Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Front brake noise 2017 CB1100EX
thop Offline
Break-In Period

Sierra Vista Arizona
Front brake noise 2017 CB1100EX
I just need to add my comments about the noise the front brake makes at the last few feet when stopping, or with lite brake pressure going around a slow corner. I have this problem also and have tried several solutions. The bike has 5600 miles on it.

The things I've tried to include:
1. Coating the back of the brake pads with anti-squeal spray. (no change)
2. Changing the pads to EBC pads. (no change)
3. Installing new stock brake pads. (no change)
3. Scrubbing the front disc s with steel wool. (momentary change)

The only thing that helps is the steel wool, but this is only temporary. My 2013 CB1100 STD did not have this problem and the components appear to be the same Other than the squealing front brake, the motorcycle is perfect. Has anyone found and cause or solution?
12-10-2017 07:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
obleo Offline
Running Like a Top

Bartlett Tennessee
RE: Front brake noise 2017 CB1100EX
My 2013 std makes the same squealing noise, front brake only . Hope someone here has a fix.
12-10-2017 08:05 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
My rear brake squeals. It's had new pads and a good cleanup, but it persists. Dunno why.
12-10-2017 10:08 PM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
The front brakes on my 2017 CB1100 EX squeal just before stopping.
But they do work well.
The rear brake dragged and discoloured the disk.
Honda Canada approved having the disk and brakes pads changed.
Now the rear brake is mush and still drags.
I assume there is now air in the line.
Never had this problem with my 2013 CB500XA.

2017 CB1100 EX
12-10-2017 10:32 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
(12-10-2017 10:08 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  My rear brake squeals. It's had new pads and a good cleanup, but it persists. Dunno why.

Mine does too, on occasion. It's done this on and off since new. What I've found is that the amount of squeal seems to be related to how often the bike is ridden. If I'm riding the bike most every day, the squeal tends to go away. During periods when I only ride the bike about once a week, I notice that the squeal returns.

I suspect the reason for this is tiny spots of corrosion that are accumulating on the disc surface when the bike isn't being ridden. Ride the bike a lot, and the corrosion is scrubbed off by the pads and the squeal goes away.

Just a personal theory. I tend to ride one bike or the other most days of the week, so the brake squeal hasn't been a big issue for me.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
12-10-2017 11:08 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
That's an interesting thesis, Flynrider. I must pay attention next time I'm out there for a few days.
12-10-2017 11:47 PM
max Online
Road Warrior

Auckland New Zealand
(12-10-2017 10:32 PM)Nortoon Wrote:  The front brakes on my 2017 CB1100 EX squeal just before stopping.
But they do work well.
The rear brake dragged and discoloured the disk.
Honda Canada approved having the disk and brakes pads changed.
Now the rear brake is mush and still drags.
I assume there is now air in the line.
Never had this problem with my 2013 CB500XA.

As far as i understand the part that returns the caliper is the square o ring that seals the fluid, it deforms when the brake is applied, stretches whilst holding on to the caliper and returns to it's original shape once the pressure is released,thereby providing the small gap to free the disk, it may have been affected by the heat and may have to be replaced together with a good clean of the caliper and housing to ensure smooth operation.

Max
12-11-2017 01:53 AM
jtopiso Offline
Running Like a Top

Spain
[/quote]

As far as i understand the part that returns the caliper is the square o ring that seals the fluid, it deforms when the brake is applied, stretches whilst holding on to the caliper and returns to it's original shape once the pressure is released,thereby providing the small gap to free the disk, it may have been affected by the heat and may have to be replaced together with a good clean of the caliper and housing to ensure smooth operation.

Max
[/quote]

You are right. This is why it is important to clean the pistons "spotless" in the caliper before retracting them to fit new pads.

Also, if it is a floating caliper, the slider pin should be cleaned and greased.

All this will help the brakes not to drag.

Regarding the noise, it is usally due to dirt on the disc or pads surface. Use some brake cleaner and it should improve, but regular use of the bike will definetly help.
12-11-2017 02:19 AM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
Jtopiso, you are right, brake cleaner helps.

Thop, giving the brakes a good bedding-in may also help. How? Warm up the brakes with normal riding for some kilometres, or miles if you have some of those on hand. Then, from around 100kph, make a heavy braking effort to reduce speed to about 20kph. Immediately up to 100kph then heavy braking to 20kph. About 10 of these emergency type stops and the pads should be well and truly mated to the disks, and quite warm. If not successful at least you have practiced emergency stops. Don't try this with an eighteen wheeler right up your clacker. Don't forget this type of heavy braking needs rear brake to keep things aligned and the shiny side up.

Cheers, and good luck.

Don't ride safe. It's boring.
12-11-2017 05:23 AM
thop Offline
Break-In Period

Sierra Vista Arizona
Thanks guys. I appreciate your input. I have done all of these things but the problem persists, When I changed the pads I cleaned all of the components with brake cleaner thoroughly and greased the pins. Like the steel wool treatment, the sound returned after a few stops. I've also tried chamfering the edges of the original pads slightly to no avail.

The shop inadvertently ordered the wrong pads for me the first time (from the same parts page). They did not have the two holes for the pins so I suspect they were for a CB1100RS. It was interesting to note that they had ant-squeal metal shims attached to the back of them.

5600 miles and still counting (with new brake pads and a squeal).

I forgot to mention...my 2013 CB1100 STD had 21000 miles on it when I traded it in on the 2013 When I sold it I changed the rear pads, which were worn down pretty badly, and put new pads on the front, which had several thousand miles left on them. Even with putting new pads on the front with 21000 mile discs I had no squealing noise when stopping.

It appears the only front end difference between the two bikes is the new Showa front fork, and the of course the spoke rim. I doubt if they are causing the noise though. By comparison, my 2002 R1150GS BMW, which has 36000 miles on it, and has never made any noise.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2017 08:06 AM by thop.)
12-11-2017 07:54 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Milestone Thread (Take 2)
Go Django! Interesting it doesn’t sa . . .Django — 11:40 PM
Sundays with Cheryl
Alright Cheryl's back riding. Been waiti . . .The ferret — 06:23 PM
Sundays with Cheryl