Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Last Blast turns 100k and More. About to join the “pre-loved”?
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
RE: Last Blast turns 100k and More. About to join the “pre-loved”?
(12-07-2017 04:23 AM)Pterodactyl Wrote:  Does the Italian need me or do the carers just want my money (about AUD25.000, ride away)?

Your advice is eagerly awaited.

Pterodactyl.

Welcome back, Thipdar.

Do you really need ANY encouragement to buy that beast?

I just reviewed the downloaded spec sheet. C'mon, you only live once.

A thoroughly modern motorcycle in every respect. What are you waiting for?

Sure, you may get a scolding from a few die-hard CB1100 fans but when the going gets tough, the tough get going. Go Italian.

12-10-2017 06:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
Yes, good specs and looks good, to me at least. But I'm not sure it could put up with some of the treatment that the CB has endured.

And by the way, NOT Thipdar. It's TERRORDACTYL.

Cheers

Don't ride safe. It's boring.
12-11-2017 04:59 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
So good to see your posts here again Ptero. Have a blessed Christmas season.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
12-11-2017 06:47 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(12-11-2017 04:59 AM)Pterodactyl Wrote:  Yes, good specs and looks good, to me at least. But I'm not sure it could put up with some of the treatment that the CB has endured.

Cheers

You're right there. You could likely get 200,000 km out of that bike without a hiccup. Then again, you're the one who was enticed by that Italian...

That's a lot of dough for a bike but then it looks like a lot of bike. Good luck either way.

I'm pretty sure you know this, but "thipdar" is Edgar Rice Burroughs description of a pterodactyl in his "Pellucidar" series, which includes "At the Earth's Core" among a few others. In his books, it's a very bad beast...but that fire-breather you depicted is a new species of reptilian bird. Looks dangerous.
12-11-2017 09:20 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
I may very well have a great deal more to say about this trip—it’s winter in the northern hemisphere and you folks up there probably need something to help you get off to sleep. There are also bits for which Pterodactyl wasn’t present.

Meanwhile, however, the least I can do is add a couple of photos to Pterodactyl’s post as requested.

He failed to mention in his post that the place we met—the Robertson Pie Shop—sits on top of Macquarie Pass, a wonderful ride up the side of Australia’s Great Dividing Range. While I had had a lousy ride up the hill the day before due to congestion from an accident, he reported having one of the best rides he had ever had.
Courtesy of Google and for Guth, the Robertson Pie Shop atop Macquarie Pass

Outside said Pie Shop. These bikes look so much better with their side covers painted the same colour as the tank

The next photo is included for Inhouse Bob. Somewhere later in the day on which Pterodactyl photographed Bob in the fog, we rode past this place to show him the view. As the conditions were identical or worse to earlier in the day we saw precisely nothing except the drops of rain on our visors. Had it been a better day, this is what we would have seen.

The next photo’s for Bob too: the Loaded Dog where he, Pterodactyl, Tezza and I spent the first night of the ‘rally’ and Bob was introduced to Vegemite. The following morning, Pterodactyl had an unfortunate ride in the dirt.

Pterodactyl’s description of the ride down the hill from Braidwood surpasses anything I could have written. It was hideous. Looking back, the omens were not good. It wasn’t a good morning and we could see the overcast off in the distance. It was also quite cool.

We took breakfast at the café in Braidwood from where we started March’s ill-fated ride into the dirt and to which we repaired afterwards. Outside the bitumen was soggy, a phenomenon I’ve only ever seen in extreme heat. The CB1100 was on a mighty angle by the time I took this. It required a bit of effort to get the stand out of the hole.

The obligatory Phillip Island shots.

Our place in Siberia wasn’t all that conducive to photography, but ...
Jack Miller leads Marquez

A lap later, Marquez leads Miller

Then there was AussieFlyer’s bike.

And Mick’s Suzuki.

AussieFlyer generously fed us fish and chips and beer while we waited to board the ferry. Thanks, mate.

In the next shot, Pterodactyl negotiates a Tasmanian corner in the Hellyer Gorge. I’ve included it because, about the time it was taken, a hoon on a 250 off road beast hurtled past us on what was clearly a regular afternoon blast. We were on our way down into the Gorge. About 10-15 minutes later, just before we got to the top of the other side of the Gorge, he passed us going like a bat out of hell the other way.

My friends Katie and Richard aboard their BMW

Grandpa out the back of the Honda dealer in Hobart

Atop the hill at Cabramurra

Last shot of the bikes together outside the Tarana Hotel

Lunch at Tarana
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2017 06:12 PM by Cormanus.)
12-11-2017 06:09 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Excellent contribution Cormanus! (And thanks for the image(s) of and from the Robertson Pie Shop, this thread feels so much more complete now.)

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
12-12-2017 12:08 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
that's how i was about my ducati sport c . . .m in sc — 01:20 PM
Yea M but there's two different factors . . .misterprofessionality — 01:14 PM
I'm a bit different, i went in for a 2nd . . .m in sc — 01:01 PM
I am liking the drama of this thread, Mr . . .GoldOxide — 12:50 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on bac . . .GoldOxide — 12:47 PM
Looking back at your offer, that is very . . .Gone in 60 — 11:59 AM
The same bike not even broken in with . . .m in sc — 11:53 AM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
Chilly but sunny day and another 87 mile . . .peterbaron — 11:51 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,518
» Latest member: JoshuaER
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,765

Full Statistics

>