Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Time for new boots
Nemo Offline
High Mileage

Jacksonville, FL
RE: Time for new boots
I like my SIDI Fast Rain Boots. Not crazy tall, water "proof", walkable, don't look like I'm going racing. I even wear them to the office.

Good luck!

N

“It is easier for me to be forgiving of the stupid than of the evil."
EmptySea

#BLACKBIKESMATTER
12-21-2017 08:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
Get something with a tough toe and heel box and seriously good armor for malleolus (ankle bone) protection. Bones get brittle with age. Motorcycle boots for motorcycles. Alpinestars, Daytona, Sidi, or the like.
12-21-2017 10:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
(12-21-2017 10:32 AM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  Get something with a tough toe and heel box and seriously good armor for malleolus (ankle bone) protection. Bones get brittle with age. Motorcycle boots for motorcycles. Alpinestars, Daytona, Sidi, or the like.
I fully agree with motorcycle boots for riding a motorcycle , love my Daytona boots.
Horse riding , fishing and other sports have their own type of boots.
12-21-2017 11:31 AM
egleaves Offline
1st Service Completed

Sacramento, CA
(12-21-2017 10:32 AM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  Get something with a tough toe and heel box and seriously good armor for malleolus (ankle bone) protection. Bones get brittle with age. Motorcycle boots for motorcycles. Alpinestars, Daytona, Sidi, or the like.

I've never had proper riding boots, so I went to Cycle Gear to see what's available last night after work. What really caught my eye were the boots with what amounts to ankle armor.

The girl helping me navigate the footwear department told me of a incident where she was a passenger on a Harley when it went down and the bike wound up pinning her foot to the ground. Her boots had complete protection around the heel and ankle that saved her ankle/foot from being crushed.

Enough said. I'm getting ankle armor.

2014 CB1100 Standard
12-21-2017 11:32 AM
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
(12-21-2017 11:32 AM)egleaves Wrote:  

I've never had proper riding boots, so I went to Cycle Gear to see what's available last night after work. What really caught my eye were the boots with what amounts to ankle armor.

The girl helping me navigate the footwear department told me of a incident where she was a passenger on a Harley when it went down and the bike wound up pinning her foot to the ground. Her boots had complete protection around the heel and ankle that saved her ankle/foot from being crushed.

Enough said. I'm getting ankle armor.
Good move Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
You can get through life pretty well with banged up shoulders, elbows, wrists, etc., but your feet and ankles are weight bearing and if you've crushed them they can be pretty hard to live with unless you're very lucky in recovery.
Nothing is guaranteed of course, but I never wear anything but proper motorcycle boots for that reason.

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
12-21-2017 11:49 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
As long as the boot has the protection features mentioned in recent posts above, it doesn't matter if it's "motorcycle-specific" or not. There are many work boots that have protection at least as good as most motorcycle boots. Although, I will add that you're going to see a wider selection of boots with these protection features at a store/site that caters to motorcyclists.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
12-21-2017 01:35 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(12-21-2017 08:42 AM)W/R Wrote:  Thanks Ferret but I would warn anyone looking to use this style of boot for motorcycling as they offer no protection and are quite flimsily made.

They aren't suitable for military operations either, at least not the kind I did. I was issued 5.11 desert boots for my last tour to Afghanistan - I tried them on and promptly threw them in a closet and got a pair of desert Lowas. I could feel every rock through the bottoms.

They are quite comfy for normal desk type jobs in the Army but that's it.

They beat wearing gymmers, or those flimsy looking motorcycle specific boots that look like gymmers.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
12-21-2017 05:11 PM
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
My search is over!!

It took some time but I finally found the boots i was looking for:
https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/dainese-imola72-boots

It was more than I wanted to spend but they are literally the only boots I could find that met my criteria - full leather, side zip, armoured, with no "heel hook" (flat soled as possible) and no gor-tex liner.

Hey Big Sheep, sorry for hijacking your thread but I felt starting a new thread would be redundant. I hope you are having some success on your search for boots.
12-23-2017 08:47 AM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
Congrats on your find. My SO has a pair of Dianese Stella ladies boots and loves them. They're very nice.

I'm curious -- why did you not want Gore-Tex?

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
12-23-2017 09:12 AM
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
My feet sweat far too much in Gore-Tex boots and I have tried many different kinds over the years from top manufacturers always with the same result.

It is far better for me to just use rain over boots in inclement weather, I use Neos:
http://www.neosovershoescanada.com/non-i...urer-black
12-23-2017 10:41 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974