Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dryspec D20 Soft Saddlebags
cookiemech Offline
Running Like a Top

West Newton, Pennsylvania
Dryspec D20 Soft Saddlebags
I'm making a list of items I "need" for the 2017 EX I'm thinking of buying, and one really essential one (after a tankbag) is a set of soft saddlebags. Were this my only motorcycle, I'd investigate hard bags, but since it's not, I prefer the look of a naked bike most of the time.

I did a couple of searches and see positive opinions on the Tourmaster Select (these seem small) and the Cortech Super 2.0 (larger); both of these apparently fit without turn signal relocation (I'm not going to do that for appearance reasons).

Has anyone fitted the Dryspec D20 bags from Twisted Throttle (they show these as applicable to the CB1100)? I like the waterproofness and the appearance (for my purposes).

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/dryspec-d...rey-orange
01-02-2018 05:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
RE: Dryspec D20 Soft Saddlebags
I have the Cortech 2.0 and they fit well without having to relocate the indicators , just compare the dimensions between the two.
If too long it will compromise your room on your seat.
01-02-2018 07:59 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
My wife and I each have the Dryspec duffle bag, but not the saddlebags. We've had them for 5 years. They are still watertight and the straps and related clips show no signs of wear. Since the saddle bags are the same material and use the same closure method and mounting hardware, I would think that they would work similarly as well.

I will say that the opening on the roll-top is not as wide as I would have liked it. I do not think that is an issue on the saddlebags.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
01-02-2018 08:56 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
I've a couple of SW-Motech duffle bags that I've had for some years and they are fantastic. Just strap one to the seat.
01-02-2018 02:10 PM
tuareg Offline
1st Service Completed

Germany
This might be drifting off the subject a bit, but a few months ago I bought this bag from the local Louis dealer:

I found the bag to be extremely versatile, especially for those short trips involving overnight stays on the way. Everything stays so neat in it. Got a rainproof cover too. Using the seat attachment straps it can be worn like a back pack, and being exactly cabin luggage size, no problem on planes either. Actually I'll be taking this bag to my upcoming Caribbean winter holiday Banana
While the same brand might not be available everywhere, it's definitely worth consideration, alone or as an addition to saddlebags.

'13 Honda CB1100
'08 Honda CB1300
'06 Honda CBF1000
'96 Yamaha Diversion 900
'89 Honda Hawk GT(red)
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2018 04:03 AM by tuareg.)
01-03-2018 04:01 AM
cookiemech Offline
Running Like a Top

West Newton, Pennsylvania
Hmmm . . . seeing a lot of support for duffel bags to be strapped on the passenger part of the saddle. I suppose an advantage is that they have the potential for holding more volume than saddlebags.

I have a lot of experience with "real" touring bikes (have two BMWs and two Harleys, plus a KLR, all with big hard saddlebags) and like carrying weight lower on the bike, as well as being able to swing my leg over the saddle instead of picking it up and pulling it over the front of the saddle (though it's exactly what I have to do on my Road Glide Ultra due to the top box). The CB1100 would return me to the days when I had an XS650 Yamaha or a Triumph Bonneville (a real one, the kind that you could see through). Neither of those had any provision for carrying anything, including my lunch, so I had to improvise. My memory is dim, but I seem to recall putting some sort of soft saddlebags on the Triumph so I could make a trip back in 1982 . . .

So my question is whether the consensus is that it's "better" to have a set of soft saddlebags or just a duffel for the occasional overnight trip. This clearly would not be my only or my main bike; I just want the option of riding it more than 100 miles from home.
01-03-2018 04:38 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
I’ve not noticed a huge difference in my bike’s handling with my gear stowed high on the bike, but there is a difference. I’ve never had saddlebags, so I am only comparing loaded vs unloaded handling.

I think it’s easier to deal with one larger bag than two smaller ones at hotels or other overnight stops, but that’s just me. I have a rear rack now, so if I carry a second bag it’s mounted behind or in front of the first so I have no problem getting on or off the bike.

I don’t think there’s a best type of luggage. The top-mounted duffel works for me. Saddlebags may work for you. I only mentioned my duffel to give you my review of Dryspec’s products.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
01-03-2018 06:21 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I run soft bags, a tank bag, and a tail bag

The bags are small, but I know how to pack small. Over the years I have refined my list of what I need and don't need, for a couple of weeks on the road (indefinitely really) and it easily fits in this set up.

I stand on the downside peg to mount swinging my leg over the tail pack OR just karate kick thru the gap between tailpack and tank bag lol.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2018 07:51 AM by The ferret.)
01-03-2018 06:47 AM
jedd Offline
Running Like a Top

Austin, TX
Note: pay close attention to side turn signal location w/ saddle bag selection.

With the Dryspec saddles....I think they're too wide, but I could be wrong...

vs...say, Ferret's saddlebags.

Yes, his looks narrow, but, imo,that's about as wide as we can go w/o having to relocate the side turn signals.

Since you're lookint at Twisted gear, have you seen the dedicated street saddlebags for retro street bikes? SW MOTECH'S LEGEND bags...

This is what I think would work, but not sure if the width is going to interfere w/ the turn signals & your leg situation...

only way to find out is to fit one up, and
twisted throttle will refund / exchange w/o any drama.

(01-02-2018 05:59 AM)cookiemech Wrote:  Has anyone fitted the Dryspec D20 bags from Twisted Throttle (they show these as applicable to the CB1100)? I like the waterproofness and the appearance (for my purposes).

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/dryspec-d...rey-orange
01-03-2018 08:12 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Those Legend bags look nice Jedd. Thumbs Up

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2018 08:24 AM by The ferret.)
01-03-2018 08:24 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
But is he really $2,000 ahead? A 3 . . .misterprofessionality — 04:31 AM
But is he really $2,000 ahead? A 3 mod . . .m in sc — 03:32 AM