Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SE Ohio ride
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
SE Ohio ride
This past Thur to Sun I was supposed to take my family doctor/friend/motorcycle riding/hunting buddy riding over in SE Ohio. He has been my family doctor for 36 years, ever since the day he walked in my motorcycle shop with a rare part he needed a replacement for. Seemed I was the only one he had found that knew what it was and where to get one. When I did, he asked "Do you need a doctor?" I did. So he became my doctor and we became friends. I sold him my 69 BSA Rocket 3 one winter when I needed a tank fuel oil to heat the house for my wife and two young children and being poor, had no money. He has had a zillion cool bikes over the years and currently owns a KTM 990, a Ducati Multistrada, and a BMW S1000

Anyhow, I know some great places to stay ride and eat over there, and he wanted to get in some away riding time. I planned the whole thing, got the rooms etc. At 6;30 PM the night before we were to leave, he developed heart issues and was taken to the hospital. The trip seemed in question. My buddy Jim who I had ridden to California with, and who had given up bikes completely a couple years ago, and had written this thread about,

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....t=quitting

had just bought a used BMW R1200GS 3 days earlier and had emailed me about it. (I knew he couldn't give it up). So I called him to see if he would join me. He waffled a bit because he hadn't ridden in a while and his wife was nervous about him taking a trip on an unfamiliar bike after just 3 days of ownership, but decided "what the hey"? and met me in Marietta, Ohio at noon on Thursday.

We had a great 3 days of riding (and eating) on some of the finest roads se Ohio/nw West Virginia has to offer.

On Thur afternoon we did the southern half of Ohio's famous Tripple Nickel (555) and rt 676 to rt 7 and back to the hotel. 288 miles for me today

Friday we ventured into W Va and did 47/33-119/16, and 2, crossed back into Ohio at the bridge in New Martinsville (the Ferry at Sistersville W VA which we normally would have taken back across the Ohio River was shut down for engine repair) and stopped and ate at the Riverside Cafe in Fly, then back down 7 to Marietta OMG what a loop. 277 miles today.

Saturday we stayed back in Ohio taking Rts 26/800/7/255/800/26/145 to the Historic Beallsville Diner, then back 145 to 78 to 800 in Woodsfield, Ohio where Jim had to peel off and head home. I stayed on 800 back to 26 and took 26 back to the hotel. A jacuzzi back at the hotel had my name on it and it was divine after a 171 mile day of curves.

This morning I packed up early and got on the road taking 7/50 and 32 back thru picturesque southern Ohio, and made it home in time to watch the British MotoGP. 197 miles for me today.

Weather was about perfect...a little nippy in the mornings (low 50's) to very comfortable upper 70's in the afternoon. Sunny skies all 4 days. 932 miles over the 4 days for me.

some pics

Ä°mage

Ä°mage

Ä°mage

Ä°mage

Ä°mage

Ä°mage

Ä°mage

This concrete truck driver had a bad day

Ä°mage

Going Home

Ä°mage

I will add a pic of the map routes in a bit

Seriously anyone looking to have a great time riding hilly curves for a few days, could find a lot of worse places to ride than Ohio/W Va. If you need some advice, give me a shout.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2017 04:51 PM by The ferret.)
08-27-2017 11:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dsan1964 Offline
Running Like a Top

california
SE Ohio ride
Ferret, You are living the dream. Thanks for sharing. Nice pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
08-27-2017 11:39 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: SE Ohio ride
Here's the map

Thursday we did the green loop, Friday the blue loop, and Saturday a modified version of the orange loop

Ä°mage

This btw is a modified/shortened version of the Fall's Men's Trip we did last September.

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn Mariott in Marietta, clean, very reasonable, inside pool, jacuzzi and free breakfast and very centrally located for our rides.

This year the MSTA (Motorcycle Sport Touring Assoc) was having a rally on these same roads and were staying in a hotel about 1/2 mile away. Must have had 200 bikes parking in the hotel lot every morning and evening. Quite the sight.

Defender of the Realm
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2017 12:17 PM by The ferret.)
08-27-2017 12:09 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
At least another 1,000 mils on the ST? Hope your doctor friend is OK.

Does Jim like the new bike after 3 days on it?
08-27-2017 01:08 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Yep another milestone pic posted lol. That's 3 this month for the ST. 8/8 94,000 8/21 95,000 8/27 96,000

I texted with Doc Saturday to see how he was doing. He was home resting and on more meds. He said doctors make the worst patients lol

Jim really bonded with it on Friday riding in W Va. Thursday he was a little unsure, but by Saturday he said he loves it. But... Jim is Jim, tomorrow it may be gone lol

Defender of the Realm
08-27-2017 01:43 PM
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
It's pretty hard to beat a couple of days like that on the road Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
08-27-2017 02:14 PM
Hondahawkrider Offline
Running Like a Top

Maryland
Nice roads

Didn't make the msta (formerly hats) mail pouch fly-by, which was this weekend.. Surprised you didn't run across em

[u]'13 cb1100[/u] came with black grab rails, headlight & side covers, hagofuku front/rear fenders, and cats eye blinkers.[u]Added by me[/u]: Staintune Slip-on, Moriwaki sliders, Sport Trunk Seat, Lucas black taillight
08-27-2017 03:40 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
SE Ohio ride
That looks like a fantastic way to spend a weekend. Great trip!

BTW, I like how you don't limit yourself by staying on the map.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
08-27-2017 03:41 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(08-27-2017 03:40 PM)Hondahawkrider Wrote:  Nice roads

Didn't make the msta (formerly hats) mail pouch fly-by, which was this weekend.. Surprised you didn't run across em

I mentioned them in my post above. THey were there by the hundreds. We left our hotel generally before they got up because their bikes were parked in front of their hotel and nobody was around them. We did see some of them in little groups on the road 6-10 at a time, but they always going the opposite direction we were. We were glad about that lol

Imagine if you will, when looking at the pics above, how pretty it is during the color change in October. Stunning

Defender of the Realm
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2017 04:43 PM by The ferret.)
08-27-2017 04:31 PM
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
Great riding not too far from home, ferret! Thanks for the report. Thumbs Up

2012 Honda CBR250RA Candy Ruby Red/Silver
08-27-2017 05:17 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
I put Spring air in my bike tires… : . . .Nachodaddy — 04:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Nice bike Gold! My first bike was a . . .GoldOxide — 04:34 PM
Nice bike Gold! My first bike was almos . . .Lord Popgun — 03:56 PM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
I put Spring air in my bike tires… :DLord Popgun — 03:55 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
There could always be worse headlines . . .Gone in 60 — 03:10 PM
Todays weather
Today was overcast and it reached about . . .GoldOxide — 02:53 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That is very pretty! I'm a bit chal . . .GoldOxide — 02:46 PM
First time out this season now that Iâ . . .GoldOxide — 02:43 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,531
» Latest member: Tom the mod
» Forum threads: 15,992
» Forum posts: 330,381

Full Statistics

>