Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Clutch Point of Engagement & Front End Vibration
2017EX Offline
Running Like a Top

U.S.A.
Clutch Point of Engagement & Front End Vibration
I am no newbie to Motorcycles with 15 owned over the years, so I do not know if the two issues I have with my 2017 EX are mechanical adjustments or just getting used to a different bike. I traded in a Harley to get the EX. The Harley clutch started to grab with the lever about 1/4 inch off the grip. When I rode the EX home from the dealer, the clutch did not start to grab until the clutch lever was between 1/2 to 2/3 released. I also noticed slight up/down vibration on the front end that kicked in around 38 MPH. Back to the dealer, and dropped it off a week later, for the day. Now, my old High School motorcycle buddy has worked on every Honda imaginable over the years. He just bought a new 214 Standard. He told me he does a hydraulic flush and slave bleed every two years on his bikes, and since his new bike had sat for at least 3 years ( mine sat for about 5 months since manufacture ) he did a flush and bleed with new fluid. Afterwards, he said his clutch started to grab with the lever about 1/4 inch off the grip. I told the dealer about this. Picked my bike up and rode home. The dealers response was to set the clutch lever adjuster at the last setting, #5 ( it had been at the middle setting #3 ). The grab point has improved some, but still starts to grab at about half release of the lever. The front end up/down vibration, which is now even worse, was addressed by the dealer by setting the fork preload adjustment to the 4th ring which is even softer than the spec setting of 3rd ring on the adjuster, and letting 1 LB. of tire pressure out of both tires! I had just set both tire pressures at spec, cold the day before with a digital tire gauge. For some reason the fork preload factory setting is second ring on the adjuster for the Standard model, whereas the factory setting for my EX is the 3rd ring. So, is this a getting used to it situation, a dealer mechanic not doing the right thing, or both?
08-05-2017 08:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
RE: Clutch Point of Engagement & Front End Vibration
I'm not really going to be able to help with proper fork pre-load, etc, but those who can will need to know your weight.

I only weigh ~150lbs and the stock setting is good for me, but I did go up one click on the shocks. The lever adjustement is for reach and I have girl size hands (and feet Smile ) and set both mine at 4. That would make the apparent engagement point move. But the clutch is hydraulic and there is no adjustment for it.

Like your buddy, I change the fluid in the clutch and brakes every 2 years. Its hydroscopic so its a good idea to do so, and is easy.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
08-05-2017 09:18 AM
curlyjoe Offline
High Mileage

Massachusetts
The '17 CBs have a slipper clutch so maybe the point of engagement you are seeing is normal vs the older CBs.

Maybe the up/down vibration is due to the front wheel being out of balance? Since it's a spoked wheel, it's possible it needs to be trued too.

2013 CB1100 ABS
2008 ST1300
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2017 11:00 AM by curlyjoe.)
08-05-2017 10:59 AM
2017EX Offline
Running Like a Top

U.S.A.
Thanks to popgun and curlyjoe for the input. I think I will live with the clutch and try to get used to it, at least until the first service. I would be curious as to where the clutch starts to grab for other members though. Since it is a hydraulic clutch, with no adjustment, the clutch slave bleed my buddy did on his might be the only other factor, it is much better than it was, and the #5 setting on the clutch lever is the last one with no more settings past that. That said, it is not slipping, so we shall see. At 190, I weigh 40 Lbs. more than popgun. This morning I set the fork preload back to factory, and tire pressure back to spec. Remember, the dealer had set preload even softer ( 4th ring, stock is third ring ) and let out 1 Lb. pressure from both tires, which was worse than original settings, to the extent my mirrors were vibrating on the way home. It occurred to me that with the dealer softer preload being worse, the stiffer stock preload may have had a dampening effect, as the up/down vibration does not start until 38-40 mph. The dealer said he jacked up the front end and spun the front wheel, and the wheel was true. Then it dawned on me...there are no wheel weights on the rim or spokes. Just as curlyjoe suggested, I think the front wheel may well be out of balance. Every spoke wheel bike I have ever owned had balance weights attached to one or more spokes, and even my Harley mag front wheel had a stick on balancing weight on the rim. Back to the dealer this week for a front wheel balance.
08-05-2017 12:37 PM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
2017EX, I see. I though you were taking about suspension setup. I would agree with you that the wheels are not balanced for some reason.

And to be clear, Curly was not talking about a SLIPPING clutch, but a SLIPPER clutch. Here is a link to a Motorcyclist magazine video that explains them, if you don't already know. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wJOGKCbvMo8

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
08-05-2017 02:10 PM
2017EX Offline
Running Like a Top

U.S.A.
No worries popgun, I knew curlyjoe was referring to a clutch slip mechanism to avoid downshift braking problems at too high an rpm. So, when I referred to my clutch not slipping, I was referring to proper up-shift function. We are on the same page, my thanks, for checking, and glad you did.
08-05-2017 03:28 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
Since the '17 clutch is different from any previous years, you'll probably want to compare it's behavior with other '17 models.

Personally, I thought the same about the clutch on my '13 when I first got it. I set the lever adjustment to grab as early as possible. It still seemed a bit to far out for me, but there wasn't much I could do about it and soon got used to it. My previous bike had a cable operated clutch and I always adjusted it to hit the friction point very early.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
08-06-2017 12:23 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Without going out for a test ride, I can't tell you where my clutch engages lol

As far as settings and tire pressures

Front brake I have on 4
Clutch I have set on 3
Front fork I have 4 rings showing
Rear shocks are on softest setting (in deepest slot)

I have Michelin PR3 tires with
Front 36 pounds
Rear 40 pounds

I weigh 182 out of the shower and 204 in riding gear if memory serves me... Right around 200 at any rate

I would describe my riding style as quick and smooth, without using a lot of rpms. Usually a gear higher than others. Deep apexer maintaining a lot of cornering speed.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
08-06-2017 04:33 AM
SpamJ Offline
Break-In Period

Minnesota
I picked up my CB 1100 on Friday and also have a rhythmic front end vibration. When I talked to the dealer on Saturday they said it might be related to tires as the Dunlops have been returned on occasion. I will be looking for either a balance or a new tire during my first service.

Sam J St. Cloud, MN '17 CB1100EX Not Insane
08-06-2017 08:01 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Ok just rode 41 miles. After 39 1/2 miles I still couldn't tell you where my clutch engaged because I wasn't thinking about it, just riding, and truth be told on this mornings loop, there aren't very many stops, and it's difficult to tell in normal shifting lol. So when I got to my street, I stopped and checked a couple of times. Maybe 1/2 way out maybe a little more? 2014 CB dlx

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2017 08:31 AM by The ferret.)
08-06-2017 08:31 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM