Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
For Winter Riders
4 Paws Offline
High Mileage

MM 199 on BRP (Fancy Gap VA)
RE: For Winter Riders
Yep, our country provides free public education thru high school - all 12 grades!

You tube is full of crazy motorcycle clips, you can only laugh and wonder who thought it was a good idea to try that and why on earth post it!

Best thing I learned from my dog: “Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride". Dan D.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2017 07:10 PM by 4 Paws.)
11-07-2017 07:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(11-07-2017 06:53 PM)Stichill Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 04:43 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  I can’t decide whether to be full of admiration for a country that can engineer a clown like that, or petrified on the basis that this is a sample of the gene pool in a country that proclaims itself as a leader of the free world.

Thumbs down on this kind of snotty, broad-brush disparagement of an entire country. You've got your Bogans but you don't hear Americans portraying them as representative of your national character. I departed another global motorcycle forum due in no small part to Aussies and Brits interjecting continual cheap shots at the USA for no justifiable reason. This post would fit right in with the snarky culture over there. It's tiresome to those of us who just want to relax and talk about motorcycles.

I had no wish to be anything other than light hearted. I’m sorry if my post caused you or anyone else offence.

Is your reference to a ‘snarky culture’ directed to the motorcycle forum or Australia and the Untied Kingdom?
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2017 11:18 PM by Cormanus.)
11-07-2017 10:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
curlyjoe Offline
High Mileage

Massachusetts
No offen(s/c)e taken by me Cormanus. I think "leader of the free world status" is up for grabs. Perhaps the Aussies should take the initiative?

I think part of the youtube culture is to come up with a video that goes "viral". Those guys failed miserably with only 35K hits.

2013 CB1100 ABS
2008 ST1300
11-08-2017 04:24 AM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
(11-07-2017 10:38 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 06:53 PM)Stichill Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 04:43 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  I can’t decide whether to be full of admiration for a country that can engineer a clown like that, or petrified on the basis that this is a sample of the gene pool in a country that proclaims itself as a leader of the free world.

Thumbs down on this kind of snotty, broad-brush disparagement of an entire country. You've got your Bogans but you don't hear Americans portraying them as representative of your national character. I departed another global motorcycle forum due in no small part to Aussies and Brits interjecting continual cheap shots at the USA for no justifiable reason. This post would fit right in with the snarky culture over there. It's tiresome to those of us who just want to relax and talk about motorcycles.

I had no wish to be anything other than light hearted. I’m sorry if my post caused you or anyone else offence.

Is your reference to a ‘snarky culture’ directed to the motorcycle forum or Australia and the Untied Kingdom?
+ one !
11-08-2017 05:36 AM
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
(11-07-2017 10:38 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  I had no wish to be anything other than light hearted. I’m sorry if my post caused you or anyone else offence.

Thank you. I'm sorry that my reaction was so prickly. The 'snarky culture' was the forum. I totally enjoy the cultures of both Australia and the UK, and harbor no animosity toward either. For some reason, several AU/UK members of the other forum had a major distaste for all things US and missed no opportunity to gratuitously interject their disdain into any random forum discussion. I just got so weary of running across these comments that it made me intolerant of the behavior.

2012 Honda CBR250RA Candy Ruby Red/Silver
11-08-2017 06:17 AM
activedirt Offline
1st Service Completed

Virginia
(11-07-2017 01:56 PM)suhawk305 Wrote:  Best method to get that corrosive winter salt off of your motorcycle.

Not sure why but this didn't turn out as expected!

https://goo.gl/images/3zNvUP

2019 CB1000R
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2017 06:30 AM by activedirt.)
11-08-2017 06:29 AM
suhawk305 Offline
High Mileage

Orange County, NY
(11-08-2017 06:29 AM)activedirt Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 01:56 PM)suhawk305 Wrote:  Best method to get that corrosive winter salt off of your motorcycle.

Not sure why but this didn't turn out as expected!

Ditto activedirt. And funny link.
Most of my years of life is behind me now. Just trying to enjoy my remaining years without getting to darn serious. Lesson learned. Mike

2014 Honda CB1100 Standard
1967 Honda CB77 Superhawk
You don’t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2017 08:30 AM by The ferret.)
11-08-2017 08:28 AM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
Stichill, Cormanus, yours are well-written, respectful posts. Good dialogue.

I elected to quit another forum after discovering the moderator had edited -- and later deleted -- one of my posts because he disagreed with my point of view regarding a certain motorcycle. I was never given an opportunity to defend my perspective. It was his perogative to censor me but it made me question everything else posted there.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
11-08-2017 08:34 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
As far as this forum, bear in mind everyone reads different things into different posts. Emotions are hard to comprehend when written and not expressed face to face. What offends one, makes another laugh, or think. Fine line. The job of a moderator is to read a post, and try and determine if it's helpful, accurate, benign, hurtful, hateful, spiteful, detrimental, etc. was something said meant in jest, or as a mean jab? Was it accurate or inaccurate. The moderator must then make a decision whether to let it ride, modify it, or delete it. Was the moderation necessary? Was it in the best interest on not individual members, but in the interest of the forum as a whole. Sometimes we as moderators make the wrong decisions. We are human. Then again we are not being paid to do this, we do it because we believe it helps the forum.

I have never come across this British or Aussie anti-Americanism, although I do notice a very different humor from members of those two countries. Although I read Cormanus's post, it never resonated with me that it was anything malevolent. I have ridden with Cormanus at the first rally in North Carolina, drank tea with him, and must say I didn't feel any of it in person. He and Pterodactyl seemed quite pleased to be here in the states, visiting with forum members, and riding motorcycles in the beautiful mountains we have there. He has also happily hosted Americans who visit Australia.

Sometimes we as Americans are our own worst enemy, feeling superior but doing incredibly inferior things ( like in that video for example.. But often far worse) emboldened by the freedoms we enjoy. But we are not alone, there are stellar examples and miscreants in every subsect of humanity.

Hopefully we can all realize that we are here because of motorcycles and the CB 1100 in particular, and leave politics and religion and other polarizing subjects out of our posts. Think about what we say and how it could be interpreted by others.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
11-08-2017 09:30 AM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
(11-07-2017 01:56 PM)suhawk305 Wrote:  Not sure why but this didn't turn out as expected!

This last line made me smile. Smile

"Once covered, she’s all set for her beauty sleep. Give one last stroke to let her know she’ll be missed and pray for an early spring."

I often give my covered bike a pat on the seat as I pass it in the garage and dream of spring. One of those therapeutic things that keep the winter blues at bay.

2017 CB1100 EX
11-08-2017 10:30 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974