Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Had to drop the bike today
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
RE: Had to drop the bike today
Many people drop their bike in their own drive way !
09-27-2017 04:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
They do. But I wonder how many of us would have not only the skill but the presence of mind to put it down rather than ride into something?
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2017 06:17 AM by Cormanus.)
09-27-2017 06:17 AM
kvdv Offline
1st Service Completed

U.S.
First, I'm glad the OP is ok!! That is scary stuff.

So...just adding to the discussion, not trying to start a tussle, I promise! My motorcycle safety instructor insisted the "lay it down" thing is actually not a valid way to avoid a collision. He explained it this way...if momentum is still carrying you and your bike forward, but your tires are no longer able to apply braking force and traction against the street because you've laid it down, then hard (and smooth) parts of your bike are essentially taking the place of your tires. These hard parts are much more likely to slide farther than the bike would have traveled had it remained in an upright position with appropriate braking technique. Not only that, but now the rider has voluntarily placed their own body on the pavement while in motion, and he simply couldn't endorse that under any circumstances. His theory was the rider should always stay with the bike and use the controls, don't take the chance that a bike (and rider) sliding across the pavement is ever a valid way out. In the circumstance described here, he might have said, "so the front tire came to rest just under the car's side panel, ok, but that tells me had you stayed in the saddle and kept the bike under control, then there actually was time and space to avoid the car after all."

Personally, I'm very lucky to never have been in this situation (knock on wood), so I can't say I'm an expert. What the instructor said seemed to make sense to me, though. One of many things I remember from class.
09-27-2017 12:22 PM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Kvdv, I’m not taking sides here either. The bike mags say what your instructor said.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
09-27-2017 03:44 PM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
[quote='kvdv' pid='184164' dateline='1506540177']
First, I'm glad the OP is ok!! That is scary stuff.

So...just adding to the discussion, not trying to start a tussle, I promise! My motorcycle safety instructor insisted the "lay it down" thing is actually not a valid way to avoid a collision. He explained it this way...if momentum is still carrying you and your bike forward, but your tires are no longer able to apply braking force and traction against the street because you've laid it down, then hard (and smooth) parts of your bike are essentially taking the place of your tires. These hard parts are much more likely to slide farther than the bike would have traveled had it remained in an upright position with appropriate braking technique. Not only that, but now the rider has voluntarily placed their own body on the pavement while in motion, and he simply couldn't endorse that under any circumstances. His theory was the rider should always stay with the bike and use the controls, don't take the chance that a bike (and rider) sliding across the pavement is ever a valid way out. In the circumstance described here, he might have said, "so the front tire came to rest just under the car's side panel, ok, but that tells me had you stayed in the saddle and kept the bike under control, then there actually was time and space to avoid the car after all."

Personally, I'm very lucky to never have been in this situation (knock on wood), so I can't say I'm an expert. What the instructor said seemed to make sense to me, though. One of many things I remember from class.

Laying bike down : I crashed !
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2017 04:49 PM by Houtman.)
09-27-2017 04:47 PM
Elevenminusoneblade Offline
Break-In Period

Wisconsin
I agree with Kdvd. If you're putting you bike down, you're relinquishing control, you're lengthening your stop, and you're in a collision by default. In 20-odd years of riding, I've never been in any situation where me sliding on the ground was the optimal choice, and, obviously, there are innumerable situations that I haven't experienced, so take my armchair quarterbacking with a grain of salt and please don't take it personally.

For the gray-haired riders round here, is the notion of having to put a bike down, in the case of a seemingly inevitable collision, something that lingers from the past, you know, before ABS, riding modes, traction control, big effective disc brakes, and slipper clutches? Or does it still apply? I'm guessing that there are more situations than there are viable rubber-side-down options.

I'm really glad you're ok Jeffmazz

[font=Times New Roman][size=x-small]2006 Ducati Sport Classic Paul Smart
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador[/size][/font]
09-27-2017 05:21 PM
jeffmazz Offline
Break-In Period

USA
(09-26-2017 10:36 PM)crutch Wrote:  Glad you and the bike are going to be ok.
I have a question about "dropping the bike".
Is it something that is practiced and learned, or was it just instinctive and automatic?
Did you consciously drop the bike, or did it just happen subconsciously?
Just curious.
Thanks.
Crutch

I intentionally put it down. If I didn't slide sideways I would have hit him with the front wheel.
09-28-2017 09:50 AM
jeffmazz Offline
Break-In Period

USA
(09-27-2017 12:22 PM)kvdv Wrote:  First, I'm glad the OP is ok!! That is scary stuff.

kvdv,
If I had stayed in the saddle and continued straight I would have hit the Taxi with my front wheel and most likely done a lot more damage to the bike and myself. When I dropped the bike I slid sideways then went down. This put more room between me and the vehicle. When I stopped, my front tire was just under the rocker panel and my rear tire was an inch or two away from the rocker panel. I'm not suggesting to anyone to drop their bike to avoid a collision but I would never tell anyone to never do it. Every situation is different and it may be the better option.
09-28-2017 01:11 PM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I very seldom ride my motorcycle in the city. But a couple of weeks ago after topping up the gas tank after a day long ride I had a close call. I looked left and then right exiting a shopping center parking lot. There were cars approaching from the right but they turned right into an opposing entrance leaving me the right of way. Just as I started forward I heard the sound of a loud horn and screeching brakes. I instinctively turned hard left towards the curb and applied the brakes. I ended up a couple of inches away from a shiny new BMW.

The young driver had turned left from behind the store while I was looking right. When he rolled down the passenger window I apologized and thank him for stopping quickly and sounding the horn.

After he had driven away I wondered if I had spent more time looking right than I realized, or did he race around the corner and hence the screeching brakes. As my dad used to say, "It takes two mistakes to make an accident." But I know I should have made a second look left before proceeding. Rode away happy there was no contact.

2017 CB1100 EX
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2017 08:47 AM by Nortoon.)
09-29-2017 08:46 AM
AzBob Offline
Running Like a Top

Chandler, AZ, USA
(09-28-2017 09:50 AM)jeffmazz Wrote:  I intentionally put it down. If I didn't slide sideways I would have hit him with the front wheel.

Lol. Glad you're OK though.

2008 CBR1000RR (for sale)
2013 CB1100
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2017 01:21 PM by AzBob.)
10-06-2017 01:21 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.
... quite true Mr. P., even long after t . . .GoldOxide — 07:10 PM
Broken indicator lens
I’ve lost several of the earlier large . . .PowerDubs — 05:16 PM
Tire Options for our CB1100