Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Good article comparing the CB with the BMW R nine T Pure
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Good article comparing the CB with the BMW R nine T Pure
That had to be awesome Cormanus.

Despite my rant above about chains and shafts, in choosing between the boxer with shaft and the CB with chain, I would choose the CB every time (and I did...twice).

However if Honda came out with a shaft drive version of the 1100 DLX... all bets are off lol

if it had shaft AND hydraulic valves I'm afraid there would be little holding me back.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2017 01:18 PM by The ferret.)
08-10-2017 01:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
RE: there's no comparison
(08-10-2017 12:59 PM)The ferret Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 10:00 AM)rotor Wrote:  ... and I consider oiling the chain to be an entirely enjoyable activity. But that's me; others will have different opinion).

Yea, I have a different opinion lol. Care if I express it?

Don't enjoy maintaining chains...

I'll be short: he who does not find pleasure in the act of lubricating the critical component before the ride... (heck, I better stop right here).

(08-10-2017 12:59 PM)The ferret Wrote:  My chain drive Honda has 35K miles (1/3 the mileage), needs a new chain and sprockets ($400 plus labor) and has gone thru probably 4 cans of chain lube at $15.99 each (that's not supposed to fling off and get the back wheel, swing arm, and center stand grungy but it does anyway) and requires periodic inspection/adjustments. Most people get between 20K and 25K out of a chain and sprockets.

I have a chain bike with 45K kilometers with both the chain and the sprocket (rear, I didn't look at the front in a while) is in "as new" condition. (My CB1100 has not enough kilometers yet to comment on).

I would never tell others how to lube their chains, but I have a 1 litre container of W80 gear oil, from which I occasionally re-fill a a small, narrow plastic bottle that I keep under the seat, together with a 5 mm flat brush. At every second or third fuel fill I dunk the brush in oil and brush the oil on the upper side of the exposed lower third of the chain length. I do not move the bike to get to the whole length of the chain, I count on the law of averages to ensure every 1000 km every single link of chain gets some love. For all practical purposes the cost is only my time when I stop for fuel anyways - that 1 liter W80 gear oil container was purchased long time ago and it is still one third full. Also, there is no room for the chain lube spray can on the bike, especially while on a trip.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2017 01:44 PM by rotor.)
08-10-2017 01:21 PM
postoak Offline
Running Like a Top

The Woodlands, Texas
Cycle-ergo shows me sitting with a 9 degree forward lean on the CB1100 and also for the Nighthawk 750 and both of these bikes were comfortable as far as lean was concerned. It shows an 18 degree lean for me on the R nine T. I just wonder how comfortable that would be for an older rider.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
Candy Red
08-10-2017 01:53 PM
COCB1100 Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
(08-10-2017 01:53 PM)postoak Wrote:  Cycle-ergo shows me sitting with a 9 degree forward lean on the CB1100 and also for the Nighthawk 750 and both of these bikes were comfortable as far as lean was concerned. It shows an 18 degree lean for me on the R nine T. I just wonder how comfortable that would be for an older rider.

Probably why the rider/writer equated riding the CB1100 with riding a cruiser in terms of comfort and seating position... though I appreciate him distinguishing that it's still plenty peppy and good in corners vs. a La-Z-Boy or sofa on two wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-10-2017 02:00 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: there's no comparison
(08-10-2017 01:21 PM)rotor Wrote:  I have a chain bike with 45K kilometers with both the chain and the sprocket (rear, I didn't look at the front in a while) is in "as new" condition. (My CB1100 has not enough kilometers yet to comment on).

I would never tell others how to lube their chains, but I have a 1 litre container of W80 gear oil, from which I occasionally re-fill a a small, narrow plastic bottle that I keep under the seat, together with a 5 mm flat brush. At every second or third fuel fill I dunk the brush in oil and brush the oil on the upper side of the exposed lower third of the chain length. I do not move the bike to get to the whole length of the chain, I count on the law of averages to ensure every 1000 km every single link of chain gets some love. For all practical purposes the cost is only my time when I stop for fuel anyways - that 1 liter W80 gear oil container was purchased long time ago and it is still one third full. Also, there is no room for the chain lube spray can on the bike, especially while on a trip.

My chain still felt good at 34,000 mi but on this last trip I could feel it had finally gone at 35,000 (56,000 km?). I had adjusted it before the trip and had to readjust it (a lot...as in a full 1/2 turn of the adjusters) after the trip and there was one tight spot.

Rotor, does the 80 wt gear oil fling off on the wheel?

Your system obviously works for you and I would keep doing what your doing. Hope your chain lasts a good long time. If it gets to 151,000 kms without needing replacement I would say it's as durable as the shaft on my ST (only still a lot more work lol).

Personally I would still choose a shaft over a chain on 2 identical models of street bike if offered a choice.

Defender of the Realm
08-10-2017 02:10 PM
curlyjoe Offline
High Mileage

Massachusetts
(08-10-2017 04:40 AM)pittycheria Wrote:  https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/08...y-classic/

Excellent article and thanks for posting! Thumbs Up

2013 CB1100 ABS
2008 ST1300
08-10-2017 02:16 PM
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
oil and chain
(08-10-2017 02:10 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Rotor, does the 80 wt gear oil fling off on the wheel?

I would lie if I denied the problem in its entirety, however the real ugly manifestation of it is reserved for those that put the bike on a stand every 2000-3000 kilometers, rotate the rear wheel and pour oil out of a squeeze-can as long as there is some left. Brush is my friend Smile A good indication of a wrong way to oil the chain is the need to put a rug underneath the chain: if you have lost a drop you are doing something wrong. (Why do you think my 1-litre can of gear oil last me a couple of years Wink (on a couple of motorcycles Smile
08-10-2017 03:05 PM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
To the best of my knowledge, there are no shaft drive race, or true high performance motorcycles. There are ample benefits and drawbacks to each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
08-10-2017 06:11 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
True Capo, all points which I believe I acknowledged above. If I were riding a high performance bike in a sporting manner that is something I would take into consideration, but neither of my bikes are considered high performance by todays standards and I hardly drive them in a manner which would make a chain advantageous.

Defender of the Realm
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2017 06:53 PM by The ferret.)
08-10-2017 06:50 PM
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
comparing the CB with the BMW R nine T
(08-10-2017 06:11 PM)Capo Wrote:  There are ample benefits and drawbacks to each.
I absolutely agree.

My point was not that one is universally better than the other - but instead that there is such a substantial difference between the two, that anybody with sufficient experience with motorcycles will be drawn to one or the other, instead of being drawn to a "retro bike style", no matter what the power delivery system happens to be.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2017 06:53 PM by rotor.)
08-10-2017 06:52 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,751

Full Statistics

>