Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Electric Gloves/gear
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
RE: Electric Gloves/gear
Thanks for the heads up, JD. All I know at this piping is the batteries charged quickly. Next cold day, I’ll test the battery life.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
12-04-2017 05:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bheezy27403 Offline
High Mileage

Triad NC
I purchased (well ,my buddy did through his shop) a pair of gloves before my mountain trip. As stated, GIANT pain in the butt to wire them through your riding jacket. I ended up taping the wires in under the jacket liner and this helped with the bird nest of wires and the controller.

I wore the glove liners under my Klim windstopper gloves and was very comfortable other than being a little tight. I may purchase another pair of Klims in a larger size just for cold weather riding with the heated liners (the Klims are remarkably warm for how thin they are, almost no wind through at all).

The gloves are great, the brand escapes me right now, and they were on closeout for $77. Seems like a good deal. However, I will now be buying a heated jacket liner just to ease the use of the gloves.

It never ends...
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 10:31 AM by Bheezy27403.)
12-04-2017 10:29 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
The quickest of early reviews on the Joe Rocket Burner gloves....

Was not out long enough to test battery life, but I've used the gloves for a total of about 1.5 hours with 1 hour of that on "High" and they are not yet in need of charging.
Gloves get plenty hot when out of the cold/wind.
My fingers still got very cold after 15 miles (about 50 minutes) on the bike. However, it was +3f with a -12f windchill and I have neither heated grips nor hand guards on my bike.

Not great results, but also not a very fair testing environment.

More on these gloves at a future date.....probably February. LOL

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
01-02-2018 09:48 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
(12-02-2017 03:10 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  Just bought these. Rechargeable batteries. Supposed to work for at least 3 hours on High, longer if I don’t need to be as toasty. 55 tomorrow, so I won’t be testing them anytime soon, but I will report back once I do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I've worn these on two rides. I think it is important to note that one ride was 15 miles @ about 3 degrees Fahrenheit and the other was about 12 miles @ about 24 degrees Fahrenheit. It is also important to note that I do not have heated grips or hand guards. I feel that those temps are on the "extreme" side of things and it may be unrealistic to expect these gloves to keep my hands "warm" at these low temps. However, they should at least keep my hands from feeling cold. They did not.

The batteries charge easy enough and they include a double-ended charging cord to do both batteries at once. The batteries were fully charged in advance of both rides, although on the first ride, they were charged a couple of days prior to their use.

The gloves felt warm enough in the house, but in just a few minutes after mounting up, my hands were cold. Really very very cold. Burning fingertips cold. That was the 3 degree day so I chalked it up to the extreme cold. I did check the gloves again inside and again they felt warm. I was under the impression that these gloves are wired into the fingers, but only the palms get warm. This is "no bueno" since I don't need my palms warm; I need my fingers and the back of my hands warm.

My hands fared no better on the 24 degree ride. This time, the batteries were charged fully immediately prior to the ride, not sitting around even overnight. There are four settings on each glove and both gloves were on "high". I wound up trying to keep my fingers warm by holding my hands against the CB1100's cooling fins at stop lights/signs. I was very disappointed in these gloves at this point.

This morning, I thought I'd give them one more chance in a less extreme environment--shoveling snow in temps in the upper 20s. No wind to speak of and I figured that the physical activity would help my hands stay naturally warmer and the gloves would then have an easier time warming them. Same result only I didn't have the CB1100 engine block to warm them between scoops of snow.

One last thing... they do not seem to offer much in the way of abrasion protection either.

So, I have a glove that doesn't protect me in a fall and doesn't protect me from the cold, even for walking around.

Do not buy these gloves.

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
02-07-2018 05:50 PM
Inhouse Bob Offline
Road Warrior

NoVA
I have two pairs of heated gloves that I can't stand. They get plenty hot but where the hard plastic knuckles cover my knuckles, it gets so hot that I can't wear them. The plastic pushes the heating elements into my hand and that is very uncomfortable. I also don't like the bulk of thick gloves. My solution is to wear lighter deerskin gloves with long gauntlets and use Cycle Gear's heated glove liners. That combo has kept me warm in any weather and even when my hands get wet. Quality-wise, the liners have performed fine for three years. Cycle gear pretty much just replaces things with no questions asked, so that's nice.
02-07-2018 07:18 PM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
A couple years ago I was at Aerostich in Duluth and was able to go through their leather glove bin and pick up a left and right glove that fit fairly well with liners. Still, no padding, still feels like two gloves and it pinches off circulation. I did recently convert the simple button controller in the liner to a wireless unit so I can tweak the levels without messing with the button which is usually all sealed up under my layers. I'm not convinced it actually works the way I want it to (variable control) - off and and for sure. Just don't have a way to test out the variable aspect yet. Maybe I should work on that tomorrow.

The liners hook up to wires in the electric jacket liner so I think I'll be able to piggy back off of that for juice if I don't go the battery route.

I have considered a pants liner and ditched the idea until my last ride where the top of my legs got cold. Need to rethink that a bit. Most of the time it would be over kill - but when you need it you need it!

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
02-07-2018 09:22 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
My wife bought the women's version of this jacket a couple of years ago. https://mobilewarming.com/men-s/jackets/...t-12v.html

It's from Mobile Warming, some of whose products are sold at The Warming Store (see Stichill's recommendation). It can run on battery or 12v. If I recall, the sleeve heating elements do not activate when plugged to the battery. My wife loves this jacket. In fact, she wore it to work today because it's a little chilly here.

I was originally looking for a 12v heated vest liner for on my bike and a waterproof, fleece-lined shell (ie Northface jacket) because I don't have a mid-weight winter jacket. I tend to like multi-tasking gadgets and gear, so I am now considering the Mobile Warming dual-power jacket for myself. It's a little pricey, but I'm getting two jackets in one (three, if I can golf in it) or their dual-powered vest. Thanks, Stichill, for posting about The Warming Store which got me thinking about multi-tasking apparel...very helpful.

Addendum -- I won't be getting the vest because I cannot connect gloves to it...well, maybe I could connect gloves to the integrated hookup for pants, but that seems cumbersome. Also, all of this assumes that I can plug in any glove with a compatible connector, which I think is true.

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2018 07:04 AM by EmptySea.)
02-08-2018 06:50 AM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
My heated gear is the stuff sold at Cycle Gear.

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
02-08-2018 08:07 AM
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
(02-08-2018 06:50 AM)EmptySea Wrote:  Addendum -- I won't be getting the vest because I cannot connect gloves to it...well, maybe I could connect gloves to the integrated hookup for pants, but that seems cumbersome. Also, all of this assumes that I can plug in any glove with a compatible connector, which I think is true.

I wouldn't recommend a vest for riding because your upper arms tend to get the coldest...you need heat there.

The dual-power jacket is pretty cool. You could go to a wintry football game on battery power for example.

2012 Honda CBR250RA Candy Ruby Red/Silver
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2018 08:41 AM by Stichill.)
02-08-2018 08:40 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
What are folks doing about their toesies? I don't think I need heated pants, but my feet do get cold. Battery-heated socks?

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
02-08-2018 09:02 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition