Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A few changes - Ongoing Saga
camoto Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
A few changes - Ongoing Saga
I'm on a bit of a journey with this bike. After putting a couple thousand miles on it and learning what I like and don't like I'm starting to make some more changes.

Today I completed the "controls" update. I started with Pazzo levers when I first got the bike but finished up by adding Rizoma risers, Renthal bars and Rizoma bar ends. The mirrors are the Bikemaster Tube mirrors. I also changed out the turn signals for the LP aluminum ones front and rear which are way smaller and look way less goofy than the stock '13 signals. I have the Puig raptor on there but honestly I don't think I like the look. I've got a Dart on the way in midnight and I am going to try that as well. Based on what I am seeing I think I will prefer the Dart.

The position is a lot more natural to me, I felt like I was halfway between forward controls position and standard. This gets my torso a bit more forward, my wrists a bit more straight and puts my hips in a better position on the Corbin seat and it's even more comfortable now. Again key words here are "for me".

Headlight is the JW Speaker and I have a thread for it here:
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11421

This winter I have a few things planned. I'm going to be powdercoating the wheels black, and I am going to try to replicate the Bad Seeds side covers. I'm going to leave the fenders chrome as I don't want a completely blacked out look. Along with this I am going to be moving to a 19T front sprocket and I'll be doing a bunch of driveline maintenance (new chain, cush, tires). I've already replaced the pads with EBC HH and they bite great.

I have some cheapo aluminum pegs on there. The rubber OEM ones felt too bulky to me and I felt disconnected to the bike when pushing on the outside peg in turns. The rubber moved around too much on the peg.

Still torn on the SW Motech bars. I'm not into the look of them and I already pay for insurance on the bike so why do I need them. I don't have the OEM hardware that goes back on it so that's the only thing keeping me from ripping them off right now.

I'm also going to swap out these ridiculously terrible stock shocks for something that holds a solid line in a rough turn. These shocks are great for relaxed riding but as soon as you get a little aggressive with them they fall apart. Still trying to figure out what to get here. My heart says Ohlins but my brain tells me that there are other choices. I want something a bit better than the Ikons. (Nothing against them just looking for something I can push a bit harder, the roads I ride on are not in the greatest condition).

Anyways, no post complete without pics. I'll use this as my "build thread" for those who are interested in watching this hot mess.

Keep an eye on the classifieds section for anything that comes off the bike, as I'll be trying to unload the stuff here before I go to ebay.
10-21-2017 12:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
iamheero Offline
1st Service Completed

Los Angeles
RE: A few changes - Ongoing Saga
I love my SW Motech bars but after someone ran into me I sadly scratched one of them up! I have a pair of sliders as well (Baby Face from Webike) but I'd take those SWs off your hands in trade for the stock parts! I always keep the old stuff when I put on the new. I may be interested in the Ikons as well if you get them and don't love them...

'14 CB1100 (RIP)
'17 CB1100EX
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2017 08:47 PM by iamheero.)
10-21-2017 08:47 PM
mattvoyle Offline
1st Service Completed

Los Angeles
(10-21-2017 12:21 PM)camoto Wrote:  Still torn on the SW Motech bars. I'm not into the look of them and I already pay for insurance on the bike so why do I need them.

Is your deductible less the the price of replacement crash bars, or a can of paint if they got scratched up? Do you care about your rates going up if you did have to use insurance for something the bars would have prevented?

I might be biased though as I actually do like the look of them... That and they literally saved my leg from getting crushed after a Prius turned left in front of me.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2017 10:46 AM by mattvoyle.)
10-22-2017 10:45 AM
paulw Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
I don't know which type mine are as they came with the bike and are chrome. Just after buying the bike I managed to drop it on the left side in my garage when I didn't fully engage the sidestand. Total damage to the bike was a small scratch on the crash bars and a little nick in the countershaft cover from my boot. I had contemplated taking them off before this happened but now they are staying. I cannot imagine the amount of damage that would have been done to the engine cases without them.
10-22-2017 11:29 AM
camoto Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
It's just a gamble I am willing to take I suppose. I understand the consequences and it's just not worth adding more heavy, ugly steel bars to the bike.

In my mind, if I were to follow that logic I could also add a whole lot more steel bars to the bike and protect it from most crashes.
10-22-2017 02:23 PM
camoto Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
I've finished my take at replicating the Bad Seeds side covers. I made a template from images I could find of the BS side covers and modified the positioning slightly. Drilled 1 1/4" holes and used 5/32 inch hole 20 gauge perforated 304 stainless screen as a grate. I used plastidip as a paint to try to match the airbox covers as much as possible. It's not a perfect match but it's closer than flat black paint would have been.

Also installed the Dart flyscreen. Much better than the Puig in looks and barely different in wind protection.

Next up the WH small front fender.
11-07-2017 07:51 AM
Nemo Offline
High Mileage

Jacksonville, FL
I like what you did with the side covers! Thumbs Up

Maybe I should experiment a little with the extra set I have... Confused

N

“It is easier for me to be forgiving of the stupid than of the evil."
EmptySea

#BLACKBIKESMATTER
11-07-2017 08:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
camoto Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
thanks! Why not experiment if they are extra?
11-07-2017 05:18 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Great job on replicating the BS side covers

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
11-07-2017 06:09 PM
camoto Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
thanks!
11-07-2017 11:10 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974