Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
NC Mountains Trip
Bheezy27403 Offline
High Mileage

Triad NC
NC Mountains Trip
Put fresh oil in last Sat. Put new Avons on Fri. Thought I should scrub them in so I headed up to a campground I frequent in the Pisgah National Forest. Rented a travel trailer and spent Monday, Tuesday and the bulk of Wednesday riding the area. Just under 600 miles. Hwy 221 from Linville falls to Blowing Rock should not be missed. Tons of good riding up there, BRP included. Was a bit chilly but I waited til about 10-1030 to head out so it wasn't too bad.
On my journey there I took Hwy 67 out of Winston to 268 out of Elkin to avoid 40. Enjoyable riding. As i got to the forest I had mapped a few great looking, curvy roads through the forest to the parkway. Turns out they were, for the most part, GRAVEL! Went over 2 mountains on single lane, unkempt roads. The CB didn't miss a beat. Was a little harrowing however.
All in all was a great time and I learned to appreciate the CB just a little more.
11-24-2017 08:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
RE: NC Mountains Trip
Sounds like a good weekend, Bheezy. What are the Avons and how did you find them? The CB is OK on gravel although I've found it hard work on occasions, particularly when there's lots of loose stuff on top of it.
11-24-2017 08:52 PM
Bheezy27403 Offline
High Mileage

Triad NC
Avon Roadriders. Stock sizes. I think use2b had them on his beautiful machine. He mentioned something about making the bike seem taller but I didn't notice that. It felt like adding an old friend to my bike. I am very used to them because that is all I will put on my Triumph. Handled spectacularly on the twisty bits.

The CB chewed up the gravel but it was no fun. I asked her to do more than I would normally but I wasn't going to back track as I was burning daylight and heat. If there was a problem out there I would be on my own in 25 degree temps for the evening. Not fun, but I got her through (or did she get me through?).

I forgot to mention the K&H seat I got from a forum member is a VAST!!!! improvement over the stocker. Only had to get off for fill ups.

Great trip. Already planning the next.
11-25-2017 07:52 AM
The A-man Offline
Running Like a Top

North Carolina
Highway 221 is basically my back yard. Let me know next time you head up here and maybe I can introduce you to some fun new routes.

2014 CB1100 DLX s/n 166
11-25-2017 07:58 AM
Bheezy27403 Offline
High Mileage

Triad NC
Amen A-man! I've been going up there for years camping but have always had the wife or some other tag-along so never took the bike. 221 has been on my list for awhile. I must have went up and down it 4 or 5 times this week. It didn't disappoint, very little traffic either.
I'll hit you up this spring when I get back up there.
Have you ever been to Dry County Pizza and Brewing in Spruce pine? I head that way just as an excuse to go there at least once a year.
11-25-2017 09:23 AM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
(11-25-2017 07:52 AM)Bheezy27403 Wrote:  Avon Roadriders. Stock sizes. I think use2b had them on his beautiful machine. I am very used to them because that is all I will put on my Triumph. Handled spectacularly on the twisty bits.

The CB chewed up the gravel but it was no fun. I asked her to do more than I would normally but I wasn't going to back track. Not fun, but I got her through (or did she get me through?).

It appears that Avon Roadriders are the only properly sized replacements available for my 2017 CB1100 EX. I see use2b has spoke wheels on his bike and you mentioned a Triumph. The Avon Roadriders can be used with tubes?

Good to hear they handle well, except in gravel. But a heavy road bike with skinny tires is not a very good moto-crosser. I learned that riding on sandy roads.

2017 CB1100 EX
11-25-2017 11:56 AM
Bheezy27403 Offline
High Mileage

Triad NC
Yes. The Bonneville has spokes therefore tubes.

They handled well in the gravel and they are not that skinny. The rear is rather meaty. I say handled well, this is of course relative to the fact of a porky bike doing 15-20 mph.
11-25-2017 12:11 PM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
(11-25-2017 12:11 PM)Bheezy27403 Wrote:  Yes. The Bonneville has spokes therefore tubes.

They handled well in the gravel and they are not that skinny. The rear is rather meaty. I say handled well, this is of course relative to the fact of a porky bike doing 15-20 mph.

Good to hear they are run with tubes. Excited

Porky is one of the reasons I call my bike Miss Piggy. During my sandy road experience she was quite a handful.

2017 CB1100 EX
11-25-2017 03:08 PM
The A-man Offline
Running Like a Top

North Carolina
Breezy, definitely look me up. I'm closer to Marion and Morganton than Spruce Pine, but this area is blessed with great biking roads. Perhaps we can meet up in Little Switzerland.

2014 CB1100 DLX s/n 166
11-25-2017 10:09 PM
Bheezy27403 Offline
High Mileage

Triad NC
Sounds good. I'll post a thread before my next visit to Pisgah.
11-26-2017 08:59 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
2024 East Coast Rally - Official Thread
Maybe I'll ride the 710 miles down on Sa . . .EmptySea — 12:05 PM
Folks: I just heard back from the Comfo . . .The A-man — 11:35 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
it is a great bike, no doubt. its legiti . . .m in sc — 11:32 AM
This Jacket Doesn't Exist...
In a thread a while back, I mentioned a . . .Gone in 60 — 11:30 AM
Good afternoon all, Well, the East . . .TooSlo — 09:15 AM
The OEM rack "How To" thread doesn't match t...
Reviving a necro thread, 'cause there' . . .TooSlo — 09:06 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
Tube tires are well used on the Africa T . . .GoldOxide — 08:27 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
I literally, yesterday, put on a T32. br . . .m in sc — 07:52 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,531
» Latest member: Tom the mod
» Forum threads: 15,990
» Forum posts: 330,295

Full Statistics