Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Suspension mods started
ohiorider Offline
Running Like a Top

NE Ohio
Suspension mods started
Installed IKON shocks (7610-1507-SP17) with lighter (Code 215) springs. To date, I've ridden approx. 150 miles with the new shocks. Rear end feels much more compliant. Preload and rebound damping on lightest settings at this time, but think I'll need to dial in a bit more damping. Still to do ..... the Traxxion Dynamics fork kit. A bit more work than simply changing the rear shocks, but I'll get it done.

1991 BMW R100GS
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2016 Triumph T120
08-28-2017 09:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
4 Paws Offline
High Mileage

MM 199 on BRP (Fancy Gap VA)
RE: Suspension mods started
Please post updates, quite interested in your observations. Why those shocks and that weight?

Best thing I learned from my dog: “Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride". Dan D.
08-29-2017 06:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PowerDubs Offline
Road Warrior

NWNJ
Suspension mods started
I'd be interested in the choice of fork upgrade. Do you ride aggressively and want a firmer front end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

104whp / 75wtq ... for now.
08-29-2017 07:21 PM
ohiorider Offline
Running Like a Top

NE Ohio
(08-29-2017 06:02 PM)4 Paws Wrote:  Please post updates, quite interested in your observations. Why those shocks and that weight?
My choice to select the lighter springs was to first give them a try. I don't often ride double, and I weigh 160 pounds. The stock rear shocks felt like my weight didn't even begin to compress the springs. Ikon indicated they would replace the light springs with a heavier set for a very modest price, if I found the light springs too light, so that's the reason for initially going with the lighter springs.

Re why these shocks, the price wasn't too bad, they had four rebound damping rates, they are rebuildable, and they could be ordered to cosmetically look much like the OEM shocks. Plus, dealing with Ikon USA on the phone was a good experience.

Bob

Here's a quick update. Today was the first ride when I thought I'd reset the rebound damping rate from light to heavier, after experiencing a higher kickback than expected. So I set them at 1.5 instead of 2, 3, or 4. Since I noticed the rebound was somewhat harsh, I contacted Ikon USA and asked if the shocks had several positions between 1 and 4. Answer was 'no,' the rod I turned when changing from lighter to heavier rebound damping contains 4 orifices of varying size. Setting the rebound at, for example, 1.5, does not align an orifice where it needs to be. It needs to be rotated to 1, 2, 3, or 4. Makes sense.

(08-29-2017 07:21 PM)PowerDubs Wrote:  I'd be interested in the choice of fork upgrade. Do you ride aggressively and want a firmer front end?

No, I am not an aggressive rider. I've ridden for years on older Beemers with extremely soft suspension. What I'm shooting for is suspension that lets me ride my CB solo over less than perfect road surfaces, but with a feel more like a cartridge fork vs damper tube. I asked Traxxion Dynamics to supply a fork kit that would (a) accommodate my weight, (b) type of riding, and © my suspension goal, ie compliant over less-than-perfect road surfaces. The Traxxion Dynamics kit comes with RaceTech Gold valves that should be an improvement over the stock damper rods. Not looking for firmer, but for more compliant suspension over a variety of road surfaces. Guess I've ridden and adapted to Beemer soft suspension over the years. I think the Germans called the older airhead a 'gummikuh' or rubber cow.

1991 BMW R100GS
2016 Triumph T120
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2017 08:05 PM by ohiorider.)
08-29-2017 07:43 PM
PowerDubs Offline
Road Warrior

NWNJ
Suspension mods started
[/quote]What I'm shooting for is suspension that lets me ride my CB solo over less than perfect road surfaces, but with a feel more like a cartridge fork vs damper tube. Not looking for firmer, but for more compliant
[/quote]

I hope they are able to provide that- but based on what I have read, that kit tends to be more firm and sporty- which is a big part of my reason to buy the '17 Showa SDBV forks instead.

104whp / 75wtq ... for now.
08-29-2017 08:33 PM
ohiorider Offline
Running Like a Top

NE Ohio
What I'm shooting for is suspension that lets me ride my CB solo over less than perfect road surfaces, but with a feel more like a cartridge fork vs damper tube. Not looking for firmer, but for more compliant.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/quote] I hope they are able to provide that- but based on what I have read, that kit tends to be more firm and sporty- which is a big part of my reason to buy the '17 Showa SDBV forks instead.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lets hope they gave me the straight scoop. I think they did. I can definitely say that the Ikons have improved the rear suspension of the bike (for my purposes.) When I talked with Traxxion Dynamics, they wanted to know my goal (more compliant suspension over a variety of road surfaces.) Wanted my weight. Wanted to know if I used the bike solo or with passenger (answer = solo.) No part of my discussion with them indicated I wanted more sporty suspension. I think they understood what I wanted. I'll know once the kit is installed. As you know, Traxxion Dynamics can supply a variety of fork springs, and the RaceTech valves can be tuned for a variety of uses.

[/quote]

1991 BMW R100GS
2016 Triumph T120
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2017 09:19 PM by ohiorider.)
08-29-2017 09:18 PM
alprider Offline
High Mileage

CH
i dont know...a enduro like the GS from BMW has extra long suspension-way....bcos this its too comfortable on bad streets.....and /but specaly soft on normal streets.....

Adjustable pull and pressure stage/ rebound damping rate from the suspension is a other story...every kind street needs a own adjustment if you want it still optimal , ask a racing driver....
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017 12:40 AM by alprider.)
08-29-2017 11:57 PM
alprider Offline
High Mileage

CH
and simple progressive suspensions are not that much flexible with adjustment
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017 01:04 AM by alprider.)
08-30-2017 01:03 AM
ohiorider Offline
Running Like a Top

NE Ohio
(08-30-2017 01:03 AM)alprider Wrote:  and simple progressive suspensions are not that much flexible with adjustment
Actually, the springs with the Traxxion Dynamics kit aren't progressive, but as I understand it, a straight rate spring, ie, not wrapped to act as a progressive spring. If you question my assessment of the Traxxion kit, maybe someone from their company can chime in and describe the kit, vs me paraphrasing what I think I heard. I'll ask the next time I talk with them.

1991 BMW R100GS
2016 Triumph T120
09-01-2017 08:39 PM
jedd Offline
Running Like a Top

Austin, TX
(08-29-2017 11:57 PM)alprider Wrote:  i dont know...a enduro like the GS from BMW has extra long suspension-way....bcos this its too comfortable on bad streets.....and /but specaly soft on normal streets.....

Adjustable pull and pressure stage/ rebound damping rate from the suspension is a other story...every kind street needs a own adjustment if you want it still optimal , ask a racing driver....

can you give us an example of :
Adjustable pull and pressure stage/ rebound damping rate from the suspension...

it's hard to understand what you posted above...
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2017 11:22 AM by jedd.)
09-04-2017 11:07 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
But is he really $2,000 ahead? A 3 mod . . .m in sc — 03:32 AM
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM