start to chug. Riding it was a constant game of throttle-and-gear. I don't miss that one bit. In my mind it detracted from the joy of riding and turned the whole thing into a workout session. Another thing I like about the CB1100 is how QUIET it is!! I want to be able to hear myself think again. The roaring Termignoni CF pipes looked great and sounded the part, but being very noise sensitive I found myself riding with ear plugs more than half the time. My riding style is very much about town, staying clear of city traffic (or as much as can be). I'm all about the speed limit (with selective cheating) and love the idea of smooth acceleration. Overall, as I've said earlier, my only reservation is not being able to test ride the bike for myself. Living in NYC there isn't much choice by way of motorcycle dealers -- certainly not ones I'd consider 'local', and afaik none offer test rides. I can understand them. I've never given test rides to anyone who's bought my used bikes in the past. So that's really the only 'gamble', if I can call it that. With the resumption of CB1100 sales in 2017 there is a rare opportunity to pick up leftover 2014 stock at well below msrp. The incentive is there.

(07-21-2017 04:39 AM)Cormanus Wrote:  Thank you popgun. Rolleyes

I actually meant 140 hp!

I kinda thought maybe you did Smile
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2017 07:18 AM by stormbytes.)
07-21-2017 07:17 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
That is a very good story, Ferret. In . . .The ferret — 03:58 PM
I don't know about that... they're easy . . .Gone in 60 — 03:50 PM