Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
In Two Minds
bikenut65 Offline
Break-In Period

Florida, USA
In Two Minds
Hi guys, happy new year!
I have been a member since 2013 but never bought a CB1100 so I do not know what I have missed.
I bought a Triumph Bonneville T100 Black and rode that for a few years and sold it about a year ago. I did love this bike but had to sell it due to other financial obligations.
I currently ride a 2014 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom and love the bike. I am not planning to get rid of it but I am longing for a classic style bike.
I currently considering buying a 2016 Triumph Scrambler (old stock for $6999) or a 2014 (old Stock) CB1100 STD for $6999. I rode the Honda and must say I love how it feels and performs. I have not rode the Triumph scrambler but I assume it would be similar (not exactly the same) to the T100. The closest Triumph dealership is 150 miles away and the Honda dealership is 10 miles away.
I do own a 1965 Triumph TR6SR and a 1972 BMW R60/5 as well.
Any opinions, insights and thoughts will be appreciated to help in the decision making process!
01-01-2018 08:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: In Two Minds
Hi bike nut and welcome to the forum. Lots of bike nuts here. Been a member for over 4 years and first post huh? Cmon you can do better than that.

Triumph manes a good bike. Lots of us here have owned them. The new 1200's are much better bikes than the 790s and 865's in my opinion. The Scrambler is cool. The one I sat on had an absolute board of a seat, but that's easily fixable I would think, and IMO the pipes come up on the wrong side but heh it is what it is.

My younger brother has a T120 in Cranberry and silver, beautiful bike. I have ridden it many times. Runs good, but every time I climb off it onto my CB I feel like I'm home. The CB is a great motorcycle.

Which ever you choose you can't go wrong and you are always welcome here.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
01-01-2018 08:43 AM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
As you already have a vintage Triumph and BMW, no need for another Triumph. Completely different feel on the CB1100 because of the smooth and strong in-line 4-cylinder engine. I am always amused when I look down at highway speeds and see mine quietly loafing along at 3000 RPM.

2017 CB1100 EX
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2018 09:02 AM by Nortoon.)
01-01-2018 09:02 AM
cookiemech Offline
Running Like a Top

West Newton, Pennsylvania
Oh, you KNOW what you must do . . . Buy the Honda! Only ten miles away . . . easy to pop over there for bits you might need or want . . .

I am open to obvious criticism here, as I do not yet own one, but I'm pretty sure that I'll pick up a 2017 EX soon. Just need to see if someone wants to buy my 2003 Moto Guzzi Aluminium . . . I want to keep the bike count at six or fewer!
01-01-2018 09:44 AM
tate Offline
1st Service Completed

north mississippi
I purchased a new 2014 CB1100 about a week ago still waiting on it too be delivered to my house getting very anxious waiting on it hahahaha so far Dream machines of Texas has been a pleasure to deal with those guys are very helpful and friendly unlike the dealership here in my home town.
01-01-2018 09:51 AM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
It's the air-cooled Scrambler, correct? Tough choice, but the CB is a class above that bike in most respects. Doesn't make it 'better,' as for how I use it, I enjoy my '06 Bonnie for slow rides just as much as the CB. But the CB is much more substantial and well- finished, and at $7K, that's a shed load of bike.

But these are emotional as much as practical decisions, so the real deal is to ride them, look at them, and feel which one tugs your strings the most. Then buy it and don't look back. Welcome!

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
01-01-2018 09:51 AM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(01-01-2018 09:51 AM)Capo Wrote:  But these are emotional as much as practical decisions, so the real deal is to ride them, look at them, and feel which one tugs your strings the most. Then buy it and don't look back. Welcome!

Very well stated (and as it should be when it comes to purchasing a motorcycle). Best of luck to you bikenut65 and welcome to the forum!

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
01-01-2018 09:59 AM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Time to use the new word I learned here.
Visceral: Relating to deep inward feelings rather than to the intellect.

Having owned a dozen motorcycles during my 27 years of riding, I find that certain bikes are remembered more fondly than others. My Goldwing was certainly the most comfortable motorcycle I have ever owned. The 1972 Kawasaki H2 Mach IV the fastest. The 1971 Yamaha R5 the most nimble. But if I was only allowed to chose one, it would be one of my 1966 BSA Lightning. The feel of the motor, exhaust note of the mufflers, classic British motorcycle look, cushy seat and comfortable riding position. Although it was only a 48 horsepower twin with a 4 speed gearbox, I was a thoroughly enjoyable motorcycle to ride.

But that choice is made purely on half a century old nostalgic memories. As I have often said. "Old motorcycles are like old girlfriends. You often wonder why you gave them up, until you meet them again. And then you say to yourself, now I remember."

2017 CB1100 EX
01-01-2018 10:27 AM
bikenut65 Offline
Break-In Period

Florida, USA
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. Where I was 50/50 (maybe leaning more 60/40) to CB1100 I now have moved to 90/10.
I agree with Nortoon and Capo about the feel and emotion when it comes to these matters. The test ride on the CB1100 did put a big smile on my face and it felt right!
For me this is also about the money as I do not want to go and spend another $12k+ but at this price ($7k) it is a lot of bike I get.
Cookiemech, yes 10 miles away also makes lots of sense.
Tato, I hope they deliver your bike soon. Enjoy!
The Ferret, yep we are all bike nuts. When I get my CB1100, I will be more on this forum
Thanks again
01-01-2018 01:39 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
G'day and welcome to the forum, bikenut65. I can't add to my colleagues' wisdom on the matter of choosing a motorcycle. I would say, though, that, even if you don't get the CB1100, you will be most welcome here. We like people who like bikes and most of us like to hear about other bikes too.

Good luck.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2018 02:33 PM by Cormanus.)
01-01-2018 02:32 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM
The Cormanus Chronicles: Remembering Jake an...
I’m sure contemporary rollers have som . . .Cormanus — 02:53 PM
Todays weather
Correct, Gone.Cormanus — 02:46 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,750

Full Statistics

>