Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cycle World: First Ride on the Z900RS
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
Cycle World: First Ride on the Z900RS
Review of Z900RS

The Z900R (that would be the Decepticon version) has no fueling issues at all; I just went for a ride today, it's absolute flawless. As far as "upgraded" brakes and suspension, probably not. They're different though. Radial-mount seems to be what people are looking for but offers no functional difference.

This fueling issue really surprises me because with a 10.8:1 compression ratio on the RS as compared to 11.8:1 on the R version, along with the heavier flywheel and lower power, I'd have thought just the opposite.

Of course it did take me some time to get used to the power band on the R, which pulls harder than my 30th Anniversary ZX-10R below 10,000 RPM. It could well be that this rider just does not have a smooth throttle hand and is not used to the kind of power band the 900 has, too.

Also let it be known there was a recall for frame inspection/reinforcement on the Z900R; apparently some riders are overloading the bike and bottoming the shock, which causes the bolt holes to elongate. Hardly any bikes have actually had this problem in actual practice (mine is perfectly fine) but it goes to show first year models can have their problems. I'll take mine in after the holidays for the reinforcement plates to be installed. I've got 3500 miles on mine and in all respects it's been very satisfying.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2017 12:05 AM by Ulvetanna.)
12-15-2017 11:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
RE: Cycle World: First Ride on the Z900RS
There is no denying that it is a beautiful bike and that I want one, then I go to the garage to visit the Blue Angel (my CB's name) in his sleeping place and realize that it isn't even a close competition.

Sorry Kawasaki.
12-16-2017 07:06 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Glad I have my CB 1100 DLX

Fueling sounds bad.

want to see a dyno chart on the new Z900RS and see if that 111 hp is at the crank or rear wheel. If at the crank you are talking under 100 hp at the rear wheel. Dyno chart for the "125 HP" Z900 shows 113.3hp@ 9700 rpm. Didn't see how much torque it had, and where, in that report either, so another reason to see the dyno chart.

https://i0.wp.com/ridermagazine.com/wp-c...mbined.jpg

" got a little springy if you hit anything other than smooth road in the turns. We didn’t adjust the damping on our short ride, but look forward to getting a test bike to experiment with suspension setting. That bouncy feeling paired with the overly aggressive throttle made it hard to ride aggressively and confidently, as it felt inconsistent and unpredictable."

Does not bode well, then again some who buy one, would say stock Japanese suspension is crap anyway and replace it with Traxxion or Ikons or something, and add a power commander or throttle tamer to sort out the fueling

Shame, sounds like a swing and a partial miss for Kawasaki, at least in this first year if the test bike was an common example

I don't understand how manufacturers can let bikes get out with poor fueling ie this bike, Yamaha FZ-09 , Yamaha 06 FZ-1 etc

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2017 08:34 AM by The ferret.)
12-16-2017 08:31 AM
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
He is not the only one to report the fuelling problem, I read it somewhere else too.
12-16-2017 09:41 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(12-16-2017 08:31 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Glad I have my CB 1100 DLX

Fueling sounds bad.

want to see a dyno chart on the new Z900RS and see if that 111 hp is at the crank or rear wheel. If at the crank you are talking under 100 hp at the rear wheel. Dyno chart for the "125 HP" Z900 shows 113.3hp@ 9700 rpm. Didn't see how much torque it had, and where, in that report either, so another reason to see the dyno chart.
110 HP at the crank so about 100 at the rear wheel. The 111 figure is PS or pfederstarke, which equals 109.4 HP. The engine is a real torque monster especially with the low gearing. Takes a light touch but I am surprised about complaints.
12-16-2017 10:06 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
But is he really $2,000 ahead? A 3 . . .misterprofessionality — 04:31 AM
But is he really $2,000 ahead? A 3 mod . . .m in sc — 03:32 AM