Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Switching handlebars
ambbmw Offline
Break-In Period

tn
RE: Switching handlebars
What are going to so with the stock handlebars? I'd be interested with the bar in weights.
12-27-2017 04:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3rdbike Offline
1st Service Completed

Solomon, KS
Nice warm day here, so the garage was tolerable. Got started on the h/b change. Everything went smoothly, so I'll let some pix do the talking:

a plumb bob from the bar end to show the amount of pull back of stock bar.

left side controls can be split and directly removed from the bar, instead of sliding them off the end. Controls hung in place, no flopping or banging around during switch. Right side controls loose and ready to have h/b pulled out from them vs. sliding them off the end of the bar.

Look Ma, no bars!

pic to show difference in bend. Stock bar on top, Flanders on bottom. Not a fair representation tho. Stock bar tilts back quite a bit to bring grips down, Flanders bar will tip forward quite a bit to bring grips up. This will let me lean into the bars without losing much for height.

Hope to finish tomorrow. Hafta drill holes for the locating pin in the controls. I'm scheming on using the stock bar ends and my favorite CRG bar end mirror on the left, and a throttle lock mechanism on the right.

It's all practice.....

'17 CB1100 EX
'15 VFR 800
'97 R1100RT
12-28-2017 07:27 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Good start...measure twice, drill once lol

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
12-28-2017 08:38 PM
3rdbike Offline
1st Service Completed

Solomon, KS
Finally finished the switch tonite, but too late for a test/shakedown run. Everything turned out the way I wanted, the cables and hoses fit just fine with the new bars, no stretching or rerouting needed. I chose not to use Honda's clever internal vibration damper, but still used the stock bar ends. The Flanders bar is made of good stuff, quite heavy by itself, so we'll see how it is on the road. If my next post is really blurry, you'll know something is wrong! Now for some pix:

Please refer to previous pic of gas tank and plumb bob. The bar change moved the grips forward a good three inches.

Want to cut a perfectly round hole in the end of a grip? Make this tool from a piece of pipe of a diameter that is a snug fit inside the grip. Use a file the sharpen the edge of the pipe a little. Insert into grip and hammer it through. Viola!

This is my mod to use the stock bar ends w/o the rest of the vibration damper system.

That 'step-down' in diameter on the bar end will not fit into the bar. I made use of the space for a bar-end CRG mirror on the left, and my "50cent cruise control" on the right which uses O-rings to create enough friction to hold the throttle open but not so much that I can't turn the throttle easily. Again, more Harley habit.

The finished product from the saddle. Bar is narrow at the center, just a 1/2" to spare at the clamps.

left side and bar end mirror.

front view

from the side. This shows the forward tip of the bar the best, and the drop at the grips. May not be everyone's cup of tea, but my wrists are happy!!

It's all practice.....

'17 CB1100 EX
'15 VFR 800
'97 R1100RT
12-31-2017 11:21 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Cool. That's certainly a different look. As long as you are happy. Here's hoping the test ride and subsequent rides prove you made the right choice.

Reminds me a lot of Brit bikes late 60's early 70's

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2018 07:13 AM by The ferret.)
01-01-2018 07:02 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
It is a different look. I'll be interested to hear how you find it. But, if it solves your discomfort, it will be well worth it.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2018 03:00 PM by Cormanus.)
01-01-2018 03:00 PM
3rdbike Offline
1st Service Completed

Solomon, KS
A short test ride today was very satisfying. I had 'nailed' the positioning of the bar, levers, switch housings and mirror during assembly. Now the CB feels like my bike. I have my ol' Guzzi T3 set up with the same bars which work very well for me, so I was confident in my choice of the same bar for the CB. Yes Ferret, this bar was popular on the Brit bikes for decades. The 'bend' has been around for a long time.
It puts me in that classic 'European' riding position. The CB's pegs are positioned perfectly under me, I ride on the balls of my feet (for corner clearance) and with this bar, I lean forward into the wind. It's a balanced riding position: weight distributed between feet, butt, arms and chest and the wind. Wind noise in the helmet is less. I can crouch down out of strong winds comfortably with the grips still out ahead of me. Because of the drop and angle, I sometimes think of this bar as 'tall' clip-ons.
I've ridden many a long mile on my ol' T3 with my brother-in-law, he rides a Harley dresser, and can't understand how I can stand to ride a motorcycle with just a "banana seat" and no windshield! Undecided

Oh, I nearly forgot....again! I was half way into my test ride today before I remembered to check for vibration in the bar/grips. There wasn't any. I think the set-up will be fine. But then I used to ride a 441 Victor, and a Sportster.

No "skinny" posts from me, Ferret!

It's all practice.....

'17 CB1100 EX
'15 VFR 800
'97 R1100RT
01-01-2018 05:54 PM
PowerDubs Offline
Road Warrior

NWNJ
(01-01-2018 07:02 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Reminds me a lot of Brit bikes late 60's early 70's

Just saw the picture of the bars installed. First thought was looks like an old Schwinn bicycle. Big Grin

104whp / 75wtq ... for now.
04-26-2018 06:38 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
I am grateful for a cage that keeps me w . . .GoldOxide — 06:30 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
:rofl:The ferret — 06:04 PM