Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
75,000 mile service
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
RE: 75,000 mile service
(01-05-2018 08:59 PM)ohiorider Wrote:  I've generally done most of my routine maintenance on my old airhead BMWs and Moto Guzzis. And on a Kaw W650 ....... and a 2003 Bonneville. And others. Matter of fact, on all of my previous bikes.

However, there is just this certain something about checking the CB1100 valve clearance that makes me think " ....... off to a good dealer ...... ." Much less removing cams to get to the shim under bucket adjusters.

Just looks like way too much in between me and the valves. I know my personal limits.

Bob
If you don't mind paying a dealer, by all means, if you trust them.

On the other hand, if you've gotten other bikes apart to the point of being able to check the clearances, figure maybe four more hours to remove the cams and replace them. I just use four hours to account for a first-time effort. Two is more like it.

You do need the fancy little tool to lock the tensioner in place and I think that set me back about $90, but if the dealer is $800, easy to do that math.

Just getting to the valves is somewhat more difficult than any bike I think I've ever done. It's a real puzzle, and easing that camshaft cover out was an interesting exercise. Had to be done "just so." But it's nothing that a fairly patient mechanic couldn't do.

Took me eight hours to get my bike stripped down, inspected, and reassembled.

Also, keep in mind that your bike will likely not have any valves out of spec.

I guess the romantic view of things is that checking valves is getting to know your machine a lot better. There all kinds of things you need to disconnect and keep track of, and redo them exactly the right way. Just removing the fuel tank is a special procedure. But very "do-able."
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2018 04:23 PM by Ulvetanna.)
01-06-2018 04:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
adventureAF Offline
Break-In Period

Virginia
75,000 mile service
As a 2014 owner it makes me happy to see a post about a CB1100 with over 75k on the clock!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
01-06-2018 06:49 PM
ohiorider Offline
Running Like a Top

NE Ohio
RE: 75,000 mile service
(01-06-2018 04:22 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  
(01-05-2018 08:59 PM)ohiorider Wrote:  I've generally done most of my routine maintenance on my old airhead BMWs and Moto Guzzis. And on a Kaw W650 ....... and a 2003 Bonneville. And others. Matter of fact, on all of my previous bikes.

However, there is just this certain something about checking the CB1100 valve clearance that makes me think " ....... off to a good dealer ...... ." Much less removing cams to get to the shim under bucket adjusters.

Just looks like way too much in between me and the valves. I know my personal limits.

Bob
If you don't mind paying a dealer, by all means, if you trust them.

On the other hand, if you've gotten other bikes apart to the point of being able to check the clearances, figure maybe four more hours to remove the cams and replace them. I just use four hours to account for a first-time effort. Two is more like it.

You do need the fancy little tool to lock the tensioner in place and I think that set me back about $90, but if the dealer is $800, easy to do that math.

Just getting to the valves is somewhat more difficult than any bike I think I've ever done. It's a real puzzle, and easing that camshaft cover out was an interesting exercise. Had to be done "just so." But it's nothing that a fairly patient mechanic couldn't do.

Took me eight hours to get my bike stripped down, inspected, and reassembled.

Also, keep in mind that your bike will likely not have any valves out of spec.

I guess the romantic view of things is that checking valves is getting to know your machine a lot better. There all kinds of things you need to disconnect and keep track of, and redo them exactly the right way. Just removing the fuel tank is a special procedure. But very "do-able."
Ulvetanna, thanks for the thoughtful response.

Bob

1991 BMW R100GS
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2016 Triumph T120
01-07-2018 09:10 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,752

Full Statistics

>