Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Cormanus Chronicles: 7 of 2017
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
RE: The Cormanus Chronicles: 7 of 2017
Nice fritatta. What'd ya eat for breakfast?! Big Grin Seriously that looks like some nice country ridden in nice weather.

The speed control thing in Oz seems to be getting out of hand. Pure revenue enhancement. The pols need to grow a pair (or at least one) and raise revenue the proper way...with a levy.

In the States there's some talk that highway enforcement needs to redirect from speed control to distracted driving interdiction.

2012 Honda CBR250RA Candy Ruby Red/Silver
07-23-2017 07:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
suhawk305 Online
High Mileage

Orange County, NY
Great read Cormanus!

2014 Honda CB1100 Standard
1967 Honda CB77 Superhawk
You don’t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.
07-23-2017 07:08 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(07-23-2017 07:01 PM)Stichill Wrote:  Nice fritatta. What'd ya eat for breakfast?! Big Grin Seriously that looks like some nice country ridden in nice weather.

That was breakfast! Smile

(07-23-2017 07:01 PM)Stichill Wrote:  The speed control thing in Oz seems to be getting out of hand. Pure revenue enhancement. The pols need to grow a pair (or at least one) and raise revenue the proper way...with a levy.

In the States there's some talk that highway enforcement needs to redirect from speed control to distracted driving interdiction.

Crikey! You can sure raise the issues Stichill.

You're right about two things at least: the politicians need to grow a pair and it would be good if they raised more revenue in a more transparent and simple way. If nothing else, using police as tax collectors is extremely inefficient.

However, I don't agree that speed fines are revenue raising pure and simple. Sure, it's a handy by product. But it's not why they're out there. Here, down under, there is a view that speed is the root of all evil on the roads; and, if you can reduce speed, you can reduce the annual road carnage. That's said to be a Good Thing because it preserves life; reduces congestion on the roads; and saves millions of dollars of public revenue on law enforcement, emergency services and heath care every year. In that context the state doing all in its power to reduce speeding makes sense. Assuming of course the premise is correct. It has the added bonus—which our politicians are sadly loathe to point out—that each of us can make a choice about whether we want to contribute. I mostly don't so I try hard not to speed and I don't drink alcohol and ride my motorcycle.

Sunday's exercise was arguably very effective, albeit inefficient. An obvious police presence meant the word got out. There were conversations (as I related) and hand signals and headlights being flashed and all the usual palaver with the result that everybody slowed down. The police achieved their objective: effectively reducing speed in an area and on a day when it could otherwise have been an issue. If they'd wanted simply to raise revenue, a couple of strategically concealed speed cameras would have done the job much better and more cheaply.
07-23-2017 08:39 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
Looks like a great way to spend a Sunday! I always love to see your posts from down under.

Neither of you looked particularly bundled up. Isn't it the middle of winter down there?

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
07-23-2017 10:13 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
It is winter Flyn, but we live in Brisbane about 500 kms south of the Tropic of Capricorn. It's sub tropical. Our nights are cool to cold—it was less than 6ºC last night, but the days climb to the mid 20s (ºC). By my standards it was pretty cool yesterday and I was wearing thermal gear underneath my riding gear. By the time I got home at about 2 pm it was way too hot.

If I were further south, I'd need plenty warmer gear.
07-23-2017 10:27 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Great ride report, Cormanus.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
07-24-2017 04:06 AM