Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
two Hondas and a Hog
paulw Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
two Hondas and a Hog
Just finished our 15th annual ride. Two friends from Ottawa Ontario (where I used to live) joined me for a week through Pennsylvania, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia. We had my CB1100, and a 1976 Honda 750 Super Sport joined by our token Harley. As usual it was a great ride of over !800 miles with less than 50 miles on anything but secondary roads. The quality of these roads in the southern States was as always impressive.

This trip which was the first on my CB allowed me to really get a good idea of the strengths of this motorcycle.

Handling: The bike is very neutral especially in quick right to left transitions (or left to right) requiring little effort to bring it back and forth.

Transmission: I found the 5 speeds to be more than adequate with the bike turning less than 3400 rpm at 60mph. It shifts smoothly with little effort.

Comfort: With the Corbin seat and the riders triangle is near perfect for my 6 foot frame. I added a small bikini fairing (Samurider) and it blocked the airflow from my shoulders down with near zero helmet buffeting. There is virtually no vibration through the bars.

All in all I can see nothing that would entice me into trading it for a 2017. The only thing that would be nice is ABS but that in itself is not enough reason to drop another $7,000 or so on a 2017.

I love this bike!!!
09-26-2017 03:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wisedrum Offline
High Mileage

Germany
RE: two Hondas and a Hog
You are right, 5 speeds are more than enough and they give the 2013 CB a good, spontaneuos liveliness. More than the heavier 6 speed model, though haven't ridden one only read about it.

Wisedrum
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2017 11:30 PM by Wisedrum.)
09-26-2017 11:21 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Sounds a good ride, paulw. I’ve found the 5-speed box more than adequate.
09-27-2017 12:38 AM
noroomtomove Offline
Running Like a Top

Australia Victoria
Paulw,

I'll second that.

Spend cash on tyres and petrol.

Regards
09-27-2017 01:27 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Wow an 1800 mile trip with a Harley and a 41 year old Honda. You are i to adventures.

J/k sounds like a fantastic trip thru some great states to ride in. What were some of the highlights of the trip? Great roads?

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
09-27-2017 04:33 AM
paulw Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
(09-27-2017 04:33 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Wow an 1800 mile trip with a Harley and a 41 year old Honda. You are i to adventures.

J/k sounds like a fantastic trip thru some great states to ride in. What were some of the highlights of the trip? Great roads?

The trip always consists of........Get up in the morning and eat breakfast, ride, stop for coffee/gas, ride. stop for lunch, ride, stop for the day and drink beer and eat dinner, sleep. Repeat.

The 41 year old Honda belongs to a friend from high school who bought it new. The Harley got a new clutch before we left and in all honesty performed admirably and besides, with the top box, he was always tagged with getting beer.

As far as roads go the 421 South from Richmond Kentucky sticks out in my mind as well as the 16 North from Charleston WV and the 250 from the Ohio border east to Fairmont WV.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2017 05:00 AM by paulw.)
09-27-2017 04:56 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM
The Cormanus Chronicles: Remembering Jake an...
I’m sure contemporary rollers have som . . .Cormanus — 02:53 PM
Todays weather
Correct, Gone.Cormanus — 02:46 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,750

Full Statistics

>