Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Test Rode a Kawasaki Z900
postoak Offline
Running Like a Top

The Woodlands, Texas
Test Rode a Kawasaki Z900
I know at least one member here traded in his CB1100 for a Z900 and I've heard nothing but good things about them so I thought I'd give one a try since there is a dealer not too far from me who actually allows test rides.

My first impression on approaching the bike is that it is small. There's no presence to it. When I sat on it I felt that there was nothing in front of me, especially compared to the GL1800C Valkyrie I ride.

The other member said he found the ergos quite comfortable. I found just the opposite. The front lean angle was "ok" -- I wouldn't want anything more than that but I could live with what it is but the backward knee angle was horrible -- incredibly cramped and noticeably worse than the CB1100, which itself is cramped.

The bike revved nicely in a way the CB1100 doesn't and it has noticeably better acceleration -- no complaints in that department.

I was looking forward to something with a slipper clutch because going from 2nd to 1st on the Valk is like hitting the brakes hard. I was surprised that it seemed too effective. By which I mean I would be in 6th and download to 5th expecting some engine braking and getting almost none. So, I'd drop to 4th and still little engine braking and so drop to 3rd. I guess that is something I'd get used to.

As for being light and maneuverable, well, I guess I don't ride hard enough (and certainly not on a test ride) to notice that much difference from my 754 pound Valk. I'm pretty sure that once I got comfortable with it and tested it harder the difference would become more apparent. My main complaint with the weight of the Valk is coming to stops. It is a bear in stop-and-go traffic.

I guess one thing not talked about in discussing older bikes and retros is that they are built longer and have a certain presence when you're sitting on them and I kind of miss that with these modern bikes. It will be interesting to see what the length of the new Z900RS is. I can already tell by looking at the photo of the cafe version that was posted that the backward knee angle is going to be a problem for some.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
Candy Red
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2017 09:32 AM by postoak.)
11-13-2017 09:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Test Rode a Kawasaki Z900
"The bike revved nicely in a way the CB1100 doesn't and it has noticeably better acceleration -- no complaints in that department."

Do you mean it revved up quicker? and had a harder top end hit?

Yea, the CB wasn't designed like that.

Slipper clutches are weird like that, you have to run it in deep, get hard on the brakes and downshift like a maniac to use them as designed.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
11-13-2017 09:33 AM
postoak Offline
Running Like a Top

The Woodlands, Texas
I've talked about the way the CB1100 (and the Valkyrie, which has almost the same characteristics) seems to "resist" revving. I have to just grab the throttle and twist it hard on these in a way I don't with some other bikes. I've tried to explain this elsewhere but failed, I think. I don't have enough experience with different bikes to be able to say what I am feeling. Sometimes I think the problem is that these 1000 CC plus bikes just have too much torque. I'd really like to ride something like a CB500 and see what it was like.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
Candy Red
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2017 09:41 AM by postoak.)
11-13-2017 09:40 AM
alprider Offline
High Mileage

CH
The kawa is a sportsbike..i mean it has a rpm engine and not a torque like a cruiser like our CB...

No wonder about the kneeangle...its a sportbike....smile....

being light and maneuverable......so long you dont drive fast hot small S- curves you feel it not realy...

Much torque gives much enginebreaking........
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2017 11:38 AM by alprider.)
11-13-2017 11:22 AM
postoak Offline
Running Like a Top

The Woodlands, Texas
It isn't really a sportbike though. It is advertised as a naked bike, which in today's parlance means more upright riding position and a little more foot-forward position.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
Candy Red
11-13-2017 11:49 AM
use2b Offline
High Mileage

Perdido Key Florida
(11-13-2017 11:22 AM)alprider Wrote:  The kawa is a sportsbike..i mean it has a rpm engine and not a torque like a cruiser like our CB...

No wonder about the kneeangle...its a sportbike....smile....

being light and maneuverable......so long you dont drive fast hot small S- curves you feel it not realy...

Much torque gives much enginebreaking........

very well put !!! makes me appreciate what i have more ..
almost bought this Valk for 8800 and it did sell for 9k but the buyer backed out ...........
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Honda-Gold...1438.l2649

The best part about growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old.
former owner of the baddest 2013 CB1100 ever ;] now a plush ride -2014 Goldwing Valkyrie GL1800C
11-13-2017 12:08 PM
postoak Offline
Running Like a Top

The Woodlands, Texas
Well, shoot, if you want a Valk, I'll sell my 2014 for $7000 and it'll cost you about $600 to get it shipped to you.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
Candy Red
11-13-2017 12:13 PM
nhawk7504 Offline
Running Like a Top

Boston
My feeling was that I wanted my hands a little lower. With high pegs I always feel that way unless the seat is flat, and even then. Parallelogram pegs and bars, up or down either way. But in the case of the Z900 I'd just go with the RS now. Of course when you get on a CB11 it feels just right from the get go. Maybe a tad taller seat for those of us with longer inseams.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2017 11:39 AM by nhawk7504.)
11-14-2017 11:38 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
no kidding....that's just a picture too. . . .misterprofessionality — 07:34 AM
It's fun to read all these comments... . . .peterbaron — 07:18 AM