Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Worst weather you have ridden in
offroadfx4 Offline
High Mileage

Indiana
RE: Worst weather you have ridden in
My worst was returning back to Berea, KY this summer a couple of weeks after the rally. (Good roads, didn't get enough ;-) PLUS I wanted to ride the "Rattlesnake 192."

Almost there and got hit by a deluge of rain so bad, cars were pulling over to the side of the interstate with their flashers on.

I carried on the left lane to my destination only 10 miles away.

The girl at the hotel was nice enough to throw some of my wet items into their big commercial dryer!

2018 BMW K1600GT
2014 Honda CB1100 STD
1984 Kawasaki GPZ750
1978 Yamaha YZ125
1976 Honda CB750 (cost $1776 new)
1973 Honda CB350
1970 Honda 50 Mini Trail
01-01-2019 04:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
No day when it's really pouring is much fun, but my worst ride ever was with Pterodactyl from Braidwood in NSW to the coast when we encountered fog. Visibility was dreadful, cars were tailgating us down the winding hill, and my visor slowly but surely misted over so visibility got worse and worse to the point where I could see almost nothing. Plus, I didn't think it worthwhile to stop and put on my wets, so I was thoroughly soaked by the time we reached the bottom of the hill.

Fog or mist is particularly nasty because the reduced visibility means you can't ride fast enough to blow the tiny water droplets of the visor.

As I recall, it was sunny on the coast and, by later in the afternoon, I was probably complaining about the heat.
01-01-2019 04:48 PM
decarmine Offline
1st Service Completed

Lecanto, FL (75 miles north of Tampa)
Happened *many* years ago -- riding from Cleveland to Long Island on a CB450. It had started raining shortly after leaving Cleveland, and I had *no* rain gear. I got completely drenched from the fast-moving (west to east) storm but finally got ahead of it and managed to dry. Stopped for gas and the storm caught up to me. Well, I got drenched again, managed to get ahead of it, and dried again. Stopped for gas, storm caught up, got drenched, got ahead, got dry, stopped for gas, etc...

Actually got drenched and then dried five times before hitting New Jersey. Storm was so bad in Jersey -- they had eleven inches of rain that day -- that I never did dry from my *sixth* drenching of the day...

Some good did come from the trip, however. I got bronchitis from the repeated drenchings and even breathing was *extremely* painful. As I reached for a cigarette I suddenly realized what it was like when your lungs don't work! Never did light that cigarette, and haven't lit one since that day -- over forty years ago...
01-01-2019 06:48 PM
GoldOxide Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Southern Ontario, Canada
(01-01-2019 06:48 PM)decarmine Wrote:  Happened *many* years ago -- riding from Cleveland to Long Island on a CB450. It had started raining shortly after leaving Cleveland, and I had *no* rain gear. I got completely drenched from the fast-moving (west to east) storm but finally got ahead of it and managed to dry. Stopped for gas and the storm caught up to me. Well, I got drenched again, managed to get ahead of it, and dried again. Stopped for gas, storm caught up, got drenched, got ahead, got dry, stopped for gas, etc...

Actually got drenched and then dried five times before hitting New Jersey. Storm was so bad in Jersey -- they had eleven inches of rain that day -- that I never did dry from my *sixth* drenching of the day...

Some good did come from the trip, however. I got bronchitis from the repeated drenchings and even breathing was *extremely* painful. As I reached for a cigarette I suddenly realized what it was like when your lungs don't work! Never did light that cigarette, and haven't lit one since that day -- over forty years ago...

Congrats on the smoking. That is pretty significant. CB450 Thumbs Up

>>> Spring is an extension to the riding season. ¯\(ツ)/¯ <<<
01-01-2019 07:57 PM
kvdv Offline
1st Service Completed

U.S.
Not my story (luckily): I think this guy has us all beat hands down Smile
01-02-2019 02:46 PM
Django Offline
Road Warrior

Germany
(01-02-2019 02:46 PM)kvdv Wrote:  Not my story (luckily): I think this guy has us all beat hands down Smile

Well, he was an IBA member. May be, an IRON butt is not the best in lightning conditions. Cool

73 Django -- [url=http://www.ironbutt.com]IBA[/url] #59882 -- [url=https://djangotours.wordpress.com]Django Tours[/url] -- [url=http://1asw.de/~rsz/bilder/ES-I64/15-34-0832.jpg]Django on CB1100[/url]
This message was signaled with a flashlight into the end of a fiber.
01-02-2019 03:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Ouch!
01-02-2019 06:02 PM
GoldOxide Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Southern Ontario, Canada
(01-02-2019 03:02 PM)Django Wrote:  
(01-02-2019 02:46 PM)kvdv Wrote:  Not my story (luckily): I think this guy has us all beat hands down Smile

Well, he was an IBA member. May be, an IRON butt is not the best in lightning conditions. Cool

If it wasn't raining, he likely would have been missed (and assuming he was moving). Hmm, something to think about when enjoying a thunderstorm ride. Hardtop vehicles generally do not experience this issue.

>>> Spring is an extension to the riding season. ¯\(ツ)/¯ <<<
01-02-2019 09:03 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM