Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do you (or don't you) prefer inline 4s to Twins?
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
RE: Why do you (or don't you) prefer inline 4s to Twins?
(08-18-2017 05:21 PM)LongRanger Wrote:  That's how I feel about a lot of brands (HD, Indian, Kawasaki, Enfield, Ural, KTM, Aprilia, Yamaha). Unfounded personal bias and unfavorable on-line reviews, justified or not, keep me away from those things. Same thing with blondes and redheads.

That doesn't leave you a whole lot of choices.

And how could you ever possibly be biased against redheads? Blasphemy!!
08-19-2017 05:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
Sorry, I was beng facetious and trying to make a back-handed point. My comment was tongue in cheek. Too often people hold biases based only on what they've been told or what they've read on the Internet, without having first hand knowledge themselves. As a result, they defend their preferences vigorously, perpetuate myths, and deny themselves the opportunity of trying something new.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
08-19-2017 07:38 AM
Wisedrum Offline
High Mileage

Germany
Riding both types of engines, I simply like both.
Would I prefer one over the other? No or wait a minute, perhaps the paralleltwin over the in line four. But it depends on the motorbike you're riding. The W800 offers a very easy to ride bike with an engine I like. So does the Honda. Both have a very linear torque curve somehow like a steam engine. The CB has, while being reved, a bigger peak than the Kawa and of course more power. But down under there isn't much of a big difference, mostly I ride this way. Besides, during 3.000 and 4.000 revs the W produces some typical parallel twin vibrations, which you feel and on some days be tempted to think that they can disturb your peace. But they don't, whereas the CB has some which are neglectable.

Wisedrum
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2017 02:43 PM by Wisedrum.)
08-19-2017 02:40 PM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
Nice. Sadly, Kawasaki never made the W800 available in the U.S. I would have loved to try one.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
08-19-2017 04:24 PM
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
no such thing as "good vibrations"
It's quite simple: fewer cylinders means more vibrations and more noise.

I am amused by comments that depict big V-twin vibration as something desirable. For an engineer, a "vibration" is a universally bad thing, no ifs or buts. The more something vibrates, the more uneasy I get in its presence, and more I doubt about the competency of those that designed it. The phrase "good vibrations" is to me the ultimate in contradiction in term.

And what to say about the noise? Those that have the need to make their presence felt by the noise they make...
08-20-2017 01:08 AM
alprider Offline
High Mileage

CH
the slogan : "good vibrations"...means and is only for the drivers feeling and not for mechanics.......we remember specal by the old HDs, controll after every short trip all your srews....smile

and noise is a total other story, and has nothing to do with the kind of engine...other type engines have only a other sound character....
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2017 01:40 AM by alprider.)
08-20-2017 01:33 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
My brother rides a parallel twin Triumph T-120, one of the new 270 degree firing ones, but used to ride one of the old 790 360 degree firing ones. I lent him my CB yesterday for a just under 200 mile ride, and his comment to me was " no wonder you like this bike, it's so smooth"

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
08-20-2017 04:04 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
For me all engine configurations have their good points. I love the feel of a boxer twin but not so much the sound. In-line triples and fours are my favorites, triples having the best combination of sound and feel I think. Although I've never had the experience of riding a CBX I think I would enjoy that in-line six even more. There is nothing that comes close to the sound of a CBX.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
08-20-2017 04:50 AM
alprider Offline
High Mileage

CH
(08-20-2017 04:04 AM)The ferret Wrote:  no wonder you like this bike, it's so smooth"

sometimes i think this made honda extra on that way:

other bikes have at time any sharp sport-drive modus, a normal and rain-modus......and as supplement a traction control.......maybe made honda at this CB all togehter : rain-modus and traction control fine hidden already in the electronic as permanent gear ....Big Grin

-------
well i drove never the mother of our CB
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2017 06:44 AM by alprider.)
08-20-2017 06:06 AM
caddy425 Offline
1st Service Completed

Ontario, Canada
Had two parallel twins - V-4 and now the inline 4 - Each have their own wonderful feeling - loved the V4 - but didn't like how tall it seemed to make the bike - the inline 4 is wider - but seems to make the center of gravity lower - again may all be perception -but since it is my bike and my perception it is valid. I did love the feeling of the v4 at 13,000 - but it didn't feel anywhere near as good as the cb feels all the time - different stroke for different folks
The twins were fun- they were both under 650 so not terrible vibration with either - but will take a 4 every time if possible.
end of the story the CB is the only one i still have.
08-20-2017 07:40 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
But is he really $2,000 ahead? A 3 mod . . .m in sc — 03:32 AM
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM