Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gears Racing Shocks
camoto Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
Gears Racing Shocks
https://www.gears-dynamics.com/products/...rear-shock

Anyone here have any experience with this company or their products?

Thanks!
10-18-2017 08:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
camoto Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
RE: Gears Racing Shocks
I figured I would post a follow-up to my own question as this didn't get any attention here. After doing some research, I found that this company is a Taiwanese company who is relatively new to the scene. They produce great quality suspension components for the racing scene (SXS, motorcycle, kart, etc.) From what I could tell they have a good reputation by their users (still relatively few but in the racing scene they have some wins).

After talking to Tommy at Gears-Racing in CA and hearing what he had to say about the product I was willing to take a chance with their products. I ordered the "Classico Edition" piggybackless shocks for the CB1100 (Classico is the black color scheme). I specifically wanted a piggybackless shock to avoid interference issues with my luggage.

I received the shocks today and was extremely impressed with the quality and workmanship. The machining and anodizing is flawless. I also was able to get out for a short test ride and I can only say that these shocks are heads and tails better than stock (to be fair I think most shocks would be a significant improvement as the stockers are garbage).

Bottom line I am pleased with the product, the fit and finish and the price was better than some of the other offerings in this class.

On to the pictures:

Very well packaged

Nice personal touch:

The product:

Swag:

Documentation:

Installed:
11-09-2017 12:41 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
They look great. Look forward to hearing more.
11-09-2017 01:40 PM
camoto Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
I had a nice opportunity today to really give these a good shakedown. Many of the roads around me are in bad condition and the stock suspension would really get out of sorts if you encountered the broken pavement in an aggressive turn.

I was really pleased with the improvement these shocks made. The bike is much more compliant now in situations where the stock shocks would be noticeably unsettled. I hate to use the word "plush" because it implies "mushy" to me, but I can say that I am no longer puckering or standing up slightly when there's a break in the pavement or a pothole. Most suspension components "break in" a little bit so I am expecting these to soften up a bit more but hopefully not too much.

One drawback of these is that it becomes glaringly obvious how lacking the front fork setup is when using them. Thankfully I already have the RT straight rate .90 kg/mm springs and 7.5WT fork oil here which I am expecting to make a positive improvement over stock in ride comfort and proper spring for my weight. If you have any specific questions please let me know!
11-12-2017 01:53 PM
SCCBrider Offline
Running Like a Top

South Carolina
Would you PM me and let me know what the cost were on these? I would like to fix my rear as well.
11-12-2017 08:06 PM
camoto Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
(11-12-2017 08:06 PM)SCCBrider Wrote:  Would you PM me and let me know what the cost were on these? I would like to fix my rear as well.

Hi, the price is right there on their website.

749 for the black and 20 for shipping.

11-13-2017 04:52 AM
4 Paws Offline
High Mileage

MM 199 on BRP (Fancy Gap VA)
Excellent report, thank you.
Would appreciate an explanation of how these differ from the Ikon product.

Best thing I learned from my dog: “Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride". Dan D.
11-14-2017 09:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
camoto Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
(11-14-2017 09:43 AM)4 Paws Wrote:  Excellent report, thank you.
Would appreciate an explanation of how these differ from the Ikon product.

I don't know if anyone would be able to get that info without a breakdown of the two products side by side. I would love to see that myself though!
11-14-2017 01:39 PM
Mscb1100 Offline
Running Like a Top

Birmingham, AL
(11-12-2017 01:53 PM)camoto Wrote:  I had a nice opportunity today to really give these a good shakedown. Many of the roads around me are in bad condition and the stock suspension would really get out of sorts if you encountered the broken pavement in an aggressive turn.

I was really pleased with the improvement these shocks made. The bike is much more compliant now in situations where the stock shocks would be noticeably unsettled. I hate to use the word "plush" because it implies "mushy" to me, but I can say that I am no longer puckering or standing up slightly when there's a break in the pavement or a pothole. Most suspension components "break in" a little bit so I am expecting these to soften up a bit more but hopefully not too much.

One drawback of these is that it becomes glaringly obvious how lacking the front fork setup is when using them. Thankfully I already have the RT straight rate .90 kg/mm springs and 7.5WT fork oil here which I am expecting to make a positive improvement over stock in ride comfort and proper spring for my weight. If you have any specific questions please let me know!

Thanks for the update on how these perform.
Are they built to your weight or is it 1 size for all.

Looks fast sitting still
11-14-2017 03:56 PM
SCCBrider Offline
Running Like a Top

South Carolina
(11-13-2017 04:52 AM)camoto Wrote:  
(11-12-2017 08:06 PM)SCCBrider Wrote:  Would you PM me and let me know what the cost were on these? I would like to fix my rear as well.

Hi, the price is right there on their website.

749 for the black and 20 for shipping.

Thanks a lot.Thumbs Up
11-14-2017 06:38 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
Weather is pretty consistent now. The c . . .GoldOxide — 02:59 PM