Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.67 Average
Kawasaki Z900RS
use2b Offline
High Mileage

Perdido Key Florida
RE: Kawasaki Z900RS
that unsightly radiator hose on the left side is hideous

The best part about growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old.
former owner of the baddest 2013 CB1100 ever ;] now a plush ride -2014 Goldwing Valkyrie GL1800C
12-08-2017 10:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Someone over on the Hawk GT forum recently posted up their 1989 Honda CB-1 for sale in the classifieds section. If it wasn't for an unfortunate tank ding (but then aren't they all), it would be truly pristine. I've alway considered the CB-1 to be a beautiful bike. A guy I worked with owned one back in the day and it was a joy to look at. The engine is gorgeous — it's jewel-like, and it's got a radiator with hoses hanging off of it (yes, it's a water-cooled engine). I'm okay with that because it's an honest bike. No, hoses are not exactly beautiful. But then neither are cooling fins in and of themselves (not to my eye anyway). However, in the case of an air-cooled bike they're honest and for me that adds to their appeal. Pretty much everything that's bolted on, or otherwise attached to the CB-1 serves a purpose and was seemingly made to look as aesthetically pleasing as possible. I suppose the notable exception would be the short rear cowl. While I find it aesthetically pleasing, it doesn't provide much purpose beyond covering up other things up (subframe, wiring, etc.). I bring up this bike because I feel that it has stood the test of time well from a design standpoint.

As with the CB-1, I don't have a problem with the radiator hoses on the Z900RS, it's a water-cooled engine after all. The "cooling fins" on the other hand are just plain cheesy to me. I know that others will feel differently, but it's always bugged me when designers do that kind of stuff. I feel the same way about the fake "carbs" on the Bonnevilles. Again, cheesy. When Triumph changed the Bonnies over to fuel-injection I wish they would have just created a nice looking fuel-injection system without trying to make it look like carbs. In my mind fake cooling fins and fake carbs are the modern day equivalent of the bogus air scoops that some guys would mount to the hoods of their cars back in high school (usually hastily attached with some corroded machine screws - this brought a whole new meaning to the phrase shaker hood). This kind of thing didn't impress me back then either, lol.

While I personally don't think that the Z900RS looks nearly as good as a CB1100, it's simply not intended to be the same style/class of bike. One of the coolest things about the CB1100 is that it's air-cooled and one of the last of it's kind. But I can still appreciate the Z900RS for what it is. While it's of a different style, in many ways this bike strikes me as more similar to the current Triumph Thruxton. I'm guessing, hoping even, that Kawasaki will sell plenty of these bikes. It would seem that they've done a nice job addressing those folks that want a bike with modern levels of performance and handling combined with standard type styling that doesn't look like a praying mantis, or like something from a Transformers movie. Sure, it might not be totally retro, but I still consider it to be fairly retro looking. I applaud Kawasaki for their "retro-influenced standard". If someone is not going to be riding by on a CB1100, then I'd get a bigger kick out of seeing them zipping by on one of these as opposed to most of the other bikes being produced today.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
12-09-2017 03:11 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Well said Guth and my sentiments also. We're planning the purchase of the Z900RS next year but it won't replace the CB1100. These are different bikes with a similar style and I think both are gorgeous in their own right.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
12-09-2017 04:55 AM
F800GT Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
(12-09-2017 03:11 AM)Guth Wrote:  As with the CB-1, I don't have a problem with the radiator hoses on the Z900RS, it's a water-cooled engine after all. The "cooling fins" on the other hand are just plain cheesy to me. I know that others will feel differently, but it's always bugged me when designers do that kind of stuff. I feel the same way about the fake "carbs" on the Bonnevilles. Again, cheesy. When Triumph changed the Bonnies over to fuel-injection I wish they would have just created a nice looking fuel-injection system without trying to make it look like carbs. In my mind fake cooling fins and fake carbs are the modern day equivalent of the bogus air scoops that some guys would mount to the hoods of their cars back in high school (usually hastily attached with some corroded machine screws - this brought a whole new meaning to the phrase shaker hood). This kind of thing didn't impress me back then either, lol.

So well said !

I don't quite understand all the fake (i.e. useless) things either.

Look at the stuffs that are put on houses in the two pictures below. One has fake and the other serves real purpose.

12-09-2017 10:13 AM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
(12-09-2017 04:55 AM)redbirds Wrote:  Well said Guth and my sentiments also. We're planning the purchase of the Z900RS next year but it won't replace the CB1100. These are different bikes with a similar style and I think both are gorgeous in their own right.

Same here. I love my CB1100 and plan to keep it for a very long time, but the CB750 is beginning to show its age and miles. It's requiring quite a bit more wrench time than it used to.

My big dilemma for many years was that there was absolutely nothing in the dealer showrooms that I wanted to buy. I was looking for an inline 4 standard motorcycle that didn't look like it was going to spontaneously turn into some sort of robot. Big Grin

I can see how the Z900RS would disappoint retro purists, but it checks all of my boxes. I'm not looking for a replica of a 70s bike. I'm quite happy with a modern, inline 4 standard bike that isn't all random angles and plastic. I'll be very happy to have one sitting in my garage next to the CB1100.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2017 05:22 PM by Flynrider.)
12-09-2017 05:20 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
F800GT, That's another great example of the kind of thing I was talking about.

redbirds, Flynrider, have you guys seen the Z900RS video featuring an interview with the Kawasaki dealer over in Australia (at least I think it was in Australia)?

12-09-2017 07:32 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(12-09-2017 04:55 AM)redbirds Wrote:  Well said Guth and my sentiments also. We're planning the purchase of the Z900RS next year ...

Oh you lucky things. I think I'd have one if two bikes were a possibility. I'll be interested to see what Tezza does.

I'm with you Guth: I think the 'retro-influenced standard' is a good style of bike. It's what the CB1100 is. I think it is also why I like both the CB400 and the CB1300. They have features that honour the past while being honest about when they were built.

Article on the Australian launch here: http://bikereview.com.au/2018-kawasaki-z...unveiling/

Can't seem to find the video, Guth.
12-10-2017 02:49 AM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Here you go Cormanus:

Midnight Rider Z900RS Video

12-10-2017 06:46 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Thanks Guth. Filmed here in Brisbane.
12-10-2017 10:26 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(12-10-2017 10:26 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  Thanks Guth. Filmed here in Brisbane.

I'll be darned.

12-11-2017 12:10 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition