Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
No hands: bike pulls right.
activedirt Offline
1st Service Completed

Virginia
I do hope that this has yet to be discussed on this forum. I did search for it a couple of times but came up empty.

Presently I either own or have owned three (3) different bikes in the past 2+ years. All three bikes pull to the right when I let go of the handlebar as I'm slowing to eventually stop. The Africa Twin does it the most, and by far the most. The CB1100 and the Yamaha FZ07 are basically the same in this regard with perhaps the CB1100 exhibiting this quality the least. I've used Google to find the answer but am left with no firm answer. Please allow me to now turn to this fine and informative forum for a solution. My guess is that this is caused by:
1) The Gyroscopic effect of "Engine Brake". This would account for the Africa Twin exhibiting this tendency the most and the CB1100 the least.
2) A misaligned rear wheel.
3) The crown in middle of the road (I don't think this is the answer as this pull-to-the-right is very consistent).
In the Gyroscopic effect, a turning wheel moves as though the force was actually applied 90 degrees down stream from the real point of pressure. The term down stream means in the direction of the spin.

2019 CB1000R
11-11-2017 03:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ben70 Offline
Running Like a Top

NCAL
RE: No hands: bike pulls right.
I'll have to try that tomorrow and see if mine does it too.
It would be interesting to know if any of our friends from the land of Oz find the pull going to the left. Either road crown or corioilis force may be coming into play Wink

Ben

11-11-2017 05:36 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Pterodactyl recently had a problem similar to this and found his front forks were out of alignment.
11-11-2017 06:59 PM
Retsel Offline
High Mileage

Pacifica
There is a steep hill on my way home. I usually take it in neutral with hands off. At first it wabbled a bit. After correcting tire pressures it tracks perfectly.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
11-11-2017 07:03 PM
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
My guess is that it has something to do with the driveline being positioned on the left side.
11-11-2017 07:10 PM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
How worn is your front tire?

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
11-11-2017 10:00 PM
activedirt Offline
1st Service Completed

Virginia
(11-11-2017 10:00 PM)LongRanger Wrote:  How worn is your front tire?

The tires were on that bikes that I purchased new.

In reading these post I realized that I can put the FZ07 in neutral and give this a try to see if that makes any difference. The Africa Twin is a DCT so there is no way to put that bike into neutral while it is in motion. So sometime this week, weather permitting, I'll this again with the fz07 bike in gear and with it in neutral and determine the difference.

Thanks to those who responded.

2019 CB1000R
11-12-2017 12:47 PM
activedirt Offline
1st Service Completed

Virginia
(11-11-2017 03:59 PM)activedirt Wrote:  Presently I either own or have owned three (3) different bikes in the past 2+ years. All three bikes pull to the right when I let go of the handlebar as I'm slowing to eventually stop. . . . . .

. . . . My guess is that this is caused by:
1) The Gyroscopic effect of "Engine Brake". This would account for the Africa Twin exhibiting this tendency the most and the CB1100 the least.
. . . . .
In the Gyroscopic effect, a turning wheel moves as though the force was actually applied 90 degrees down stream from the real point of pressure. The term down stream means in the direction of the spin.

Now herein is a marvelous thing....

Today I take the Yamaha FZ-07 for a ride down some Virginia back roads to Rocky Mount Va. Route 116 then right onto Route 122 into Rocky Mount. The trip home is Route 635 then left onto Route 116.

This trip gives me several opportunities to test the tendency of this bike to pull to the right as I am slowing. This only happens when as I am slowing to stop and I let go of the handlebars, which also means, of course, I have let go of the throttle. I run several tests at roughly 31-35mph and the bike in third gear. It consistently has a slight pull to the right, which also means the front wheel is slightly turning to the left! I repeat the same test but this time I put the bike into neutral. When in neutral there is no pull to the right, none!

This bike, the Yamaha FZ-07, has a reasonable amount of engine brake. Not as much as an Africa Twin but more that the smooth CB1100. At this point I am of the opinion that this trait can be attributed to the Gyroscopic steering effects of the engine brake

2019 CB1000R
11-13-2017 04:17 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,750

Full Statistics

>