Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
tall rider - windscreen
Mandrau Offline
1st Service Completed

Canada
RE: tall rider - windscreen
I am not tall but, because it was available locally and cheap ($100), I installed a Slip Streamer S-06 Spitfire (smoke). Had to place some felt dots between the instrument cluster and the shield but that adds another support point for the shield which is very stable. Wind goes into my face now which is ok since my Arai CT-Z helmet handles that well. Also great to flip the visor up when it’s hot around town.

10-31-2017 08:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kennyw Offline
High Mileage

Gold Bar
(10-30-2017 10:11 AM)chync Wrote:  
(10-30-2017 09:14 AM)kennyw Wrote:  I am 6 foot tall and use two separate screens. A small one for the summer and a large one for the late fall, winter, and early spring months. You can find pics and information about both in the link in my signature.

Not seeing any links in your signature on the app. Does that only show up on the website?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you are using tapatalk, you have to show signatures. I have them turned off myself as well. The signatures are on by default on the normal website.

(10-30-2017 10:44 AM)rozbabbo1100 Wrote:  thanks Kenny...I think those windscreens are a bit too big for my liking. I was looking along the lines of the racer or café style...something a little more sporty. I def appreciate those options though. I bet they work fantastic for the long haul and when the weather breaks.

thanks again
I only have one large screen that I cut down and painted black. It works great for riding in the cold wet Seattle winters. I call it the BUS for big ugly screen.

The other one is an Emgo and is much smaller and matches the lines of the bike better. However, it is also universal so it requires trimming to make it work.

İmageİmage

If you want smaller than that, then you are looking for the Dart Flyscreen.

KennyW
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2017 01:33 PM by kennyw.)
10-31-2017 01:27 PM
Gumby 1100 Offline
Running Like a Top

Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
(10-30-2017 07:51 PM)LongRanger Wrote:  I'm 6'6". Naked works best for my CB, plus it best suits the character of the bike. In my experience, adding anything only creates buffeting and wind noise. Hope you find what works best for you.

Now that my CB is gone, I have to agree with LongRanger. I rode for the first season without a screen and it definitely was quieter and smoother. The only problem was that my face shield was plastered with bugs and riding long distances was tiring.

This is what what I eventually went with for the best protection with minimized buffeting and wind noise (National Cycle Street Shield with MRA X-creen Tour). Not pretty, but it kept my face shield clean Wink

2014 CB1100A (Canadian) #068 (Sold)
2018 Harley-Davidson Road King
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017 03:57 AM by Gumby 1100.)
11-01-2017 03:56 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Gumby, doesn’t a shield have to offer more than bug protection? It has to reduce buffeting without increasing noise or its no use. Every time I stop for fuel, I wash a shield-load of bugs away; if I had a wind shield, surely I’d be doing the same with a larger surface area.
11-01-2017 04:41 AM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
It's funny, my brother hates bugs on his faceshield, and takes the opportunity to clean them off at every stop during the day. I wait until the end of the days ride to clean my faceshield at home.

I rarely clean them off my windshields, headlights, mirrors, etc. that's what rain is for lol

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
11-01-2017 07:28 AM
Gumby 1100 Offline
Running Like a Top

Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
(11-01-2017 04:41 AM)Cormanus Wrote:  Gumby, doesn’t a shield have to offer more than bug protection? It has to reduce buffeting without increasing noise or its no use. Every time I stop for fuel, I wash a shield-load of bugs away; if I had a wind shield, surely I’d be doing the same with a larger surface area.

Well, that was the problem with the CB, it required a lot of compromises, and eventually I had enough. None of my cruisers or sport touring bikes ever had such a problem with wind, buffeting and noise. With proper screen height/adjustment and the use of lowers I always sat in a quiet pocket and didn't need ear plugs. Maybe lowers on the CB could have been the answer, but what looks good on a cruiser would have looked goofy on the CB.

The National Cycle screen provided good wind protection but it was incredibly noisy and caused some buffeting. It didn't tire me out like a few hours without the screen did. The MRA X-creen Tour (Add-on) reduced the buffeting considerably, and some of the noise, but it was still worse than any other bike I have owned.

2014 CB1100A (Canadian) #068 (Sold)
2018 Harley-Davidson Road King
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017 08:38 AM by Gumby 1100.)
11-01-2017 08:20 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Just think about this scenario.... You . . .Gone in 60 — 01:28 PM
that's how i was about my ducati sport c . . .m in sc — 01:20 PM