Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.67 Average
Kawasaki Z900RS
the_undecider Offline
Running Like a Top

Texas
RE: Kawasaki Z900RS
(01-03-2018 08:15 PM)The ferret Wrote:  So a lot like the CB 1100. Was wondering if young guys were going to dig it cause it looked old but had modern underpinnings, or if it was just going to be attractive to 45-60 guys that might remember the Z-1 and want to relive that.

Yes to both, but the millennials generally won't be able to afford it. As a dealership finance manager, I am blown away by the number of 20 somethings who have atrocious credit. I started building credit at 18, financed a truck at 24, a motorcycle at 25, and a house at 26. I am blessed to make a decent living and can buy pretty much any bike I want (maybe not a Motus), but $11k resides outside my comfort zone for a secondary bike. I suspect it will for quite a few, particularly younger, less established buyers.

2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Honda CRF450L
2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
01-03-2018 08:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
(01-03-2018 08:28 PM)the_undecider Wrote:  ... but $11k resides outside my comfort zone for a secondary bike. I suspect it will for quite a few, particularly younger, less established buyers.

I suspect you're correct. Another reason that it won't generally appeal to the younger crowd is that Kaw offers virtually the same bike in modern (transformers style) trim for over $2K less. I doubt that there will be a bunch of young kids (who've never seen a Z-1) to be paying that kind of premium for the RS model.

The RS is firmly targeted at older riders who are willing to pony up the extra bucks to have a bike that resembles an old classic.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
01-04-2018 06:12 PM
hb9400 Offline
Running Like a Top

Marietta ga
Kawasaki Z900RS
Color scheme nicer, darker in person. Ä°mageÄ°mage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The ferret
01-27-2018 05:52 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Those 3 bits of silver.. below the tank, on the ends of the radiator, and on the front fender mount annoy the heck out of me. I would have to powdercoat those 3 pieces black.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2018 08:35 AM by The ferret.)
01-27-2018 08:34 AM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
I've seen the Z900RS a few times now in the flesh. Both colors. I've tried to let it grow on me. To an extent, I've been successful, in that I no longer think it's ugly, as I did when I first saw the pictures. I still don't see a single graceful line anywhere, other than the headlight area, and I do like the cast spoke wheels, but at least I no longer find the bike ugly. The overly bulbous tank doesn't really seem that bad in most pictures, but if you look at the bike in person from the front or back it's very noticeable, and sitting on the bike really drives the point home.

Here's the thing, though. Park it beside a CB1100 EX. Then you'll know. Immediately, everything becomes crystal clear.

When I arrived at the dealership to pick up my new CB1100 EX, they had the Z900RS in both colors parked right beside my bike. It looked like James Bond standing next to Adam Sandler and Meatloaf.
01-27-2018 08:48 AM
Bheezy27403 Offline
High Mileage

Triad NC
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Let me wipe my screen down now.
01-27-2018 09:51 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
(01-27-2018 08:48 AM)VLJ Wrote:  When I arrived at the dealership to pick up my new CB1100 EX, they had the Z900RS in both colors parked right beside my bike. It looked like James Bond standing next to Adam Sandler and Meatloaf.

Love it! ROFLROFLROFL

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
01-27-2018 10:28 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(01-27-2018 08:48 AM)VLJ Wrote:  I've seen the Z900RS a few times now in the flesh. Both colors. I've tried to let it grow on me. To an extent, I've been successful, in that I no longer think it's ugly, as I did when I first saw the pictures. I still don't see a single graceful line anywhere, other than the headlight area, and I do like the cast spoke wheels, but at least I no longer find the bike ugly. The overly bulbous tank doesn't really seem that bad in most pictures, but if you look at the bike in person from the front or back it's very noticeable, and sitting on the bike really drives the point home.

Here's the thing, though. Park it beside a CB1100 EX. Then you'll know. Immediately, everything becomes crystal clear.

When I arrived at the dealership to pick up my new CB1100 EX, they had the Z900RS in both colors parked right beside my bike. It looked like James Bond standing next to Adam Sandler and Meatloaf.
Lol, you aren't just drinking the sake, you're downing it by the pot!

I see it quite differently, to start from your comparison of people to people, bikes to bikes, and bikes to people.

James Bond was a fiction of Ian Fleming, the name originating from an author of a book about bird-watching. The character, James Bond, is the epitome of fantasy and superficiality. Slick, smooth, urbane, always gets the girl, always wins in the end; the complete opposite of real life.

The Kawasaki, with all its fake finery, slick design, speed, svelte mass, and agile handling (which certainly outstrip -- pun intended -- the CB1100 in every measurable regard) seems much more like 007 to me. The Z900RS is an Aston-Martin; the CB1100 is a Morris Minor. And appeal is always in the eyes of the beholder anyway.

So I believe it's just the opposite, with the CB1100 being the yeoman workhorse, all its attributes plain to see, though I would not say that the Kawasaki is an Emperor with no clothes. Hirohito, however, was an emperor with no horse after General MacArthur arrived. Is that relevant? Yes, because the Japanese people actually believed Hirohito was immortal and would live forever. So, in a way, since new member ivanb already broached the topic of Japanese culture, perhaps in a way the CB1100 is a reincarnation of Hirohito? And the the Z900RS one of Tojo?

Clearly, the difference between the two Japanese machines runs much deeper than the discussion of a tea ceremony, just as any realistic discussion of Japanese culture inevitably runs to a discussion of the differences between Ichi-go ichi-e and Hakko Ichiu. The latter phrase was used in a speech by Japanese Prime Minister Konoe in 1940, and I think we all have a pretty fair idea of what kinds of policies were afoot in Greater East Asia at the time. (Jack London predicted what was to come after covering the Japanese-Russo War in 1905; he was only correspondent to get to Korea, where the real fighting was, and nearly froze to death in the process. He was later arrested by Japanese authorities, and was only released after the intervention of President Theodore Roosevelt).

But then again this is anthropomorphism and "turn the other cheek" run wild, comparing machinery to people.

Still waiting for your ride report!Big Grin

Ä°mage
Morris Minor - A Classic Beauty

Aston Martin - Over the Top
Ä°mage
01-27-2018 11:48 AM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
You're talking function, though. I'm only talking looks. Sitting beside the '17 EX, those two Kawis look like Dumb and Dumber.

And, yeah, 'sake,' not 'saki.' My bad.
01-27-2018 12:46 PM
Acrobat Offline
1st Service Completed

Chios, Greece
Ulvetanna first of all , Morris Minor and James Bond Aston comparison is totally irrelevant in my opinion. Second I think Japanese tea ceremony runs deeper than most of us can understand. I must say that I'm very proud to see so much Greek language here. The right explanation of anthropomorphism is giving human form and characteristics to our creations. Anthropos(man. the one how sees and contemplate what he sees ) and morphi ( shape-face). The face-shape-stance-poise says it all. I believe that you will soon (and I'll be happy to see you) drink the sake yourself like VLJ ....
PS.Please don't tell me this is all Greek to you...
01-27-2018 03:20 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
There could always be worse headlines . . .Gone in 60 — 03:10 PM
Todays weather
Today was overcast and it reached about . . .GoldOxide — 02:53 PM
That is very pretty! I'm a bit chal . . .GoldOxide — 02:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
First time out this season now that Iâ . . .GoldOxide — 02:43 PM
Let's see your CB1100 out on the road!
Yikes A-man! Glad to read you sailed th . . .GoldOxide — 02:39 PM
That is very pretty! I'm a bit challeng . . .Gone in 60 — 02:15 PM
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.
excuse my while i smash my gopro and n . . .Gone in 60 — 02:09 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Lovely looking bike, mtneers.Cormanus — 01:31 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,531
» Latest member: Tom the mod
» Forum threads: 15,992
» Forum posts: 330,377

Full Statistics

>