Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Greetings
Oz-Man Offline
New To The Forum

Charlottesville, VA
Greetings
Hello everyone,

Not an owner yet, trying to decide between Triumph, Moto Guzzi, or the CB1100. Hope nobody minds if I hang out here a bit to try and learn more about this bike.

Can't ride right now anyway; just underwent surgery to repair a severed patellar tendon, long recovery ahead. Probably next spring before I can hop on a bike again. So, plenty of time to sit back and take my time to do some research.

A little about me: 5'8", 30" inseam, north of 200 pounds. I currently have Versys1000 that I just havent bonded with, yet it doesnt appear to have any weak spots. Doesnt call for me to come ride.

Coming off 12 Harleys, 2 Goldwings, 4 BMWs, 2 KLRs......and a used CB650 Custom I got second hand back in the late 80s.

Oz
09-16-2017 09:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Greetings
Hello Howdy Oz-man and welcome to the forum. Hope you heal well from your surgery. A lot of us have had to make the same decision you are struggling with.

Tell us why you haven't bonded with the Kawi. From what I've read, it's a very nice long distance ride, smooth motor with plenty of power, decent wnd protection and luggage comes standard. Is it just " too much" ? Do you not do long distance riding?

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
09-16-2017 09:53 AM
Oz-Man Offline
New To The Forum

Charlottesville, VA
(09-16-2017 09:53 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Tell us why you haven't bonded with the Kawi. From what I've read, it's a very nice long distance ride, smooth motor with plenty of power, decent wnd protection and luggage comes standard. Is it just " too much" ? Do you not do long distance riding?

Hmmm......let's see. Plenty of power for me at least. Break in is keep it at 4k, and to be honest, I could probably do with not much more than that. 4k in 6th is 65 mph......hit 5k, and the bike really comes alive.'

Handling, brakes, luggage.....all great. Wind protection adequate after I added a puig screen. Two things I would call a negative: comfort and aesthetics. The former is fixable; I've added bar risers, and added highway pegs the day I got injured, but never rode with them. Guess a Corbin seat would take care of the rest, and to be honest - rare has been the occasion when I didnt have to change out a stock seat.

Aesthetics are personal, and differ. It's a great package, but not the best looking bike in the world. I bought it because it had an extended seat to peg relationship, which my failing hips need. Some would argue that coming from Harleys with feet forward I am having trouble with a standard seating position; but I didnt have any issue with it on my Goldwings or the Valkyrie I had.

Wife really likes the Versys, so I will probably keep it for two up longer rides. I'm just looking for a bike to take out on back roads and cruise around at my leisure, no hurry to get anywhere. The old standards have really started to appeal to me.

Ah....decisions, decisions.
09-16-2017 10:07 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I had a 790 Bonnie and my brother has a T-120 Bonnie, I have ridden the Moto Guzzi. For me the Guzzi was out of the picture very early on because of a lack of power. Some say it's all you need. They were wrong I needed more. I also needed more power than my 790 Bonnie had. The T-120 Bonnie has a very torquey engine and is a full 1200 cc. It makes enough power for me but I prefer I4's to P2's. The CB1100 has a smooth torquey I4 that is so easy to ride. Really a great back roads bike where you can just cruise in 4th, 5th or 6th gear. BTW 4K in top gear on the 6 speed CB is 85 mph.Most of us cruise around between 2500 and 3500 rpms. I'm told it also comes alive over 5K, but have never pursued that lol.

sounds like yu are "seat sensitive" so you will probably want a custom seat on the CB as well. The Chip Beck edition Corbin is real popular around here.

As far as aesthetics. well, CB's are gorgeous.

The front brakes are outstanding, the rear brake is adequate. The transmission is a delight as long as the chain is in spec.

Plus it's a Honda...great reliability, and fit and finish.

and the bike has a very good forum with lots of friendly helpful people lol

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2017 10:24 AM by The ferret.)
09-16-2017 10:20 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
G'day and welcome to the forum, Oz-Man. Best wishes for the surgery.
09-16-2017 10:21 AM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
Your decision may depend on how you intend to use the bike, and whether it'll be your only bike. I had two V7 Classics. Easily two of my favorite all-time bikes but not as an only bike, especially if you find yourself putting on a lot of freeway miles or have little faith in your local dealer. I respectfully disagree with Ferret - they have sufficient power for real world riding. Anything more is just for bragging rights.

The CB is heavier, more powerful, more supple, and more substantial than the Guzzi, but suffers from a lack of charm and character in comparison, although this doesn't diminish from its jewel-like quality. It also doesn't handle as nimbly as the Guzzi. Still, the CB is a beautiful bike and highly recommended. Again, it depends on what you're looking for.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
09-16-2017 01:00 PM
CBryder Offline
Break-In Period

Minnesota, USA
Greetings
Really? LR?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
09-16-2017 01:13 PM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
Really what? Just sharing my opinion.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
09-16-2017 01:23 PM
Oz-Man Offline
New To The Forum

Charlottesville, VA
(09-16-2017 01:00 PM)LongRanger Wrote:  Your decision may depend on how you intend to use the bike, and whether it'll be your only bike. I had two V7 Classics. Easily two of my favorite all-time bikes but not as an only bike, especially if you find yourself putting on a lot of freeway miles or have little faith in your local dealer. I respectfully disagree with Ferret - they have sufficient power for real world riding. Anything more is just for bragging rights.

The CB is heavier, more powerful, more supple, and more substantial than the Guzzi, but suffers from a lack of charm and character in comparison, although this doesn't diminish from its jewel-like quality. It also doesn't handle as nimbly as the Guzzi. Still, the CB is a beautiful bike and highly recommended. Again, it depends on what you're looking for.

Won't be my only bike, but will probably get ridden more often, maybe not as many miles. Something to tool around the back roads. I have a 90 mile commute one way to work, 95% interstate, so if I keep the Versys 1k I'll use that.

That Guzzi V7 Special, and to a slightly lesser extent the V9 Roamer, aesthetically appeal to me. My first car at 16 was a 1968 Triumph TR250, so Triumph has the appeal, personal connection, and great sound. The Honda? My first motorcycle as an adult was a CB650 Custom (bought used), and there is a Honda dealer in every town, plus the Honda reliability. If I go for Honda will probably spring for the 2017 as I prefer the look as opposed to the 2014 Black - but awesome deals can be had on those for sure.
09-16-2017 01:37 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
no kidding....that's just a picture too. . . .misterprofessionality — 07:34 AM
It's fun to read all these comments... . . .peterbaron — 07:18 AM