Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EX Vs RS views?
Beerman Offline
Break-In Period

UK
EX Vs RS views?
I joined this forum a good while back when looking at the 2013 CB1100. At that time I decided, rightly I think, that it was too heavy, and bought a Guzzi V711 Special.

The V7 is a really good bike. Time moves on though, and I am now much more comfortable with the idea of a 250kg bike than I was then, and I still think the CB1100 is a great looking bike.

So...I am now considering a new EX or a new RS. Are there any contributors who have experience of the RS and how it rides - there isn't a great deal of comparison beyond a couple of articles in Visordown etc. but what there is would tell me that the EX might be a better handling bike, but the RS has the looks (if you like the brasher, sportier look).

I found some really good advice on this forum last time round, and any advice would be appreciated.

Beerman
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017 10:30 AM by Beerman.)
11-01-2017 10:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
RE: EX Vs RS views?
I have never ridden a RS but have the EX , from reading the rapports on both bikes I am certain that at 67 the EX is the perfect bike for me and my style of riding.
11-01-2017 11:31 AM
chync Offline
Running Like a Top

Charlotte North Carolina
EX Vs RS views?
I haven’t ridden the rs but I have researched it quite a bit because I discovered the rs comes stock with some of the mods I have made to my 2014 standard. Beyond the looks the rs is a sportier ride. It has better suspension (at least in the rear) and I believe less rake. There may have been another slight mechanical difference I read about but I can’t recall at the moment. Oh, important one, 17” wheels I believe which means a wider selection of sport and sport-touring tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-01-2017 01:35 PM
Macduff Offline
1st Service Completed

NE UK
RS owner here, its a firm setup front and rear but not too firm IMO. Brakes have incredible power, probably the best of any of my previous bikes. I think the RS (and the other CB1100 versions) are limited more by using twin rear shocks given that they can only rely upon the springs (and possibly damping) to create a rising rate, so bumps hit at high(er) speeds can result in the rear bottoming out where a monoshock rising rate suspension design might cope better. I don't think Honda should change it as then it wouldn't be true to the retro intent and would be a facsimile rather than a pukka version (take note Kwaka Z900RS- a retro styling exercise only)

2017 CB1100RS (just gone but not forgotton), 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sport.
11-01-2017 01:56 PM
RandysCB1100 Offline
Break-In Period

Cincinnati Ohio USA
I chose the EX knowing the differences because if I was buying a bike to mostly turn and burn I'd choose another bike. I think the ex looks like a rolling jewel, and rides like one too. I think most of the members like me have had many motorcycles and our CBs are the top of what they are supposed to be, and I doubt that many of us would ride in the fringe of performance between the EX and RS very often even if you could. One of the reviewers of the EX RS came to the same opinion.
11-02-2017 01:12 PM
Beerman Offline
Break-In Period

UK
Thanks for this - Macduff (is the NE UK Scotland or England?) do you think the RS is good for rides of 2-300 miles, or do the ergonomics work against that? Have you added any luggage?

Beerman
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2017 02:31 PM by Beerman.)
11-02-2017 02:29 PM
easy Offline
Break-In Period

Poland, Szczecin
(11-02-2017 02:29 PM)Beerman Wrote:  Thanks for this - Macduff (is the NE UK Scotland or England?) do you think the RS is good for rides of 2-300 miles, or do the ergonomics work against that? Have you added any luggage?

Beerman

300 miles per day? easy :-) did 1000 miles in 3 days as break-in routine, pure happiness :-)
11-02-2017 05:05 PM
Macduff Offline
1st Service Completed

NE UK
(11-02-2017 02:29 PM)Beerman Wrote:  Thanks for this - Macduff (is the NE UK Scotland or England?) do you think the RS is good for rides of 2-300 miles, or do the ergonomics work against that? Have you added any luggage?

Beerman
NE as in the fog on the tyne. When I 1st got mine I needed to get the miles on it in short order as I booked the 1st service for a week after delivery so road upto Hawick then Carlisle and back to the Toon over the reasonably twisty stuff. I would say its as comfortable as a retro style bike can be and still have reasonable handling. Softer suspension would make it more comfortable but at the expense of limiting its get up and go ability.
It occasionally give rise to lower lumbar ache but that seems to be within a few mins of getting ondue to an old ligament tear I got riding mountain bikes and its also temperature related (cold=ache) . Its not my most comfortable bike I've owned but some of them were the Big Adv style bikes (KTM, YAM, BMW )
Luggage? I've not toured it yet but have fitted the H-G Alu rear rack to which I've bolted a Touratech rapidtrap topbox mount (hacked up from my old XT1200 Yam- it fractured a mount leg on that) . I fit my old Touratech zegapro topbox when I need to carry or pick up bits .

2017 CB1100RS (just gone but not forgotton), 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sport.
11-03-2017 03:38 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
no kidding....that's just a picture too. . . .misterprofessionality — 07:34 AM
It's fun to read all these comments... . . .peterbaron — 07:18 AM