Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Moto Disconnection Disorder
Ben70 Offline
Running Like a Top

NCAL
RE: Moto Disconnection Disorder
I have always loved boats. Had an uncle who loved sailing and I used to visit and help him sail in the summertime. Narragansett Bay, Block Island, Martha's Vineyard, Maine, etc.
After we were married, my wife and I moved back to Rhode Island and we ended up sailing two Bermuda Races and lived aboard the boat, a Swan 48, for three years. Operated it for charter in the Lesser Antilles and absolutely lived the dream.
We decided if we were going to live a "real" life we needed to get back on dry land and get a degree or a trade, and ended up back in northern California.
We started sailing small boats and ended up with a Thistle, a high performance three person dinghy, also an excellent daysailor. Participated nearly every weekend in a local event, went to Nationals at Flathead Lake in Montana and sailed San Francisco and Monterey Bays.
We got lucky late in life and were blessed with a son when we were 40. I sold my Yamaha XS11 because it wasn't a 3 person activity, and my son never really liked sailing. We started going to watch him play sports and all of a sudden it has been years since I have been sailing. Still get out on the water in a motorboat to fish.
One of the reasons for the motorcycle was to have an activity I could do without rounding up a crew or prepping extensively.
The first time the Thistle has been out of the garage in ten years was to make room for the CB. I really need to sell it.
Anyway, as someone once said, life is what happens while you are making other plans.
Thanks for your service, Guth, and know you have friends out here you have never met who wish you well whatever the future may bring.

Ben

10-08-2017 04:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
Moto Disconnection Disorder
It happens, Guth. But you need to give it a little time. I've found that, approaching 60 years of age, I am 'throwing back the little ones.' In other words, eliminating things from my life that I find to be cluttering up my ability to enjoy the real passions and people that matter.

Over the last year, I started to sour on what was a big part of my motorbike thing...collecting, maintaining, and wrenching old bikes. Just slowly, and almost completely, lost interest in it. Started contemplating selling them off, and I'm not certain that won't happen yet. But I'm taking some time to let the thoughts marinate a bit. And as to your CB, or motorcycling in general, you may want to see if the feeing passes.

If you can afford to, maybe even mothball the CB for 6 months. Prep it, cover it, keep it on a tender, drop the insurance. See how you feel in 2018.

Sports cars are cool, so are bikes, you'll be in good shape no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
10-08-2017 04:59 PM
pdedse Offline
Been There

Oregon
Fascinating topic. You can do a search over "losing interest in things I once loved" and find articles, blogs and such over the topic. Lots of them point to depression, but some say normal life swings. A therapist friend of mine and I are of the same age- 54--and he told me there's a chemical / hormone thing we (men?) lose as we age and it has to deal with motivation (it wasn't testosterone). But I can't remember the name.

I think if you leave off one thing and develop others you're fine. But if you start losing interest in all activities that use to interest you, that might be a cause for concern.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2017 05:09 PM by pdedse.)
10-08-2017 05:08 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Such thoughtful responses — it's always nice to be reminded of what a great group of folks this place has attracted. Very much appreciated guys.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
10-08-2017 11:41 PM
pdedse Offline
Been There

Oregon
(10-08-2017 11:41 PM)Guth Wrote:  Such thoughtful responses — it's always nice to be reminded of what a great group of folks this place has attracted. Very much appreciated guys.

Maybe the issue is that you use the bike for commuting and that's not fun. This evening I rode Marine Drive along the Columbia, from about 40th east to 223rd to get back to Gresham...you know the ride...sun setting, Columbia river, sailboats, open, blue sky, Mt hood in the distance. Maybe a ride like that a few times a month is all you need. If I had to commute on my CB1100 with lots of traffic, maybe I grow tired of it. Probably more the commute than the riding itself.
10-09-2017 12:19 AM
Ole Offline
High Mileage

Evansville Wisconsin
(10-08-2017 11:42 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Anybody want to buy about 100 bows, 500 arrows, a dozen really old books, or 100 stuffed animals?

Sure I'll take a 400 inch elk
to go along with my 325 incher
10-09-2017 06:20 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
How about a 206" whitetail? Or a 184 pound 8'9" cougar?

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2017 07:06 AM by The ferret.)
10-09-2017 07:04 AM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
On a similar note : I collected toy tractors (Ferguson and Massey Ferguson ) for over 20 years and ended up with well over 800 pieces and about $ 60.000 invested.
When I retired there was less money in the "toy box" and as riding a motor cycle is an active hobby and collecting things is an more inactive pleasure I decide to sell all the tractors and just have the motor cycle hobby.
I still love riding even after 50 years owning bikes.
10-09-2017 07:16 AM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
From the time I was 20 motorcycles were my passion and my social life. In the 60s I built a café racer from the ground up. In the late 70s took a 1972 BSA Lightning completely apart and restored it. In the early 80s was the president of a 150 member Touring Club. But later when my wife lost interest in motorcycling and I became involved in beer league sports, I stopped riding after 23 years in the saddle. Life's priorities change.

For 25 years I never gave motorcycling a thought. But after attending a vintage motorcycle rally with a friend, the buzz came back. Bought a Honda CB500XA for my 68th birthday and put 33,000 kilometers on it over 3 summers.

As my wife was not interested in motorcycling and all the biker friends I had known decades ago had stopped riding, I became a lone wolf. I do chew the fat with other bikers when stopped for gas or food, but prefer to ride alone.

Once a week I ride the back roads from 8 in the morning to 5 at night. While I still sweep through the corners, I really find getting away from the city therapeutic. The smell of the pine forests, sparkle of the sun on pristine lakes, and ever changing scenery just fill a void and put me at ease.

2017 CB1100 EX
10-09-2017 07:55 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Mr. P: Sounds like another situation th . . .GoldOxide — 05:42 AM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
peterbaron — 05:37 AM