Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
which hand are you driving with?
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
RE: which hand are you driving with?
There's a pretty fundamental question about what one should and shouldn't do while driving. The mobile phone has brought matters to a head. They all (unless you can do it all with voice activation) require you to look elsewhere—whether at the screen or a keypad— and it's clearly a problem. That's why it's illegal pretty much everywhere.

Drinking hot tea or coffee; or water; or eating while driving may well be a problem. Less so in an automatic car, although I live in terror of being wiped out by some clown spilling a hot drink all over their crotch while driving. On that front, I can't quite understand why drinking water or tea or coffee is legal while alcohol is not. If logic applied, a traveller on the way home from the office would be fine unless your blood-alcohol content was over the limit.

Putting on makeup or painting your fingernails is not a brilliant idea either, although I see it from time to time.

Ferret's technique for taking photos theoretically requires little distraction as you have but the vaguest idea of what you're actually going to shoot. However, there is probably an argument that taking a hand off the bars or the wheel and thinking about the photo rather than the ride is a distraction. Certainly taking photos with anything other than a point-and-click camera is hazardous.

Fiddling with the radio or loading a playlist on the mp3 player is risky.

Should we be encouraging all drivers and riders to do only those things necessary to effective driving/riding?

As a postscript to this, I've been an enthusiastic practitioner of the Ferret technique of mobile photography. I'm thinking of giving it up for a couple of reasons. One is that, particularly while wearing heavier gloves, turning the darned thing on can be a distraction. Secondly, it's another thing I have to sort when it rains. Finally, it means I'm often thinking about taking a photo rather than enjoying the moment. That's a problem for all photographers anywhere, but it's something I find myself thinking about from time to time.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2018 08:15 AM by The ferret.)
01-02-2018 01:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
alprider Offline
High Mileage

CH
touching/writing/reading sms on a mobile or calling (mobile on ear) there is not realy the main problem of handling the car nooo your concentration/ thoughts/ attention are not by driving of the street/traffic....thats the absolut real danger reason..

tuner and radio...i dont know how long we have it still in cars/trucks already....was this ever a real safety theme ??
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2018 02:15 AM by alprider.)
01-02-2018 02:07 AM
Blockhead Offline
Running Like a Top

Pittsburgh
Yesterday morning in 3 degree temps while driving on a newly salted winding road, I saw a young man on a sport bike with his right hand on the throttle, looking down at his cell phone in his left hand...just crazy

2013 CB1100
2008 YZ 250
2008 TW200
01-02-2018 04:14 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
And ... there was a segment on a current affairs program on the TV earlier this evening that reminded me I forgot the dreaded GPS. A brilliant useful device, but lethal when drivers try to program it while on the move.
01-02-2018 04:18 AM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
When I take a pic with my lanyard cam while riding, I never even look at the camera (which would be a distraction). I just point it in the general direction and hit the shutter button several times, then drop it. Usually I'll get a good one out of several clicks.

One thing I don't do is use it when there is traffic in front of me. Anytime you have one hand off the bars, you cannot brake effectively. I'm the same way about "the wave". Lots of riders wave an me while riding in city traffic, but the most they'll get back from me is a head bob. You are virtually helpless to react if you're riding with one hand in traffic.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2018 04:18 PM by Flynrider.)
01-02-2018 04:18 PM
Cbgaz Offline
Break-In Period

England
Putting on makeup or painting your fingernails is not a brilliant idea either, although I see it from time to time.
[/quote]

I don’t care I’m going to carry on doing it. Excited
01-02-2018 04:40 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
which hand are you driving with?
ROFL
01-02-2018 06:34 PM
Mscb1100 Offline
Running Like a Top

Birmingham, AL
Reading all these post about taking photos and hands off the bars reminds me of the helmet mounted Nu Viz gps heads up display that has been released. It has a wireless button on handlebars for taking pictures or video clips of what you are looking at.

Looks fast sitting still
01-02-2018 06:43 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Shifting issue
Ah. Thank you. That makes sense. Need t . . .Cormanus — 09:18 PM
Shifting issue
Here is what my clutch basket looks li . . .pekingduck — 09:01 PM
Shifting issue
When bleeding a hydraulic clutch, I fou . . .MMC — 08:14 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
The flag is apparently from Costa Rica. . . .pdedse — 07:47 PM
Shifting issue
Here is what my clutch basket looks like . . .max — 07:03 PM
Todays weather
Yeah, I think Mother Nature bumped a con . . .Gone in 60 — 06:54 PM
Hanging up the helmet
What about a Grom? Or one of the other . . .GoldOxide — 06:20 PM
Hanging up the helmet
What about a Grom? Or one of the other m . . .Cormanus — 06:15 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,509