Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Don't Have One Yet . . .
cookiemech Offline
Running Like a Top

West Newton, Pennsylvania
Don't Have One Yet . . .
When I started riding in 1979, I thought the coolest bike anyone could own was a CB750 (a SOHC one), but I didn't have money for that, so I rode a 1971 CB450 for a few years and loved it. It was cherry red and chrome, in beautiful condition.

Well, I've been riding continuously since then, but nothing Honda built during the interim really interested me. Mostly I've had BMWs, and still do. I have two new Harleys and love riding them on nice days (poor weather still calls for BMWs).

I'm retired and down to six bikes from eight. A fellow I know seems really interested in buying my 2003 Moto Guzzi Aluminium, which is gorgeous, but which never really excited me. If he buys it, then I wouldn't be increasing my number of bikes by buying a 2017 CB1100, would I?

It's fairly ridiculous to have more than two or three bikes; I know that. My rationale for what I currently own is that I have a Harley for warm, sunny days, a Harley for long-distance rides (which I rarely do), an old BMW for rainy, warm days, an old BMW for cold weather (like winter, so I'm using it now), a KLR 650 in case I want to go down a gravel or dirt road, and a Moto Guzzi, uh, because it's weird and I liked the engine layout.

I've seen and sat on a new CB1100 at a local dealer. Geez, I like it. Money's not an issue; rationality is. I've never owned a four-cylinder bike and I'd like to try it. Looking on line a bit, it seems as though it's not well-supported for aftermarket items unless you look to Japan (and the stuff there is $$$). I'm 6'1" and 160 pounds (unless I've shrunk, which is possible) and though it felt comfortable sitting on it, I don't know how it would be to ride (test rides aren't generally available around here).

The CB1100 has to be the best-engineered and best-looking interpretation of an older bike I've ever seen.
12-23-2017 01:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
RE: Don't Have One Yet . . .
It's really quite a jewel. I've been very impressed with the engineering and build quality of my BMW's over the years, but the CB has a quality and elegance to it that the beemers can't match. I keep coming back to "jewel-like."

I'm down to 4 bikes from 7 previously. The surviving bikes survived for a reason, though the Ducati is on thin ice.

Oh, and I owned a SOHC CB750K0 and CB750F in the late 70's. The CB1100 brings me back to those old CB750's in a lot of ways, though it's dramatically superior in every way.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2017 03:53 PM by LongRanger.)
12-23-2017 03:49 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
G’day and welcome to the forum, cookiemech.

Do it! You know you want to. Are you a big fan of modifying bikes? If so, I guess the number of options is limited; if, however, you want a different seat and a windscreen and some luggage—but why would you bother; you’ve a Harley for touring—there are likely enough options. I haven’t heard people claim the price of bits and pieces from Samurider in Japan is unreasonable and very one says the service is superb.

Good luck.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2017 07:03 PM by Cormanus.)
12-23-2017 07:02 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Holy cow, if you've never owned a four-cylinder bike over the entire length of time that you've been riding then that would seem to be rationale enough to justify the purchase. Good luck with your decision!

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
12-23-2017 07:17 PM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Hello Howdy and welcome to the forum

Had 6 bikes down to 2. Keeping up with 6 was insane. ST1300 for heavy duty touring and foul weather. CB1100 for light duty touring and whatever weather hits me lol

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
12-23-2017 08:37 PM
3rdbike Offline
1st Service Completed

Solomon, KS
Welcome to the forum Cookiemech, from down here in Albuquerque, NM!

I can only echo everything said in this thread about the CB1100. I also started this forum "without", but I was poised to buy one. I found a lot of answers to my questions right here. At any rate, I've had the bike 2 weeks now, absolutely love it. It's everything I had expected and hoped for.

Life is short. You'll find the CB to be a great counterpart to the others in your fleet. Buy it. I really don't know how you could be disappointed.

It's all practice.....

'17 CB1100 EX
'15 VFR 800
'97 R1100RT
12-23-2017 11:16 PM
Cbgaz Offline
Break-In Period

England
I love the characteristics of a big inline four. My last bike was a gsx 1400 amazing bike but slightly to big and heavy so the cb is perfect. If you have never owned and ridden a four, the power is so linier, you don’t know what your missing.
12-24-2017 02:37 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
I don't know about that... they're easy . . .Gone in 60 — 03:50 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Haha ferret....it's funny how some thing . . .misterprofessionality — 03:41 PM
Todays weather