Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Turn Signal - Running light question
Hondahawkrider Offline
Running Like a Top

Maryland
Turn Signal - Running light question
Strange Question

In the "Lucas Light Help" post earlier today, I got what I needed to get it working (board rocks, awesome folks).

My plan is get everything all secure tomorrow, now that I known what to do...

However, as long as everything is a part, I wonder what it would take to allow my rear turn signals to also serve as running lights. I don't know if this is the normal way that the cb1100 is usually set up or not.. I bought mine with an after market tailight and I have cats eye blinkers (tiny) in the front and rear.. I don't believe my rear turn signals ever worked as running lights. I know the front do, so I have to believe the rear can. Since my seat is off and I have finish off the connections to the Lucas rear light, figure I would ask and see if I can get em done at the same time..

Thx in advance

Jason

[u]'13 cb1100[/u] came with black grab rails, headlight & side covers, hagofuku front/rear fenders, and cats eye blinkers.[u]Added by me[/u]: Staintune Slip-on, Moriwaki sliders, Sport Trunk Seat, Lucas black taillight
07-29-2017 07:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
RE: Turn Signal - Running light question
Unless you changed the lenses to red, making the rear blinkers into running lights would be illegal in most states. Red and white (for reverse only) are the only colors approved on the rear by the DOT. Many states have incorporated this into their vehicle codes.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
07-30-2017 01:49 AM
Hondahawkrider Offline
Running Like a Top

Maryland
(07-30-2017 01:49 AM)Flynrider Wrote:  Unless you changed the lenses to red, making the rear blinkers into running lights would be illegal in most states. Red and white (for reverse only) are the only colors approved on the rear by the DOT. Many states have incorporated this into their vehicle codes.
Hmmmm

Might be illegal but in md you only inspect it once and that's long done. I'd rather have the yellows t/s also illumuninated for visibility in the dark.. I've done it on a few bikes..

[u]'13 cb1100[/u] came with black grab rails, headlight & side covers, hagofuku front/rear fenders, and cats eye blinkers.[u]Added by me[/u]: Staintune Slip-on, Moriwaki sliders, Sport Trunk Seat, Lucas black taillight
07-30-2017 06:10 AM
Razor Offline
Running Like a Top

Lawton, Michigan
Without looking; I suspect the rear turn signal bulbs are single element.
The fronts are also single element, but the running light and turn signal get there feed from the "Turn Signal/Position Relay".

Thinking out loud, might be possible to wire the feed for the rears from the fronts. As with most flasher relays; they have a certain load they like to see. So, it might take a bit of experimentation to verify.

-Ray

2014 Honda CB1100, Std
1971 Honda CB175
1975 Honda CB750
1972 Honda CB350 Resto-mod-cafe
2018 Honda Goldwing, Tour, DCT
2019 Honda Monkey
1974 Yamaha RD350
07-30-2017 10:05 AM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
(07-30-2017 06:10 AM)Hondahawkrider Wrote:  Might be illegal but in md you only inspect it once and that's long done. I'd rather have the yellows t/s also illumuninated for visibility in the dark.. I've done it on a few bikes..

Your choice. Just wanted to point out the potential issue. Here in AZ, you can get pulled over and ticketed for it.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
07-30-2017 04:56 PM
Hondahawkrider Offline
Running Like a Top

Maryland
(07-30-2017 04:56 PM)Flynrider Wrote:  
(07-30-2017 06:10 AM)Hondahawkrider Wrote:  Might be illegal but in md you only inspect it once and that's long done. I'd rather have the yellows t/s also illumuninated for visibility in the dark.. I've done it on a few bikes..

Your choice. Just wanted to point out the potential issue. Here in AZ, you can get pulled over and ticketed for it.

My hawk gt had em wired that way, and i had a cop mention it was a good idea... but I'm in MD..

07-30-2017 07:56 PM
davedep Offline
Break-In Period

central california
There's a company in Knoxville, Tn. http://www.electricalconnection.com makes a kit (#01314) that I purchased (about $50.00). It has two LED rings that fit around the rear turn signal bulbs and the wire runs to connect to the turn signals and brake light
When key is on, the rings light with red LEDs like the front. Press either brake and the rings brighten like the brake light. Either turn activated, and the bulb flashes as normal,but no red at that time. Works thru the yellow lens. Check the website.
07-30-2017 10:17 PM
Hondahawkrider Offline
Running Like a Top

Maryland
(07-30-2017 10:17 PM)davedep Wrote:  There's a company in Knoxville, Tn. http://www.electricalconnection.com makes a kit (#01314) that I purchased (about $50.00). It has two LED rings that fit around the rear turn signal bulbs and the wire runs to connect to the turn signals and brake light
When key is on, the rings light with red LEDs like the front. Press either brake and the rings brighten like the brake light. Either turn activated, and the bulb flashes as normal,but no red at that time. Works thru the yellow lens. Check the website.

Oh snap

That sounds like the ticket

Thanks

07-31-2017 01:15 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM