Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Its too "purtie" to use
Macduff Offline
1st Service Completed

NE UK
Its too "purtie" to use
In general I like to have a bike I can use at anytime for any purpose (and in most weather). Over the years that bike has morphed from Jap IL4 sports bikes through Ducati sports bikes and more recently Adventure style bikes. My last one was a MV Turismo which I foolishly thought would bridge the sports bike utility gap given its design intent, unfortunately the worst of Italian engineering soon cut that dream short and it was consigned to the too flaky pile to be long term use prospect, which brought me to the CB1100RS a good looking UJM made to a form from when bikes were (mostly) one style (gross generalisation there) and only the number of cylinders and location of pegs bars tended to be the differentiators (gross generalisation continues) . And It does fulfil the utilitarian purpose with aplomb if I chose to use it as such especially since fitting a rear rack and topbox mount.

HOWEVER I've stumbled on a flaw in my plan... The fekking thing is just toooo purty (purdy?) to subject it to such use!! the rack/topbox makes it look ugly, usage in crap weather (esp now with salted roads) will give it ugly road acne I couldn't bear to subject it too.... which leaves it sitting in the garage looking shiney & Pretty. Hmmm have I just got new bike anxiety and will it pass.. Wink

3rd world problems. maybe I need a "Daryl" bike to cope with that kinda use.... that can be parked anywhere anytime...

2017 CB1100RS (just gone but not forgotton), 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sport.
12-08-2017 07:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pdedse Offline
Been There

Oregon
RE: Its too "purtie" to use
My "fix" for this dilema is to ride the KLR650 on the abismal, rainy days, 8mile RT commute to work, and leave the CB1100 for the 1 dry day a week we have in the Pacific Northwet. At least we don't season the streets with salt...but there was the one year we had 36 straight days of measurable rain.
12-08-2017 08:08 AM
nhawk7504 Offline
Running Like a Top

Boston
If I'm spending my hard earned money, I'm riding it. My friend has a GSXR that sits in his garage. I said to him, put it in mine. I'll ride it.
12-08-2017 08:17 AM
4 Paws Offline
High Mileage

MM 199 on BRP (Fancy Gap VA)
(12-08-2017 08:08 AM)pdedse Wrote:  My "fix" for this dilema is to ride the KLR650 on the abismal, rainy days, ....

Pretty good idea; good solid bike that'll "take a licking and keep on tickin."

Our CB1100 are perfectly adequate for just about any situation but as a beater bike I want something lighter and less prone to cosmetic heartbreak.

Best thing I learned from my dog: “Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride". Dan D.
12-08-2017 09:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bheezy27403 Offline
High Mileage

Triad NC
That's just what my CB is for! It's the "mule" of my bikes. Now, since I have started with a couple mods I have grown a little closer to it. I have caught myself taking the T-100 out in crappier weather on a couple of occasions. Gotta get my beater RD on the road.

Like you said, 1st world problems[/u]
12-08-2017 03:15 PM
Dude Offline
1st Service Completed

Austin, Tx
Ive already convinced myself that i will be keeping the bike forever and not selling. I actually prefer my bike with a little dirt and road grime lol, few scratches on the tank wont hurt.
12-08-2017 03:40 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM
The Cormanus Chronicles: Remembering Jake an...
I’m sure contemporary rollers have som . . .Cormanus — 02:53 PM
Todays weather
Correct, Gone.Cormanus — 02:46 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,750

Full Statistics

>