Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
All stock vs modified
jodytek Offline
1st Service Completed

Tennessee
All stock vs modified
Recently got my 2014 STD, and it is great. I have been reading many post for ideas of modifications, both for ascetic performance enhancement. There are a lot of really cool options. But I have to wonder. Since the total amount of these bikes out there are relatively low in numbers. I am thinking that keeping the bike 100% stock will be in the best interest long term.

I have looked at all the restored cb's from the 70's that are out there for sale. Many of them have been painstakingly pieced back together, and command a pretty penny to play.

While I am loving my new ride, and plan to put some serious miles on it, I just can't help to think how many of these will be survivors in another 40 to 50 years. How many of them will be all original.

Personally, I hope to have great, great grandchild find this bike sitting in my barn, clean, covered and ready to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
12-01-2017 05:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: All stock vs modified
You can either leave them stock, or do the modifications you enjoy but save the old parts to return it to stock. If you want it to return to stock don't ever take a sawzall to it anywhere, and don't ever cut the wiring.

I've done about a dozen things to my bike to suit me (RLETs, different hand grips, luggage rack, 83 degree valve stems, battery tender plug, removed tank decals, Chip Beck lic plate mod, Michelin tires, small windshield and hand covers, chrome inst cups, painted headlight bucket, fork gaiters) and saved all the stock stuff in a box in the garage ...except for the tank decals which can be purchased thru Honda. Would take a couple of hours to put mine back to factory stock. In the meantime I will enjoy it with the mods I have made, which suit me.

as a collectible it will take many many years (30 or so) before that comes into play, and if you are going to put some serious miles on it (not sure what that means to you?) that will lower it's value as a collectible piece. Anything over 50,000 miles lowers the value substantially IMO.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2017 07:06 AM by The ferret.)
12-01-2017 07:06 AM
greekcb Offline
1st Service Completed

SOUTHSIDE! Chicago burbs
I wouldn't worry too much about mods. Like ferret said as long as you're not cutting things off and whatnot everything can be returned back easily as long as you have the stock parts. Ive done several things as well but nothing permanent.
12-01-2017 09:09 AM
jodytek Offline
1st Service Completed

Tennessee
All stock vs modified
Good point

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
12-01-2017 09:39 AM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Depending on your riding style you will probably add some accessories over time. They are all removable, and would be appreciated by a future buyers. That is quite evident when you watch the For Sale part of this Forum.

I added slip-on foam handle grip covers (Grip Puppies) because the Honda grips are hard and small in diameter. My throttle hand would cramp up in less than an hour.

I removed my mirror extenders before trading-in my CB500XA. Because I am tall, the mirror extenders allow me to see something other than my elbows.

Kept my Nelson-Rigg tank and tail bags for my CB1100 EX. The tank bag has a clear holder for my route maps on my day rides. It also holds a wet microfiber towel in a Ziploc bag to clean the bugs off my helmet. When I stop for breakfast, lunch, or coffee and a donut; it will expand to hold my helmet and gloves. Out of site, out of mind. It has magnetic straps to hold it to the tank. These allow me to flip the bag back when refueling.

The tail bag is handy for storing extra clothing, such as a rain suit and dry pair of gloves. I will probably buy a rear rack to take the tail bag off the seat.

Engine guards are a good idea as well. Nobody ever expects to drop their bike, but it happens. Usually at a stop or slow awkward turn in a parking lot.

2017 CB1100 EX
12-01-2017 09:40 AM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
By the time this bike might become truly collectible in the traditional sense I'd imagine the only new bike options available would be electric bikes. (Look for the iCycle coming soon, lol.). I've kept my CB mostly stock because I like it that way, but I'd say do what ever helps you enjoy it the most (and keep the stock parts just in case).

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
12-01-2017 10:18 AM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
It's possible these bikes will appreciate over time assuming the youngsters of today will aspire to own one in 30-40 years, but I doubt it, especially since the bikes aren't used on the racing circuit. Growing up in the 60's, folks wanted 30's hot rods and 40's Woody's. No longer. Now they want 60's and '70's muscle cars. Those old hot rods and Woodys are on the scrap heap of history.

From an investment standpoint, I wouldn't expect the CB to ever become desirable enough to collectors that it would appreciate more than inflation, if that. Likely, it will continue to depreciate and then settle at a value that's similar to other common bikes of the period.

Accessorize it as you wish, enjoy it for many thousands of miles, and view it as an enabler to happiness and adventure, not as a retirement plan. And yes, keep those OE parts just in case!

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2017 01:04 PM by LongRanger.)
12-01-2017 01:01 PM
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
(12-01-2017 05:33 AM)jodytek Wrote:  Recently got my 2014 STD, and it is great. I have been reading many post for ideas of modifications, both for ascetic performance enhancement. There are a lot of really cool options. But I have to wonder. Since the total amount of these bikes out there are relatively low in numbers. I am thinking that keeping the bike 100% stock will be in the best interest long term.
There is nothing to wonder about, you ~are~ the man.
The only two things I put on mine was the Honda rear carrier and engine guards, both a snap to remove. Defacing this machine, so easy on eyes, with all kinds of aftermarlet trinkets... (I better stop right here Smile
12-01-2017 01:15 PM
use2b Offline
High Mileage

Perdido Key Florida
I only see the last large air cooled 4 as being the desirable part ...
biggest mistake i see is chopping bikes up to make " cafe racers " that no one wants to buy .
just enjoy the bike as they are not really investments

The best part about growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old.
former owner of the baddest 2013 CB1100 ever ;] now a plush ride -2014 Goldwing Valkyrie GL1800C
12-01-2017 01:34 PM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
By the time my bike is a collectable I’ll be dead. And thats the truth.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
12-01-2017 01:39 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
CRISIS During the time that the Triumph . . .misterprofessionality — 11:25 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,755

Full Statistics