Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bolt/Nut Black Plastic Domed Caps
2017EX Offline
Running Like a Top

U.S.A.
My "Better Half" says I am anal retentive when it comes to my machines and other projects, so I initially hesitated to post my little Mod here. But bolstered by the creativity of others here, decided what the heck, why not. I recently installed SW-Motech case save bars on my bike, and they included black plastic nut/bolt head domed covers. I liked the clean unobtrusive look and initially wanted spares, but could not find them. Then I found them on EBay, listed as "Black Domed Plastic Nut / Bolt Cover Caps", out of China. The material is actually more like a black nylon. It was about $2.50 U.S. for each pack of 10, of each size that was needed, including shipping! They are also available out of the UK on EBay, but more expensive, particularly the shipping. The engine bolts/nuts use "spanner" sizes 17 and 14mm, and are the two sizes needed. I have included before and after pictures of the right side, rear engine hanger bolt/nut heads, plus there is one rear 17mm hanger bolt head on the left side that I capped but did not photograph. They press straight on tightly. To remove grip with a piece of rubber and pull straight off. A very inexpensive, easy, and clean Mod I think. Enjoy.        
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2017 03:30 PM by 2017EX.)
07-31-2017 03:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Bolt/Nut Black Plastic Domed Caps
Wow, never seen that mod before. Looks pretty good I think.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
07-31-2017 03:33 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Looks good.
07-31-2017 03:54 PM
Hondahawkrider Offline
Running Like a Top

Maryland
Looks great, but I'd be interested to how many come off after a few bumps

[u]'13 cb1100[/u] came with black grab rails, headlight & side covers, hagofuku front/rear fenders, and cats eye blinkers.[u]Added by me[/u]: Staintune Slip-on, Moriwaki sliders, Sport Trunk Seat, Lucas black taillight
07-31-2017 10:10 PM
2017EX Offline
Running Like a Top

U.S.A.
(07-31-2017 10:10 PM)Hondahawkrider Wrote:  Looks great, but I'd be interested to how many come off after a few bumps

I had considered that, but so far neither the caps supplied with my Motech bars, or the caps I ordered have had any problems. At the minimal cost of $2.50 for a pack of 10 for each size, I figured I would have spares, and no big deal if some failed. The caps actually stretch slightly pressing on, and the fit consequently is tight. The caps are not difficult to remove if necessary, but do take a deliberate, strong grip to pull straight off. Should a cap get loose, a dab of clear silicone adhesive inside the cap would take care of it, but I dont think it would ever be necessary, based on what I have seen so far.
08-01-2017 01:29 PM
2017EX Offline
Running Like a Top

U.S.A.
I thought I would post an update on this inexpensive little MOD. After many months of being installed, none of these caps have fallen off or even loosened. As I said in the original post, what got me onto these things was the cover caps supplied for the bolt heads and U clamp nuts for the SW Motech engine guards I installed. I liked the clean unobtrusive look so much that I carried it through to all the front engine bolts and nuts, front down tube bolt heads, and small flange nuts under the rear fender. These things work equally well for standard bolt heads, flange bolt heads, and flange nuts. Press on by hand, remove by gripping with a piece of rubber and pull straight off. One of my pet peeves is exposed thread, typical on the flange nut applications. The caps, aside from the clean finished look, also prevent water, dirt, mud, from collecting in exposed thread. Engine heat has not effected the front engine mount bolts heads or nuts either. The only place I have been able to find them is on EBay, from sellers in China. A package of 10 for each size has averaged $2-$2.50 including shipping. The only thing to be careful of, is to order caps based on wrench ( spanner ) size, i.e., the size wrench or socket that fits the bolt head or nut you are ordering the caps for. To do everything will cost about $6-$7.50 for 30 total caps ( lots of spares @ 10 caps per size ). The Wrench sizes are 17mm, 14mm, and 10mm. If you have SW Motech engine guards, the U bolt nuts take 13mm wrench size. Hope this cheap little mod, if you try it, adds to the enjoyment of your CB1100.
11-22-2017 09:37 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM
The Cormanus Chronicles: Remembering Jake an...
I’m sure contemporary rollers have som . . .Cormanus — 02:53 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,751

Full Statistics

>