Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SV650...Whaddya Think?
glenridgerich Offline
1st Service Completed

New Jersey
SV650...Whaddya Think?
Alright fellers...If I can't trust your opinions, who's can I trust? Although I love my CB, I've owned it now for 2.5 years and I'm getting the itch for something new. While I have no complaints on my CB l, perhaps the minor gripe I've got is that it feels a bit cruiserish to me. I think I'd like something a bit more nimble and sure footed in corners. As such, I'm thinkin mid-sized. Of the latest grouping (Honda CB650F, Yamaha FZ7 & XSR700, Suzuki SV650) I gotta tell ya, while it seems like the boring unpopular choice, I like the SV! Here's my rationale, V-Twin, gear indicater, easy to install a slip on. None of the others can boast these advantages in my opinion. Should make the move? Will I regret it? Or, will I be happy? Give it me straight! Oh, and Merry Christmas gentleman.
12-25-2017 04:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
RE: SV650...Whaddya Think?
Haven't ridden the reintroduced SV, but I did own two first-gen carbureted SV's in the early 2000's (a standard, and then an "S"). Lovely, torquey engine that loves to rev, nice gearbox, lightweight and agile, non-adjustable suspension but it worked fine anyway, good brakes, bulletproof bike. Great bike for day rides / canyons / commuting / track days / small riders. Probably not the best bike for big riders or long rides, though my girlfriend completed two SS1000's on my S without a complaint. She saw an indicated 130 mph on the speedo, so it's not a slow bike, but it's not a GSXR either. Sold the bike when I moved to Colorado -- it wasn't happy at 12,000'.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
12-25-2017 05:09 PM
CTsCB Offline
Break-In Period

Western Australia
My wife has the 2016 SV650 - here in Oz it is the detuned version (or LAMS model - Learner Approved) and I have to say I love that bike - it's one of those bikes you can give it a handful without fear of it ripping your arms off, has great brakes, handles really well and will cruise comfortably all day at 120km/h. Oh and that great Twin sound........
I don't think you'd regret getting one, I smile every time I get a chance to ride it!
12-25-2017 07:28 PM
hb9400 Offline
Running Like a Top

Marietta ga
Having both the CB1100 and a VStrom 650 I can say the Suzuki 650 v-twin is a great engine and works well in the VStrom platform. If you find the SV650 more attractive to you then go for it but absolutely demo it before you buy. I've owned a few bikes that I just thought I liked from the specs and visuals of the bike only to find that riding them they just didn't work for me.

The ferret
12-25-2017 07:48 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(12-25-2017 04:13 PM)glenridgerich Wrote:  Alright fellers...If I can't trust your opinions, who's can I trust? Although I love my CB, I've owned it now for 2.5 years and I'm getting the itch for something new. While I have no complaints on my CB l, perhaps the minor gripe I've got is that it feels a bit cruiserish to me. I think I'd like something a bit more nimble and sure footed in corners. As such, I'm thinkin mid-sized. Of the latest grouping (Honda CB650F, Yamaha FZ7 & XSR700, Suzuki SV650) I gotta tell ya, while it seems like the boring unpopular choice, I like the SV! Here's my rationale, V-Twin, gear indicater, easy to install a slip on. None of the others can boast these advantages in my opinion. Should make the move? Will I regret it? Or, will I be happy? Give it me straight! Oh, and Merry Christmas gentleman.
I own a 2017 SV650. When it was first announced I thought it looked great, all the best features of the Honda Hawk GT but twice the power. I was not disappointed.

It has the same very nimble feel of the '89 Hawk GT 647, but much better brakes. Plenty of grunt, really. Very tractable power band, peaks at about 70 HP at the rear wheel. So quite fast for its class. Lots of cornering clearance, good brakes, especially the rear. Really cool engine, the L-twin is nice. I guess there's a couple thousand miles on it now, it just gets better.

The SV is a much more substantial motorcycle than the Z650 or FZ-07, it's roomier, with more torque and power, the vibes are minimal, it makes a good all-day bike if you like to explore. Quick turning but not nervous.

Cannot think of any downside.

I also own a Z650, it's a great bike but 10 less HP, smaller, lighter. For track days or really tight carving the Z650 is going to be better for sure, superb front brakes, carves like a laser but very stable mid corner, tractable engine, revs and shifts like a real racebike. But the SV is the better overall choice.

I looked at the FZ-07 several times and just did not like the bike. It's very small, has very soft suspension, and is reported to turn very quickly but with a nervous feel mid corner. You see more of those around my area than the SV or Z, but the Z's are also showing up in good numbers. The SV actually has pretty good forks, I don't think I'll have to do anything to them. The shock is not bad either but I think a Nitron will have to be a future upgrade.

Oh yeah, boring it is NOT. That bike rails. Will outrun a T120 Bonneville all day long.
(This post was last modified: 12-25-2017 08:47 PM by Ulvetanna.)
12-25-2017 08:42 PM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Can't speak to the SV directly but my wife is on her second DL 650. That Suzuki L twin is a delight, the little engine that could. Cruise all day at 70 without breaking a sweat. Ridden conservatively delivers MPG that would rival some 250cc bikes. The motor alone makes the SV a great choice IMO.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
12-26-2017 07:51 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I've ridden the FZ-07 and SV650 ( multiple times) and prefer the SV650. Spunky little bike. To me the FZ-07 vibrates too much, but others say they don't feel the vibes.

Then again, I'd bet the CB650F is a great bike.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
12-26-2017 07:10 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
I do like everything I've read about the CB650F, but I can't get past those tank appendages that they stick on the bike — ugh. If I were going to pick amongst that group of bikes, I'd probably pick the SV.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
12-26-2017 08:50 PM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
SV650...Whaddya Think?
Don’t look into this class of bike without trying the Triumph Street Triple, particularly in its new 765cc form. That motor is as good as they get, in a spunky, light, great handling package. Just sublime. That being said, the SV is a great all around machine. The new retro version (they’re using that term liberally these days) with the cowl and a few other bits looks cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
12-30-2017 01:01 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM
The Cormanus Chronicles: Remembering Jake an...
I’m sure contemporary rollers have som . . .Cormanus — 02:53 PM
Todays weather
Correct, Gone.Cormanus — 02:46 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,750

Full Statistics

>