Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Season Summary & Update From Member In Sudbury
Mandrau Offline
1st Service Completed

Canada
Season Summary & Update From Member In Sudbury
Greetings Forum Members,

It’s been a while since introducing myself to this great forum shortly after acquiring a 2016 CB1100A (Black with checkered racing stripe). Though I have not posted since then, I have visited many times since and am amazed at the level of knowledge and wisdom many of you so freely donate to this passion. Please accept my heartfelt thanks for the many things I have learned from you about my bike and about riding in general. As a way of giving a little back to the forum after receiving so much I thought I could try to share my experience with the bike since purchasing it at a local Honda Dealer in late June 2017.

First-off and to provide a little context, I had returned to motorcycle riding this summer after a 35 year hiatus and an earlier than expected retirement where the world I had been standing on for so long seemed to suddenly fall away. Suffice it to say that I was not a poster boy for retirement. Despite having read the cautionary forum posts about the CB1100 as a first bike, I could not see myself on any other bike. I initially had my sights on an Africa Twin but my 30” inseam pant leg would not allow it. That’s when I first saw the lone 2016 CB1100A on the showroom floor marked down a grand. I swear it chose me. I was smitten. What could I do?

Several weeks quickly passed trying to get my biking mojo back by doing local rides and practicing slow maneuvers, u-turns and panic breaking in empty parking lots at night (advantage of a quiet CB). I scared the crap out of myself watching every crash video I could find on the net. By mid-July or so I could wait no longer and figuring I needed to make up for lost time, I set out on my stock bike (no windscreen) for an epic solo ride through Ontario, Northern Quebec, The Gaspe Coast, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia (8000KM). I mostly avoided super highways in favour of scenic roads but there were times I did use them to outrun a storm or go really fast.

At times I was hot, at times cold, at times wet, at times dog tired, sore and times just plain scared after a close call or two. I realized how fragile I was next to nature’s elements and next to the cars and rigs all around. I had underestimated the physical demands of long distance riding and overestimated my ability to recover quickly enough to do it again the next day. Where only yesteryear stamina seemed so abundant, now it was a precious and limited resource. O’ the travails of the senior rider. Speaking of such I met a group of 5 older riders at a rest stop in Quebec who were laughing their heads off as they dismounted and took their helmets off. Turns out they were all brothers the eldest of whom (80+ years) had just experienced a sneezing fit while riding and his dentures went flying shattering on the road beneath him. They were teasing him that had he wore a full face helmet he would still have his dentures. I think I laughed for at least a hundred km after that. Hell, I’m laughing now.

The CB performed outstandingly and there were no mechanical issues whatsoever. It was a joy to ride fast or slow. Rock solid passing fast moving vehicles at 150-160km/hr (belly on the tank) and oh so sublime doing an easy 80 in fifth with only the sound of the wind (another advantage of a quiet CB). The sun, the sky, the breath taking scenery and the smell of grass, field, water and wood. On a bike you can touch it with all your senses - you are there! Riding my CB with no itinerary, time constraint and following my whim was a privilege I am deeply grateful for. Umm...maybe retirement isn’t the black hole I thought it was.

I wanted to keep riding because for the first time in a while I realized I was genuinely happy. But my money was running out and honestly so was my body. I missed the comforting presence of my gal whom I had subjected to an anxious, extended vigil. Late August nights were getting cool and mornings dewy-wet and misty. It was time to go home feeling grateful I had one when so many don’t.

The riding season ends for me with 13,600 solo kilometres on my odometer cause I took some other solo trips since returning. One through Algonguin Park when the leaves were turning and another to Port Dover’s Friday Oct. 13th Bike Rally (Sturges Lite). But that’s another story. Since then I have joined the Sudbury Chapter of the Southern Cruisers Riding Club (SCRC 418) and look forward to meeting other riders from time to time over the winter. Never been on a group ride and look forward to that adventure in the spring...

Cheers

PS: On returning from that trip, the first thing I did was to install a windscreen, got a good leather jacket and chaps and a full rain suit. Man, what a difference that made. BTW, never did see another CB1100 the whole riding season.
10-28-2017 02:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Season Summary & Update From Member In Sudbury
Great post.....

Lessee .. You went from not riding for 35 years to a 8000 km cross country trip without adequate gear? That's jumping in with both feet. Hope you enjoyed the adventure, sounds like a cool one in retrospect.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
10-28-2017 03:23 PM
Mandrau Offline
1st Service Completed

Canada
(10-28-2017 03:23 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Great post.....

Lessee .. You went from not riding for 35 years to a 8000 km cross country trip without adequate gear? That's jumping in with both feet. Hope you enjoyed the adventure, sounds like a cool one in retrospect.

Yep, kinda. I did have an Aria CT-Z 3/4 helmet. I had an Icon armoured synthetic jacket, Thor Moto pants and a rain over-jacket but they proved not to be as wind proof or warm enough for the coast. It was an unusually cool damp summer this year over there. I was protected safety wise but I have found good leather to be superior in hindsight. Thanks for the response Ferret - hoping you would...
10-28-2017 03:53 PM
CTsCB Offline
Break-In Period

Western Australia
Great read and I hope you enjoy your retirement!!
10-28-2017 04:49 PM
Jonz Offline
1st Service Completed

Astoria, OR
Great read! Hope to see more posts when your riding season starts again.
Did you have a camera on your journey?
Jon Z
10-28-2017 06:24 PM
Mandrau Offline
1st Service Completed

Canada

(10-28-2017 06:24 PM)Jonz Wrote:  Great read! Hope to see more posts when your riding season starts again.
Jon Z

I had an iPad and used it. Stlll figuring out how to post pics here.

(10-29-2017 03:56 AM)Mandrau Wrote:  
(10-28-2017 06:24 PM)Jonz Wrote:  Great read! Hope to see more posts when your riding season starts again.
Jon Z

I had an iPad and used it. Stlll figuring out how to post pics here.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2017 04:52 AM by Mandrau.)
10-29-2017 03:56 AM
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
Great story!
You sound a lot like me.
It was 34 years between bikes for me, but not quite as ambitious as you.
My adventure in 1999 was to ride to Boston and back.

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
10-29-2017 05:58 AM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Great pics. Did you camp along the way? What is the roll on the back of your bike?

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
10-29-2017 06:31 AM
valkanut Offline
Break-In Period

quebec,
(10-29-2017 06:31 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Great pics. Did you camp along the way? What is the roll on the back of your bike?

(10-29-2017 07:41 AM)valkanut Wrote:  [quote='The ferret' pid='186190' dateline='1509283882']
Great pics. Did you camp along the way? What is the roll on the back of your bike?

wow, you're a real biker and good writer.
i'm just a wanna be compare to you.
keep the dream alive and thanks for sharing.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2017 07:47 AM by valkanut.)
10-29-2017 07:41 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
A delightful story. Thank you for sharing your adventure.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
10-29-2017 07:50 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition