Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My helmet specs
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: My helmet specs
The sharp site also tests modulars and the HJC IS Max 2 which is the IS (internal sun screen) version of what I wear (had the IS helmet but the screen rattled so I returned it and got the non IS version) got a 4 start safety rating and a 100% rating on the latch staying closed for the chinbar. Plus it fits me well. I don't notice it being any nosier than the full face, or 3/4 helmets I own for that matter ( they are ALL noisy IMO) , or being excessively heavy, although I'm sure it's middle of the road in that regard and at $129 it is " reasonable" to me. ( I bought it on sale at Motorcyclegear.com ... I bought 2 of them in fact, one for my wife also) AND they are white!

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017 09:14 AM by The ferret.)
08-30-2017 09:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
(08-30-2017 08:40 AM)Cormanus Wrote:  
(08-30-2017 07:42 AM)The ferret Wrote:  https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

The SHARP site and this one too, https://www.crash.org.au/ratings.php lend weight to the view that safety and cost are not correlated. As I recall, the SHARP site shows a number of inexpensive helmets with very high safety ratings.
Worse, all so called "safety" testing/ratings I have seen measure is the resistance of the helmet to the damage to the helmet itself.

I am not interested in a helmet that I can re-use after an accident, I am interested in a helmet that will absorb the energy of the impact instead of transferring it to the base of my skull, the anatomical locale where the injuries are many time more deadly than skull dome fractures. The rest of this topic should be addressed by a competent, impartial head-trauma surgeon, and since I am not one I will stop here.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017 09:34 AM by rotor.)
08-30-2017 09:28 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
(08-30-2017 09:28 AM)rotor Wrote:  
(08-30-2017 08:40 AM)Cormanus Wrote:  
(08-30-2017 07:42 AM)The ferret Wrote:  https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

The SHARP site and this one too, https://www.crash.org.au/ratings.php lend weight to the view that safety and cost are not correlated. As I recall, the SHARP site shows a number of inexpensive helmets with very high safety ratings.
Worse, all so called "safety" testing/ratings I have seen measure is the resistance of the helmet to the damage to the helmet itself.

I am not interested in a helmet that I can re-use after an accident, I am interested in a helmet that will absorb the energy of the impact instead of transferring it to the base of my skull, the anatomical locale where the injuries are many time more deadly than skull dome fractures. The rest of this topic should be addressed by a competent, impartial head-trauma surgeon, and since I am not one I will stop here.

No helmet should be reused after an accident. It shouldn't even be reused if it is dropped on a hard surface. The safety ratings (from DOT to ECE to Snell) ALL measure damage to the helmet as you say, but also measure impact energy absorption. Beyond that though, an unrated helmet tells you NOTHING at all about it's relative safety. Even if I grant you your notion that safety ratings don't tell you about energy absorption (although they do), at least the rated helmets tell you SOMETHING about their ability to protect your skull. All rated helmets absorb impact energy. You may think they should absorb more energy and that's fine, but it's flawed logic to think that an unrated helmet is as good as an unrated one -- it could be, but you're just guessing at that point.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
08-30-2017 10:05 AM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
Interesting dialogue. To the OP's point, my Schuberth C3-Pro carries ECE and DOT safety ratings but because I purchased it locally in Italy, not from a U.S. retailer, it does not have a DOT sticker and therefore is not compliant on U.S. roads. I could be cited for wearing it!

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017 11:27 AM by LongRanger.)
08-30-2017 11:20 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Interesting dilema, LR, at least where helmet laws exist. I have to think, though, that any officer smart enough to know about the DOT sticker, will likely know that ECE is at least as good....then again. LOL

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
08-30-2017 11:49 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
The poor old LEO will have no choice no matter how well informed she is. The law is likely to say that, if the helmet doesn't carry a sticker showing compliance with either DOT or SNELL, it's illegal. End of story. Australia, thank the lord, has recently moved from a tediously rigid requirement for compliance with only an Australian-New Zealand standard to one that allows for acceptance of the European standard.
08-30-2017 12:56 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
True enough, Cormanus. I don't think that many folks are getting pulled over in the states to check for compliance on the type of helmet. Maybe they are, though. Illinois does not require helmets at all, so the LEOs don't care what the sticker says.

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
08-30-2017 01:01 PM
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
(08-30-2017 01:01 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  ... I don't think that many folks are getting pulled over in the states to check for compliance on the type of helmet. Maybe they are, though...
We are not much of a statistical sample, but has anyone here ever had his or her helmet inspected for those stickers when stopped on the road? Or heard first-hand from someone who has?

In hot weather on short in-town hops, I sometimes wear a light skiing helmet. It resembles vaguely an open-face motorcycle helmet. Never a problem. I was only once in my life stopped for wearing no helmet at all (crossed from a no-law state to a mandatory helmet state without realizing it) but there was never, ever any interest shown by any government agent in the helmet stickers (or lack thereof) in any jurisdiction I had the pleasure of riding a motorcycle in.

Accordingly, the presence of any stickers on the device is not on the list of requirements in my opening post Sad If I want stickers on my helmet, I can always get some from the kiddie department of my local dollar store Smile
08-30-2017 06:09 PM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
I was pulled over several times while living in California (a mandatory helmet state) and not once was my equipment questioned or inspected. To MTC's point, no such requirement in Colorado. We don't even need to have turn signals.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017 06:46 PM by LongRanger.)
08-30-2017 06:44 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
My helmet specs
So, let's draw breath and summarize. This antipodean was a bit confused for a moment.

Rotor wants a helmet. His initial criteria were: full face, light, white, cheap. However we've since established that safety tests are generally unreliable and stickers can be bought in the dollar store.

We can rule out the ski hat and an ordinary bicycle helmet as they don't meet the full face test.

Given that safety is apparently not an issue and cost is, I'd be wondering about a spot of fabrication with a couple of plastic ice cream containers, a clear lid from a plastic yoghurt container and an old belt.

Good luck.
08-31-2017 04:08 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on bac . . .GoldOxide — 12:47 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Looking back at your offer, that is very . . .Gone in 60 — 11:59 AM
The same bike not even broken in with . . .m in sc — 11:53 AM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
Chilly but sunny day and another 87 mile . . .peterbaron — 11:51 AM
:clap:peterbaron — 11:50 AM
The same bike not even broken in with 1, . . .Ollie — 11:46 AM
CRISIS During the time that the Triumph . . .misterprofessionality — 11:25 AM
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,518