Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Electric Gloves/gear
Bheezy27403 Offline
High Mileage

Triad NC
Electric Gloves/gear
Ok, talk of heated gloves on another thread has me interested. My hands are why I don't ride in the cold (less than 40). I have a pair of Frank Thomas insulated, waterproof gloves that are ok untill the hand sweats start. they also curl a bit naturally which I don't like and I feel "insulated" from the bikes controls too.
I have never owned any electric stuff but it may be the answer. How do they hook up? To the bike? To a batt pack? Is it cumbersome? Wires everywhere?
All opinions and info welcomed
10-18-2017 08:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
RE: Electric Gloves/gear
I bought a Gerbing heated jacket liner last year (first heated gear ever ) and I love it, should have bought it years earlier !
At the same time I bought the Gerbing jacket liner control unit , a dial type but not user friendly. You are much better of getting the Hotwired jacket liner controller. They all fit together.
I run a cable direct from the battery to the controller/jacket , make certain to use the right fuse.
As I have multiple bikes I never had heated grips but 2 years ago I bought the Held Twin Chamber winter gloves, they are very nice but not cheap.
I only use Held gloves , they are well made , fit me great and have great safety futures and a handy visor wiper.
10-18-2017 01:08 PM
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
Lots of good info at these two sites:

https://www.thewarmingstore.com

http://www.warmnsafe.com

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-heated-gear

I have a Powerlet RapidFIRe heated jacket liner:

Gerbing's T5 Hybrid heated leather gloves:

and a dual portable Heat-troller controller:

The connections are all "DC coax" which is a type of tip and ring connector. You can supply power directly from the battery through a fuse to a female DC coax or through a fused switched relay. I like the portable Heat-troller because I use Velcro to make a loop around my jacket's belt. That way it follows me from bike to bike vs. needing a Heat-troller mounted on each bike. Be sure to get a controller because straight voltage applied to the jacket liner or gloves will quickly cook you. You may also want a short extension cord so you can move around on the bike without accidentally unplugging.

The jacket liner plugs into both channels of the Heat-troller. One channel is the jacket liner power, the other is glove power. Internal wires carry the glove power through the jacket liner and down the sleeves to the cuffs. You plug the gloves into the DC coax leads on the jacket liner cuffs.

By wearing the Heat-troller on your body, there is only a single connection from the Heat-troller to the main DC coax power lead on the bike.

2012 Honda CBR250RA Candy Ruby Red/Silver
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2017 06:59 PM by Stichill.)
10-18-2017 06:56 PM
dsan1964 Offline
Running Like a Top

california
Electric Gloves/gear
I love my heated jacket and gloves!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
10-18-2017 07:27 PM
GaryMNM Offline
1st Service Completed

Southern Nevada
(10-18-2017 08:29 AM)Bheezy27403 Wrote:  How do they hook up? To the bike? To a batt pack? Is it cumbersome? Wires everywhere?
All opinions and info welcomed

It's pretty much like hooking up a battery tender, the bolt on version. One wire to the positive battery post, the other to the negative or a local ground bolt. If you do have the battery tender pigtail already in place you may want to just pick up an adapter cable and you're done (check your fuse requirement).

If you don't have the tender connection; the pigtail connector is then routed and accessible from your location of choice. Between the front of the tank/seat, from under the seat, or even from the rear side below the seat (there is already a cutout between the shock & frame).

Keep in mind where ever you decide, you will want it conveniently located/accessible while sitting on the bike since you will need to connect and disconnect each time you mount dismount if/when it's actively used.

I have no experience with the self contained rechargeable battery pack units.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2017 09:07 PM by GaryMNM.)
10-18-2017 09:03 PM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I have a warm n safe jacket liner and heated glove liners (already have plenty of gloves) glove liners plug into cuffs on jacket liner, dual heat controller control heat to liner and glove liners separately. Heat controller plugs into my battery tender pigtail. I keep controller in side pocket of tank bag.

ST has aftermarket heated grips and handlebar muffs, so I only need my regular deer skin gloves on that for my hands.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
10-19-2017 05:54 AM
4 Paws Offline
High Mileage

MM 199 on BRP (Fancy Gap VA)
Garbing is headquartered in my city so I was able to get some heated pants and gloves along with controllers at an excellent price - 75% off retail! Pants have some armor and abrasion resistance and also have removable layers, waterproof membrane and 'quilted electric heat', so I can and do use them year round. Excellent quality pants I wear three seasons - only mesh pants are comfortable in the summers here.

Love them for thermal protection, was riding last winter for quite a while and couldn't even tell I was outside. Also purchased a battery powered lightweight zip up jacket from them for off bike use, took that to Iceland in January where it performed remarkably well.

Electric gear isn't inexpensive but it sure makes cold weather riding worthwhile.

Best thing I learned from my dog: “Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride". Dan D.
10-19-2017 07:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
I got my Gerbing's T5 Hybrid heated leather gloves this season from a vendor on eBay for $94 delivered. I'd been using heated glove liners but found two disadvantages: 1) it feels like you're pulling off and on two pairs of gloves every time you need to use your fingers...because that's essentially what you are doing 2) if you're wearing winter gloves in your normal size, the added thickness of the liners makes the gloves tight and inhibits circulation a bit.

With heated gloves, there's no additional procedure other than plugging them into the ports on the jacket cuff. When you need them off, zip they're off and dangling from the cords so you don't even have to stow them somewhere on the bike while they're off. I've found that winter gloves in my normal size tend to feel tight just because they are bulkier. I bought my heated gloves a size larger than my normal glove size. The extra interior room allows for good blood circulation and actually forms more internal air pockets for additional insulation. A nice surprise is that every finger and thumb seems to be heated on all sides including the palms, so I don't even need to turn on my heated grips.

2012 Honda CBR250RA Candy Ruby Red/Silver
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2017 05:01 AM by Stichill.)
10-20-2017 04:59 AM
Bheezy27403 Offline
High Mileage

Triad NC
Hmmm. Good info. I do have a batt tender pigtail hooked up which has the male and female tip. So I guess I'm partially there. I'll need to do some research on gloves and jacket liners.

thanks for the replies gents.
10-20-2017 06:44 PM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Riding with a heated jacket liner is like riding wrapped in an electric blanket

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
10-20-2017 07:16 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,752

Full Statistics

>