Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A LONG post
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
RE: A LONG post
I'm relatively new here and have very little experience in forums (I belong to only one other not motorsports related but I only use it as a buy and sell, I don't get involved in any discussions) but the zero drama is what keeps me here.

Like Goth, I have no interest in logging on to motorcycle forum and read endless political rants, I am here for the motorcycle talk that swirls (sometimes a little wider than others but always coming back) around the CB1100 and the common attributes that we share in both our riding characteristics and choice of bikes.

I have nothing to add about the "ebb and flow" of the forum but I do know if you guys all turned into a bunch of jerks and turned this place into a giant d**k measuring fest I would be so out of here. Luckily I don't foresee that happening.

Unless we all get Alzheimer at the same time. Then all bets are off.
12-01-2017 11:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nhawk7504 Offline
Running Like a Top

Boston
I like the CB talk, other bikes compared to and how politics and economics affects bikes or even the life of us in the forum. As long as things are IMHO opinions, I don't worry. We're burning a lot of fuel, which thankfully politics and economics have shifted to the USA being the number one supplier in the world, which then helps the CB and other big bikes and air cooled bikes in general. - Guth I also get being into the car for the time being. As I get older, out of sight, out of mind. I catch myself saying, "Wow, I have not thought about so and so or such and such in a while." The brain is selective. If we worked on farms we'd all be caught up in how it's running day to day. Luckily Ferret gets to ride all the time. I hope my body holds together that long.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2017 02:18 PM by nhawk7504.)
12-01-2017 02:17 PM
CTsCB Offline
Break-In Period

Western Australia
I have recently sold my CB1100, a decision that tortured me for a while - the main reason being no 6th gear/smallish fuel tank capacity. We never got any models imported after the '13, so no 6 speeds available downunder.
I replaced the CB with another naked bike I have always lusted after, a GSX1400 which I believe you never got in the States? It's a great bike and does everything well and seems to have a bit more 'character' than my Honda did, but darn I loved how smooth and refined my CB was. Every single time I got on it, it put a smile on my face and was just pure pleasure to ride - until I got to the 110km/h mark, then I searched for that elusive 6th gear because it became 'buzzy'. If Honda every brings the CB back in to Australia I will be the first in line to buy one.
But the point of my reply to this post, even though I no longer have the CB I still love reading all the posts on this forum. There are some great characters and storytellers on here that make ride reports feel like you are there with them. And the forum knowledge to fix faults, modify and troubleshoot problems is mind boggling.
So as long as you don't mind an 'outsider' reading/contributing I think I'll be sticking around for quite awhile.
Cheers all
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2017 07:08 PM by The ferret.)
12-01-2017 03:54 PM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
I never use the 6 gear , not even when on the Interstate.
Like to keep a few revs in reserve "in case"
12-01-2017 05:21 PM
obleo Offline
Running Like a Top

Bartlett Tennessee
Sorry Guth and Ferret, I didn't mean to degrade your forum. I personally love this forum and the format. I check in several times a day. I should have said I miss the usual number posts that I enjoy. This forum is the reason I bought the cb1100 in the first place. I would post more myself but am keyboard defective. [/align]
12-01-2017 08:04 PM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Obleo, there was no degradation, just an honest observation on your part which allows us to discuss the possible reasons why posts drop off. We have all noticed it.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
12-01-2017 08:19 PM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
I don't use 6th gear on the CB either.

Well, she is a 2013 so it's not there to begin with...... Smile

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
12-01-2017 09:45 PM
suhawk305 Offline
High Mileage

Orange County, NY
I would like to thank Guth for his dedication starting ang keeping this forum alive. I also appreciate our moderators ferret and Cormanus for keeping forum rookies like me in line. Where else can you find all the technical knowledge and common experience we have with our beautiful CB1100s in one place. I have learned so much reading the contents in this forum.
As a young man, I lusted for a CB750, but life events took over my priorities. I had my CB77 to ride, so that keep me (more or less) content for 44 years. Of course, Mother Nature and the laws of Physics came into play in recent years when both me and my Super hawk have gotten a little tired. After the 1970s, I lost any desire to buy another motorcycle when I saw plastic covered bikes and I didn’t have a need for a big cruiser. So my motorcycle resume is very limited when it comes to other motorcycles discussions.
When I first discovered Honda made a retro inline 4 and then saw one, it was love at first sight. It took me over a year for me to ask for my wife for permission to buy one. I was more nervous asking her for the CB than when I asked her to marry me almost 45 years ago. When she gave me approval, I had a CB1100 on order the next day, even though I knew very little about the bike.
Like Guth, this was the most exciting purchase I ever made, over any car, house or other man toys. Looking back, The questions I asked the dealer when I took possession of my new CB must have been pretty entertaining; “where is the kick starter? How do you turn the headlight on? What is the purpose of the bump in the exhaust pipe?.....what, since when have they been putting catalytic converters on motorcycles?” Now this shows I have little technical knowledge to contribute to this forum.
I do enjoy the monthly photo challenge thread. It gives me another reason to get out and go for a ride. Like November’s challenge with the flags. On that day, my wife made me get the Christmas decoration boxes out from the back corner of the garage. Of course, I had move me CB out of the way to get to the boxes. I got her set up to decorate and I did my part which involved me disappearing. What a better way to disappear is to fire up the CB and to go look for flags!
Enough from me...

2014 Honda CB1100 Standard
1967 Honda CB77 Superhawk
You don’t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2017 10:00 PM by suhawk305.)
12-01-2017 09:57 PM
use2b Offline
High Mileage

Perdido Key Florida
Wow , Fat post strain my ADD brain Big Grin

I also was taken back by ferret's post and also noticed i have experienced none of the problems he listed so my ownership has been a bit boring as it is Honda reliable at its best . did have a wheel unbalanced when i first got it but that was easily solved. Disappointed i can not figure out what luggage rack will fit it and Takashi could not help

The best part about growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old.
former owner of the baddest 2013 CB1100 ever ;] now a plush ride -2014 Goldwing Valkyrie GL1800C
12-01-2017 10:27 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(12-01-2017 08:04 PM)obleo Wrote:  Sorry Guth and Ferret, I didn't mean to degrade your forum. I personally love this forum and the format.
I'm afraid that you've misinterpreted my post. I certainly don't feel that you've degraded this forum in any way with your post — you simply brought me out of a bit of a slumber. I basically felt the need to contribute something towards the discussion after reading your post, which was pretty much spot on. As I've noted — these things happen, it's not a big deal. As long as the folks who get something out of this forum continue to stick around and enjoy this place for what it is then it will be here for them to enjoy (even during the slow times, lol).

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
12-01-2017 10:46 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,749

Full Statistics

>