Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Trip to Trinidad
Ben70 Offline
Running Like a Top

NCAL
Trip to Trinidad
I used the excuse having the eye doc in Eureka follow up check and cleaning the carpet in the 5th wheel to run over to Trinidad, where I spent most of the summer sans CB.
Left Chico 8-ish Monday and went south to pick up Highway 20 west, where once out of the valley the road gets nicely twisty through grassy oak strewn hills.

Soon I arrived at the east end of Clearlake and stopped to fill up and grab a snack before continuing along the north shore of the lake.
It's quite scenic and there was light traffic as we are getting out of tourist season. Started bucking a head wind which continued for the rest of the day.    
Continued west to 101, then north as the oak woodland gradually gave way to conifers, and redwoods became more profuse. The highway was mixed 4 lane and 2 lane, quite pleasant with light traffic. Stopped at something called the peg house for a hot dog and Gatorade. Ended up getting beat up by the headwind and was glad to get to Eureka, then on to Trinidad where my opulent borrowed 5th wheel awaited. 310 miles and I was pooped.
Tuesday got up, cleaned carpet, saw the eye doc, and took a few local pics.    
Fish camp

Scenic but non functional lighthouse. The town of Trinidad is behind me, Trinidad Head is the mound in the distance and the harbor is between here and the Head.

This morning, headed back via 299. A fire tore through a few weeks ago and destroyed some small resorts, homes and businesses along the Trinity River. Didn't get any good shots on the way home, the ride was alternately great, with hardly any traffic (because of highway construction) or crummy and slow for the same reason. Ended up getting to Redding, then south to home. 310 miles over, 234 back and a little pooping around over there for 559 round trip. Bike ran great and got lots of compliments.

Ben

09-27-2017 09:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
RE: Trip to Trinidad
Great report, Ben.. The bike is indeed looking compliment worthy. Nice looking coast too.
09-27-2017 11:35 PM
GaryMNM Offline
1st Service Completed

Southern Nevada
Very nice, looks like a great outing and clear skies. I usually end up hitting the overcast sky when I've been along the central and northern coast. Undecided

I couldn't tell from the pic's, is that some type of backrest set up you have or just an additional bag/pack?

Either way thanks for sharing and taking us along Ben, nice pic's and write-up. Thumbs Up
09-28-2017 08:16 AM
use2b Offline
High Mileage

Perdido Key Florida
looks like fun , i love the coast and scenery you guys post so thanks.
nice looking ride also Ben

The best part about growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old.
former owner of the baddest 2013 CB1100 ever ;] now a plush ride -2014 Goldwing Valkyrie GL1800C
09-28-2017 09:16 AM
Ben70 Offline
Running Like a Top

NCAL
Hey, GaryMNM, that is a camera backpack made by Manifrotto. I like it because it fits nicely on the OEM rack and the contour sort of mimics the tank shape. It is a bit different from a regular backpack in that it is well padded, and the bottom(or front, mounted as it is) can be separated with a zippered internal flap and has a six-pack container looking divider in it for lenses I suppose. All of which gives it structural integrity so it doesn't look like a flat beach toy if all you have in it is sunglasses and chapstick. Or you can remove all that and just stuff it full. It shows up on their website as Advanced Camera/Laptop backpack Active 1. Good for daytrips. I found it at Costco around Christmas last year for about $50. Lists for twice that on the website.
Re. the sunny skies, now through the end of October is a great time to visit the north coast. Of course, anything can happen.
A few bonus pics...

Ben

09-28-2017 03:24 PM
GaryMNM Offline
1st Service Completed

Southern Nevada
Ahh, now I can see it. More great pic's, thanks and thanks for the bag feedback.

Here's a couple cases in point. This was a tad further north of your run, Crescent City, Battery Point vicinity. Brisk, damp, still nice but no popping colors due to lack of sunshine. Undecided

09-28-2017 07:55 PM
Ben70 Offline
Running Like a Top

NCAL
Still, that's a nice shot! There is a lot to be said about the aesthetics of fog. Just don't try to say it to a sailor trying to find his way into a foggy harbor.

Ben

09-28-2017 08:35 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Oh, gee, don’t talk about the aesthetics of fog to a motor cycle rider working his or her way through an early morning pea soup number. The moisture gradually accumulates in your visor ‘till you’re quite blind and won’t blow off as easily as rain, in part because you can’t ride quickly enough. A couple of the more difficult rides I’ve had have been in fog.

Having got that rant off my chest, I can now confess to agreeing with you about how pretty Gary’s photos are. Big Grin
09-28-2017 10:27 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,754

Full Statistics

>