Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How many of you use the liners that come with jackets?
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I have a 1/2 closet full of liners that came with my jackets.. Tourmaster, Cortech, Fox Creek, Teknic, X Element, as I never use the liners that come with the coats. I have other gear I wear under my coats which works better for me. I find the coat liners a pia to take in and out, and being a layering kinda guy they just don't work for me.

Anyone else not use the liners that come with their coats?

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
10-17-2017 02:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bigsheep Offline
Running Like a Top

Hamilton, ON
RE: How many of you use the liners that come with jackets?
Most useless liner I ever got was with my mesh. It had a simulated goose down that keeps you pretty warm til about 40km/hr then the wind rips the heat off your body and it's useless. Once I was out later than planned and only had my mesh jacket because I was in sport mode. (Hard cases off). I stopped at a gas station and wrapped my body in a newspaper under the jacket. It was more effective than the liner that came with it....

1968 CB350
1981 CB125S
2002 CBR600F4i
2013 CB1100
2014 Honda CTX700N (sold)
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2017 02:24 PM by bigsheep.)
10-17-2017 02:24 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Never. My wife does, though, unless she's wearing her heated jacket under her mesh jacket. I have windproof layers I can use if needed. If it's raining, I put the rain gear over the jacket. I do use the liners for my riding pants in the winter, usually with a pair of fleece long-johns under them.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
10-17-2017 02:25 PM
Pete Erickson Away
1st Service Completed

Vancouver, WA
I use mine, but I do not attach them to the jacket. When it stops raining or warms up, I put them in my tail bag. I purchased a Tourmaster Pivot jacket last year that, with the liners, is pretty close to a 4 season jacket. It has been comfortable down to 35F and up to 100F. Below 35F, I use a heated jacket liner. When it is cool out, I usually ride in just a T-shirt with the thermal and rain liners on.
10-17-2017 02:31 PM
postoak Offline
Running Like a Top

The Woodlands, Texas
On my summer jacket I do put it in in late fall. My winter jacket, I took out the liner and couldn't get it back in so I threw it away.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
Candy Red
10-17-2017 03:00 PM
tinboatcapt Offline
1st Service Completed

Minnesota, USA
+1. I concur. I have the Joe Rocket modular gear.

I find the liner (billed as "rain Liner") allows the jacket to become saturated with water and then weigh a ton. It is much more effective to put a rain jacket over the mesh. Its dry, warm, convenient to put on and take off without removing the jacket and fiddling with the zippers to insert the liner. When I finally ride out of the rain with the liner in the jacket, the liner is not breathable so becomes clammy. (or I stop, remove the liner and put a soaking wet jacket back on. Yeach!

Hey manufacturers, If your listening, a rain cover is more effective than the rain liner.

Jim

2014 CB1100 Std
2000 ST1100
1981 CB650C
10-17-2017 03:00 PM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
My leather jacket already weighs a ton without the liner. As the quilted line has no sleeves, it is useless for me. One of the features of my leather jacket is the venting zippers. This great in the summer, but the wind blast gets through them in the cold spring and fall weather.

While in Costco with my compulsive buyer, she showed me this flimsy feeling Paradox down filled jacket. It really is a long sleeved vest. It comes with a small bag that you can stuff the vest into. I didn't believe it until the sales person showed me. I thought this might be alright on cool mornings, and wouldn't take up very much room in the tail bag on warm afternoons.

Big surprize, it was exactly what I needed to wear under my leather jacket. Not only does it stop the wind blast from coming through the zippers, it is surprisingly warm for its size. It's collar is slightly taller than my leather jacket collar and keeps my neck warm. The back is longer at the bottom than my leather jacket, so the small of my back is kept warm.

On cold mornings I can stuff it in my helmet when I make a stop for breakfast or lunch. On warm afternoons it will fit in the small polyester bag that came with it. It was like trying to push a marshmallow into a piggy bank the first time I tried it. But after learning to zip it up and push the arms inside, it only takes a minute to fold and roll it into the bag.

2017 CB1100 EX
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2017 03:25 PM by Nortoon.)
10-17-2017 03:24 PM
Retsel Offline
High Mileage

Pacifica
I too have about 6 liners in the back of my closet un-used. I thought it was a California thing, never needing them I mean.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
10-17-2017 05:02 PM
PowerDubs Offline
Road Warrior

NWNJ
I have Dainese jacket and pants that both came with cold & wet liners. I have not found a need for either.

The jacket & pants have vents that work well opened in summer, and once colder temps hit, just zip closed and everything is good. I have never needed anything underneath other than boxers and a t-shirt. I have ridden as such in the rain- again no problems, although it was only about a 45-50 minute trip.

When cold, I do wear a neck gaiter, have a set of winter gloves (longer cuff and non-perforated like my summer gloves) and a factory honda grip heater kit.

104whp / 75wtq ... for now.
10-17-2017 05:07 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Me! I do. All the time. It’s mostly too hot for a leather jacket where I live so I have an RST mesh jacket that has a waterproof lining and a thermal lining. I use it all year round and in various climates. It’s like layers, provided you don’t muck around trying to attach the cuffs.
10-17-2017 09:54 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Milestone Thread (Take 2)
Go Django! Interesting it doesn’t sa . . .Django — 11:40 PM
Sundays with Cheryl
Alright Cheryl's back riding. Been waiti . . .The ferret — 06:23 PM
Sundays with Cheryl