Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Quick question about chain adjustment
ohiorider Offline
Running Like a Top

NE Ohio
RE: Quick question about chain adjustment
(10-28-2017 08:44 AM)Full Throttle Wrote:  Don't over think it. it's just a chain.
I wasn't necessarily trying to overthink it, but I can't help thinking back to the days when I would remove a chain (non-o-ring obviously) from my 1963 BSA, clean it up, and soak it in a bath of (was it melted paraffin?) Back then, we were cautioned not to over-tighten the chain, since it would put excess wear on (a) the chain, (b) the sprockets, and © bearings supporting the primary sprocket shaft and rear wheel bearings.

So, old habits die hard. I still worry about over-tightening or misaligning chains and sprockets. However, since so many on this forum discussed having proper chain slack to eliminate drive line 'clunk,' I do tend to over think chain tension and alignment, because the 1" - 1.25" tolerance is rather tight to begin with.

Bob

1991 BMW R100GS
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2016 Triumph T120
11-01-2017 04:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
(11-01-2017 04:12 PM)ohiorider Wrote:  Back then, we were cautioned not to over-tighten the chain, since it would put excess wear on (a) the chain, (b) the sprockets, and © bearings supporting the primary sprocket shaft and rear wheel bearings.

FWIW, those concerns are still valid. If your chain is too tight, it will wear the driveline components prematurely.

I always try to keep my chain near the loose end of the spec. Over the decades, I've found they tend to last longer. The downside is that you have to deal with a bit more slop in the driveline, but judicious use of throttle and clutch will lessen the effects.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
11-01-2017 04:44 PM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
(11-01-2017 04:12 PM)ohiorider Wrote:  I can't help thinking back to the days when I would remove a chain (non-o-ring obviously) from my 1963 BSA, clean it up, and soak it in a bath of (was it melted paraffin?)
Bob

Sounds familiar. In the 60s and 70s, whenever I was changing the oil in a motorcycle, I would drain it into an old pot. Then I would remove the chain (master link), coil it up in the pot, and heat it with an old electric element with a cord and plug. After the chain cooked a while, I hung it on the clothes line with a coat hanger and let the excess oil drip off.

If today's tree huggers only knew what we did with the oil after that, they would faint. Dodgy

2017 CB1100 EX
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2017 10:12 AM by Nortoon.)
11-02-2017 10:11 AM
ohiorider Offline
Running Like a Top

NE Ohio
(11-02-2017 10:11 AM)Nortoon Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 04:12 PM)ohiorider Wrote:  I can't help thinking back to the days when I would remove a chain (non-o-ring obviously) from my 1963 BSA, clean it up, and soak it in a bath of (was it melted paraffin?)
Bob

Sounds familiar. In the 60s and 70s, whenever I was changing the oil in a motorcycle, I would drain it into an old pot. Then I would remove the chain (master link), coil it up in the pot, and heat it with an old electric element with a cord and plug. After the chain cooked a while, I hung it on the clothes line with a coat hanger and let the excess oil drip off.

If today's tree huggers only knew what we did with the oil after that, they would faint. Dodgy
Now I thought of another thing that worked for me ......... I always kept the previous chain (hung up in the garage) and hooked it to the current chain as I pulled it off the sprockets. Now, the old chain was in place, ready for me to use to pull the newly lubed chain back onto the sprockets.

Did I confuse anyone with this?

Bob

1991 BMW R100GS
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2016 Triumph T120
11-03-2017 03:12 PM
Django Offline
Road Warrior

Germany
(11-03-2017 03:12 PM)ohiorider Wrote:  Now I thought of another thing that worked for me ......... I always kept the previous chain (hung up in the garage) and hooked it to the current chain as I pulled it off the sprockets. Now, the old chain was in place, ready for me to use to pull the newly lubed chain back onto the sprockets.

Dang! I thought I was the only one who knew this trick. Beer

73 Django -- [url=http://www.ironbutt.com]IBA[/url] #59882 -- [url=https://djangotours.wordpress.com]Django Tours[/url] -- [url=http://1asw.de/~rsz/bilder/ES-I64/15-34-0832.jpg]Django on CB1100[/url]
This message was signaled with a flashlight into the end of a fiber.
11-03-2017 04:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM
I've been riding since I was a kid a . . .The ferret — 07:52 PM