Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Arrow Pro-Racing nichrom Silencers
Macduff Offline
1st Service Completed

NE UK
RE: Arrow Pro-Racing nichrom Silencers
(08-11-2017 12:48 PM)The ferret Wrote:  That sounds pretty raspy. Bet it sounds good at full song (always liked that expression)

I'm amazed you can take a video with a phone and post it here. Crazy world.

They definitely don't have that rasp listening to them by the bike. I gave it a bit of revs on a short ride and it didn;t sound much fruitier than stock though I suspect it is (a little) . They seem very much designed not to exceed homologated noise standards with the baffles in.

2017 CB1100RS (just gone but not forgotton), 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sport.
08-12-2017 06:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Macduff Offline
1st Service Completed

NE UK
Well it would appear that I can resist everything but temptation. Pulled the baffles from the cans, Very easy to do, the tang just snaps off with the flick of a small flat blade screwdriver , the baffles are held in with a large circlip which is relatively easy to remove if you have decent circlip pliers. Mine appear to be cheap nasty circlip pliers so kept slipping out before I got the clip compressed enough to remove (its large so fairly strong). ANyway after a few attempts the clips were out and the baffles were easy to pull with a light tug using some pliers.
Sound wise at idle is a lot deeper but not obnoxious , I didn't bother recording it as the mic on iPhone maxed out with baffles it wouldn't have coped with the airwave pressure increase without baffles. On the move its a lot more sporty sounding but still not obnoxious. Both my other bikes are louder and they either have original oem exhausts (ducati) or a UK BS stamped can (GSXR) though these are from an era when noise regs were a lot more relaxed (mid 90s duc, mid 80s Suzuki). Overall I'd say without baffles its probably sounds more like an 80s IL4 UJM would back in the 80s on the OEM exhaust, probably more like a Z1000 Kwaks as I recall the 80s CB(900) Hondas were still more silenced than the equivalent Kwak.
Anyway I'm glad its not obnoxiously anti social , will have to see how it ages.

08-22-2017 11:58 AM
Macduff Offline
1st Service Completed

NE UK
Last update (until something changes). I had fun being an oike for a week or so with the rorty CB but after riding in at a steady speed when I just wanted to chill and enjoy the scenery it was too much droan for my eardrums. So the baffles are back in. I suspect if a chap could be bothered the stock baffles could be tweaked for a little more sound either by shortening them or adding more holes, but I've better things to do with my time such as sitting on my backside posting crap on t'interweb.

09-06-2017 11:27 AM
holy666diver Offline
Running Like a Top

Murrieta, Ca
fRemove the baffles you'll see a world of difference. How the heck will they know you removed the baffle?
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2017 11:11 AM by holy666diver.)
09-07-2017 11:10 AM
skidmarkart Offline
1st Service Completed

Durham, NC
Dang, those are some good lookin' pipes.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2017 12:15 PM by The ferret.)
09-21-2017 12:07 PM
itstuantran Offline
1st Service Completed

Vietnam
I did some on my stock exhaust too. Gotta admit that stock exhaust is pretty quiet though. I was thinking about aftermarket exhaust options but then changed my mind and made some try on opening up holes, make the 3 available holes bigger instead of adding more holes. I have enlarged them up to 6mm instead of 4mm as stock, and it sounds abit better Smile. 9500km now and i'm happy with that Smile

(09-06-2017 11:27 AM)Macduff Wrote:  Last update (until something changes). I had fun being an oike for a week or so with the rorty CB but after riding in at a steady speed when I just wanted to chill and enjoy the scenery it was too much droan for my eardrums. So the baffles are back in. I suspect if a chap could be bothered the stock baffles could be tweaked for a little more sound either by shortening them or adding more holes, but I've better things to do with my time such as sitting on my backside posting crap on t'interweb.
09-21-2017 09:36 PM
Macduff Offline
1st Service Completed

NE UK
Regarding stock exhaust on the '17 RS There doesn't appear to be an ( easy?) option for drilling holes to make more noise (not that I intend to do that), and to ensure I can get my oike fix for bike music I've just purchased a re-creation Yoshimura Cyclone stainless steel exhaust for my '86 Suzuki GSX-R750. This most likely means I'll leave the baffles in unmodified on the RS.

09-22-2017 05:39 AM
Full Throttle Offline
Break-In Period

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
(09-06-2017 11:27 AM)Macduff Wrote:  Last update (until something changes). I had fun being an oike for a week or so with the rorty CB but after riding in at a steady speed when I just wanted to chill and enjoy the scenery it was too much droan for my eardrums. So the baffles are back in. I suspect if a chap could be bothered the stock baffles could be tweaked for a little more sound either by shortening them or adding more holes, but I've better things to do with my time such as sitting on my backside posting crap on t'interweb.

Just curious if ear plugs would be enough to quite down the done to acceptable levels. I currently use plugs all the time, and was considering the arrow slip on.
09-22-2017 10:44 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
ROFL love it... Put on pipes to make it louder, then plug your ears so you can't hear it

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
09-22-2017 11:40 AM
Full Throttle Offline
Break-In Period

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
(09-22-2017 11:40 AM)The ferret Wrote:  ROFL love it... Put on pipes to make it louder, then plug your ears so you can't hear it

Because loosing ones hearing is so much better good point. I can hear the stock exhaust while using ear plugs. some may want louder pipes for different reasons, other than just being an annoying rider to the public.
09-28-2017 07:17 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM